• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aztecs

Mar 16, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I have been a member of CA version of MDShooters (calguns.net) for many years and I am well versed on CA gun laws. I hate when these threads come up at cgn.net so I understand your frustration if this comes up frequently. In any case, our family is moving on short notice to MD and I would like some opinions on moving certain firearms into MD as my knowledge is limited. I thought CA laws were terrible, and they are, but MD has a very strange laws as well. Lets hope that changes for both states soon.

Looking forward to be reunited with my family. Will miss wearing flip flops 365 and great mexican food.

Anyway...

Any issues importing complete ar 15 lowers into the state?
    -Assume caliber is 223/5.56
    -I am aware of the HBar issue so uppers will not be assembled, or maybe sold before moving.

Any problem having an assembled dedicated 9mm AR?
    -Magwell is colt smg pattern only, no mag insert/block

Fun question:
    I have built AKM pattern rifles from flats (psl, rpk, ak74, etc). In terms of legal russian roulette, is it worth the trouble of bringing any of my home built "80%" ak rifles built before October 2013 (not sure if that is the correct date, going off memory only).

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    No problem bringing AR lowers into state. If owned before 10/1/2013 they can have any profile barrel. If purchased after they would have to be built HBAR. Lowers would have to be registered with State police just like handguns

9mm AR is no problem. No registration necessary.

I believe AK's would be fine if purchased before 10/1/2013 but I'm not an AK guy so someone else would be better to ask on that

Aztecs

Mar 16, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Awesome. Non of my lowes/AKs are purchase and registered. They are all 80% builds which makes proving they were manufactured before 10-13 tricky.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    If you have any ARs that are built like this you can leave them in Cal.

attachment.php

The MD gun laws are nonsensical and you can be thankful they are poorly written.

Welcome and check out the MD 2A forum for a lot of good info on moving here.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=158200

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Any HBAR configuration AR is fine, no registration.

Pre- Oct '13 non-HBAR can be brought, Registration required.

Generally , pre- Oct '13 AK can be brought, Registration required .

Generally a post Oct '13 AK RIFLE may not enter the state, except :

Certain AK-ish rifles on the "approved list " may be brought.

AK Pistols may be brought, Registration as with all handguns.

AK SBR ( that otherwise comply with M SBR rules ) may be brought.

Once in Md , there are certain AK pistols listed on the Handgun Roster .

While we may have HBAR issues with ARs, bullet buttons, and those wierd "non- pistol grip" stocks aren't a thing.

And our Handgun Roster listings don't expire . One on the Roster, it is forever and ever Amen . No further action or fees from mfg/ importer/ distributor required . Any dealer or any individual may petition for a Handgun to be added to Roster. Virtually all are approved, just the time and hassle of it .

Congradulations ! By moving here from Cali , you are jumping from the Fire into the Frying Pan .

As far as 80% receivers go, if you have a receipt for them being purchased prior to 10/2013, you should be good to go. There was a big issue here in MD with Polymer80 stalling and stalling with their release and not making their debut until after 10/1/2013- even though a bunch of MD residents pre-ordered them thinking they would be shipped in May/June. My point? There is no way a Polymer80 80% receiver was legally built prior to 10/2013, so they must follow the HBAR ruling.
    FWIW- CA gun laws are more strict than MD, but MD laws are much more confusing and hard to follow.

EDIT- We have lots of good Mexican food here and GREAT Salvadoran food. For some reason, MD (Baltimore) is a very popular destination for Salvadoran immigrants.

Aztecs

Mar 16, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the help guys. I didnt proof read my post so I apologize if i pulled a tehre hanges.

You are right about how strict CA gun laws are, but they at least are easy to understand. Maryland laws appear as the lawmakers shot from the hip, so to speak.

I will likely leave the AKs here in CA. I just want to make sure that when I arrive with stripped/completed 80% AR lowers with no uppers installed, MSP isn't going to react in the wrong way.

I am looking forward to being able to enjoy a larger list of pistols, no bullet button, and maybe an SBR in the future (?).

Am I also correct in the notion that possessing a standard capacity magazine is not prohibited if one were to purchase from out of state?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks for the help guys. I didnt proof read my post so I apologize if i pulled a tehre hanges.

You are right about how strict CA gun laws are, but they at least are easy to understand. Maryland laws appear as the lawmakers shot from the hip, so to speak.

I will likely leave the AKs here in CA. I just want to make sure that when I arrive with stripped/completed 80% AR lowers with no uppers installed, MSP isn't going to react in the wrong way.

I am looking forward to being able to enjoy a larger list of pistols, no bullet button, and maybe an SBR in the future (?).

Am I also correct in the notion that possessing a standard capacity magazine is not prohibited if one were to purchase from out of state?

Correct on magazines. Cannot purchase or transfer anything over 10 rounds in MD. Buy all the standard capacity mags you want and bring em with you.
    Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You do not have to prove you built your 80%ers before 10/1/13. The state has to prove that you did not.

BUT, you will have the hassle of court and legal fees.

So anything you have that would help show they are pre-10/1/13 would be good. Heck, even posting about building them on CalGuns would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom