Moving to MD with Class III - any thoughts???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • accur8shot

Jan 6, 2010
    can't remember
    Hello all - I am moving to Maryland from Florida in a couple of months. Apart from the premature withdrawal I'm feeling about giving up my concealed carry permit and rights, I have two Class III questions I'm hoping someone here can answer:

1) I have a Class III SBR and my trust is set up in Florida. Do I have to transfer or change my trust in any way?

2) I have a suppressor awaiting tax stamp. If I move before I receive the tax stamp, is there anything I must do, or do I need to notify ATF, etc?

Thanks for any advice you have. Also, if anyone knows any good rifle ranges in the Baltimore/DC area please let me know.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hello all - I am moving to Maryland from Florida in a couple of months. Apart from the premature withdrawal I'm feeling about giving up my concealed carry permit and rights, I have two Class III questions I'm hoping someone here can answer:

1) I have a Class III SBR and my trust is set up in Florida. Do I have to transfer or change my trust in any way?

2) I have a suppressor awaiting tax stamp. If I move before I receive the tax stamp, is there anything I must do, or do I need to notify ATF, etc?

Thanks for any advice you have. Also, if anyone knows any good rifle ranges in the Baltimore/DC area please let me know.

You will have to notify the ATF with a 5320-20

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

I would do EVERYTHING you can to stay out of MD and live in VA if possible. You don't have to register either of those weapons with the state, but you still need to properly notify the ATF 30 days in advance (iirc).

I don't know about any needed changes to the trust, I would assume that it would remain valid under FL law, but I am not a lawyer.

Mark

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Talk to your lawyer about your trust's legality in MD.
    Maryland's laws only concern MGs, so you're clear if your trust is ok.

Gunner71

Lone Wolf
    Mar 7, 2008
    right behind you
    Stop! Please hand over all of your firearms to me at once! For no person of sound mind would willingly move to the Peoples Republic of MD. Obviously you are unfit to own firearms. On the other hand, if this relocation is not of your own doing and you are forced to move to our wonderful little state, you may wish to take your collection on a boating trip up the Chesapeake. When the Coast Guard fishes you out of the water you can happily explain that you have no evil weapons to register any more as they are now safely on the bottom. :D

P.S.- If this disturbs you someone will be along shortly to let you in on our local secret. Welcome to the land restricted living;)

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Seriously, dont move up here. Move to VA if you like guns. Take Ahnulds advice when they tell you move to MD:
    Choppa_475.jpg

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Congrats . . any ideas where in MD you would be moving? Ranges are very locale-specific as far as what is "best" for a given person's needs.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Seriously, dont move up here. Move to VA if you like guns. Take Ahnulds advice when they tell you move to MD:
    Choppa_475.jpg

Other than gun laws Virgina sucks. If you choose where you live based purely on politics and gun legistation VA is great. But otherwise there's nothing about Virginia that makes me want to live there over Maryland. Next time I'm enjoying myself out on the bay and tieing up my boat at a bayside restaurant enjoying our beautiful state capital I'll think about "how bad I have it" here in Maryland. Jeeze folks, there's more to living than where you are allowed to carry your guns. I don't like the laws here either but I'm not going to live somewhere I don't want to based on gun laws alone. Until I retire I'm staying here in Maryland because I love it here.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    That's the same Bay bordered by Virginia right ?

Yeah but there's nothing down there. The eastern shore of VA sucks. Sail into Easton, Annapolis, Rock Hall, Baltimore, Kent Narrows, Chestertown, St. Michaels, etc. it's beautiful up here. As a boater I absolutely love the central (Annapolis/Kent Island) portion of the bay and all the tributaries. The lower portion of the bay just doesn't have nearly as much to offer in my opinion.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yes MD has a lot to offer but it all comes at a hefty price..... A price I'm personally tired of paying.

But to the OP, Welcome to MD and MDshooters!! We are fighting the good fight here to have our full 2A rights restored and have been making some progress.

NFA items are no big deal here and no need to register any of the stuff you have with the state, but the ATF will require notification.

And you can have a handgun permit here but it will require a employer that will allow you to get one becuase you carry business currency or there are some other rediculous requirements you can try to meet.

accur8shot

Jan 6, 2010
    can't remember
    I appreciate all the comments. I should say that I grew up in Baltimore, but haven't lived there since '91. I bought my first firearm a month after moving out of Maryland. Nowadays, I've got a nice collection and a concealed permit, and I carry everywhere I go. The difference in the feelings you have when carrying concealed in bad neighborhoods and in the times you've been in bad neighborhoods without carrying is enormous. The job offer is a major opportunity, but I haven't decided if I am going to take it. I'd be working in NE Baltimore.

Caveat Emptor

Jan 9, 2010
    Technicalty

I forget how long you have to be IN Maryland before you're considered a resident. Is it 30 days? Something like that.

Technically, if you're a Maryland resident before the tax stamp clears you may have a problem. As the transfer must take place in the state in which you reside.

Having said that, if you file an interstate transfer after the fact, I won't tell anyone.

Ideally, you'll get the SBR before you move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom