• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So, we are moving to PA on the 16th. Done with Maryland. We figure it’s going to take us a while to get settled and organized so we will probably be eating out a fair amount for a few weeks at least. We are moving to a 55+ community called Amblebrook, very close to Rt. 15 on Rt. 394, Shriners Corner Rd. The only two places we have eaten so far are the diner/truck stop at the intersection of those 2 roads (we’ll probably be there quite a bit, real convenient). We’ve also eaten at Appalachian Brewing Co a few times. Anybody know of some other convenient places ? Neither of us are looking for anything fancy; we’re pretty simple about food.

Apparently the closest town of any sort, besides Gettysburg, is Hunterstown but we know nothing about it.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    Congrats on your escape.

There seems to be a lot of choices nearby:

1700415241590.png

There seems to be lots to do in the community...

1700415344238.png

One can even hang out with the lady with the blue/purple hair ;-)

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

smkranz, and I went here after picking up our Pa permits

Excellent place

And we had a Guinness while packing iron (the horror!!!)

Screenshot_20231119-130902~2.png

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Costco has some really good premade meals that you just pop in the oven.
    Actually, we’re pretty big on some of those. They have a Mexican sort of dish they prepare in the store using their rotisserie chicken that we really like, heat and serve. They also have this pre-cooked box dinner we like, Ruprecht’s Irish Stew, seems quite good to me. https://www.ruprecht.com/irish-stew

It appears that the Frederick Costco will be the closest one, which is fine, just have to plan our trips a bit more than we have.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Actually, we’re pretty big on some of those. They have a Mexican sort of dish they prepare in the store using their rotisserie chicken that we really like, heat and serve. They also have this pre-cooked box dinner we like, Ruprecht’s Irish Stew, seems quite good to me. https://www.ruprecht.com/irish-stew

It appears that the Frederick Costco will be the closest one, which is fine, just have to plan our trips a bit more than we have.
    Frederick Wegmans has some pretty good packaged meals. Everything from pepper steak with udon noodles, chicken parmigan, salmon with mushrooms and teriyaki glaze, and more. Can get individual or family sized meals.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Welcome to PA. I'm maybe 10 minutes from you up route 15.

Mason dixon distillery is one of my favorite places to eat. There really isn't much in Hunterstown.

Edit: New Oxford is really close to you and has a decent little coffee shop/bakery, & icecream.

BugLaden

Mar 8, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    There is a Sam's Club in Hanover. That will be closer to you than Frederick Costco.

Been in Littlestown since 2020, so still consider myself learning about stuff in the area. While Gettysburg has good food (love Gettysburg) it has tourist prices. ABC (which you mentioned) is our favorite place to go because of that wonderful biergarten. By all means when it gets warm again, grab a beer every day you can and sit next to the battlefield in their biergarten. We call it "our happy place". Garry Owens is a great place as well.

The only other options for food not mentioned here are the ones in Hanover. It's not that far from you and has a lot of options.

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    Earls Inn on Rt 30 a few miles east of the HD dealer, and the Blue and Grey Pub on the town square in Gettysburg. Notoriously good food and big portions at both places

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Thanks all! We aren’t very adventurous so dining out is a sizable part of our “out and about” type activities. Mostly we are at home with the cats or, in the evening, listening to music, or watching movies or TV shows. There is some physical therapy stuff available right there in Amblebrook so I will probably try to get with some program to see if they can do something to help my legs. Sure will be glad when this is behind us.

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    Wow, I was just checking out Earl’s web page and menu. They have been there since 1933, got to be doing something right. It will be very close so definitely going to give it a try soon.
    It will appear as a hole in the wall type bar, bike friendly etc..but don't let that fool ya, good food, nice people, good times.

If you go to Blue and Grey, they double the meat (beef patties, bacon, crab cake, etc..) on their burgers for $2 or $3. Its enough to do open face and split with the OL.

Being from MD I only get up there a few time a year, hopefully not much (nothing) has changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom