• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bargearse

Sep 9, 2013
    Hello everyone.

As you can see, the title saying "Moving to MD". My family and I are in the works of moving to Maryland state for two reasons. My wife's education and relocation of my employment to MD. Currently we are living in California.

What I am concerned are flux of newly enacted gun laws I had struggle to understand.

Couple of Semi Auto pistols .45, .40 and 9mm
    2 AR15 rifles. CA Compliant, aka the 'bullet button'
    1 AR10 rifle. CA compliant as well.
    couple of 10 round magazines
    couple of 30 round magazines in disassembled state as known as 'part kit'

Can I bring these all into MD and go through all the paperwork with state police?
    Can I have the 30 rounds assembled and use it for target and recreational shooting?
    Can I remove the bullet button?

Please advise. Kinda nervous about it and I am looking at Virginia which is a lot more pro 2A state. Unfortunately its the long driving times I do not recommend myself.

John//

Last edited:

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster

These are fine. Register them with the MSP and you should be good to go. Anything you own before 1 Oct 13 does not have the restrictions of SB281.

I do not think you have to register long rifles if owned before 1 Oct 13. You may need to register the AR-15 (as I'm not sure about that), but the AR-10 should be fine. Either way, you will be able to keep all of your rifles, even though they'll be technically banned after 1 Oct 13, because you owned them before 1 Oct 13.

It is illegal in the state of Maryland to assemble, manufacture, or transfer any magazines over 20 rounds (10 rounds after 1 Oct 13) within the borders of the state. Assemble these 'parts kits' while outside the state borders and they're perfectly legal to keep in your possession inside the state. You can take them to ranges, fill them up with 30 rounds, keep them in your rifles at home, etc.

Yes.

-----------------

SB281 is a huge mess, but to my interpretation...this info is correct. You'll probably hear some other variations of this. There are others here that should also help clarify as much as we possibly can of this huge mess of a bill that no one knows much about.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Hello everyone.

As you can see, the title saying "Moving to MD". My family and I are in the works of moving to Maryland state for two reasons. My wife's education and relocation of my employment to MD. Currently we are living in California.

What I am concerned are flux of newly enacted gun laws I had struggle to understand.

Can I bring these all into MD and go through all the paperwork with state police?
    Can I have the 30 rounds assembled and use it for target and recreational shooting?

Please advise. Kinda nervous about it and I am looking at Virginia which is a lot more pro 2A state. Unfortunately its the long driving times I do not recommend myself.

John//

The bullet buttons can come off. We don't have that restriction here (yet). 30 rd magazines are legal for possession and use, just not for transfer, meaning you cant sell them within the state boundaries but you can go to VA, PA and other free states and buy them to use here.

Stay way from MD or as I like to call it "little cali" or "Cali light"

G

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    depending on where you both will be working, VA might not be too bad a ride if you are interested in keeping your 2A rights.
    Check the map!!!

bargearse

Sep 9, 2013
    Ill be working in Sliver Springs. My wife will be working part time at Columbia and attends University to continue her education at Washington DC.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Traffic on 495 is almost always bad, even going from VA to MD western side of the loop.

If you can establish residency in MD before Oct 1, you will not have to do anything. Oct 1 or afterwards you will need to fill out the new form and submit it along with a fee to the MDSP.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Virginia is not too far behind Maryland politics. I wouldn't personally move there permanently as a young person.

It's sad when someone's introduction thread is filled with "don't move here"

Whatever, welcome. I'm sure you will find things you like And dislike compared to California, 2A is a bit better than current day CA.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Virginia is not too far behind Maryland politics. I wouldn't personally move there permanently as a young person.

It's sad when someone's introduction thread is filled with "don't move here"

Whatever, welcome. I'm sure you will find things you like And dislike compared to California, 2A is a bit better than current day CA.

Politics in general..yeah...but on 2A they are WORLDS apart. That's the truth.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 151

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Heed the warnings of the other posters... stay out of Maryland by all means. It is not worth your time or money. You will be taxed to death (and taxed when you die) and the constitution means nothing in this sad sack state, lead by a sad sack Governer O' smelly! Give another state your time, money.

Hope This Helps!!!

Silver Spring is quite close to Virginia. The issue is traffic- DC metro is comparable to LA as far as traffic goes- During rush hour it is common for a 10 mile highway commute to take well over an hour.
    If you won't be working a 9-5 type job avoid Maryland at all costs. If you need to commute 7-9:00am and 3-7:00pm, it might be your best bet to move to Maryland.
    Caveat- the only reason you should even fathom moving here is because you are used to Cali's BS laws- our new ones are just as bad. In VA you can buy a pistol w/17rd mags in <10 minutes and a CCW license is just an application away.

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    depends where in "Silver Spring" you are. Silver Spring is so HUGE it could mean down by the beltway or all the way up near Olney.

Remember that income taxes and almost all other taxes are lower in VA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom