• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billprudden

Nov 24, 2008
    Hello -

Saturday March 28th will be an informal movers workshop at Reade Range in Altoona PA. No details yet.

If this appeals give me a shout at billprudden at hotmail dot com.

Bill

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Bill, thank you for your efforts in setting this opportunity up with your club! :party29:

This should be a great chance to do something a little out of the ordinary. :gun1:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Yes, moving rifle targets.

There are some practical/tactical matches held around the country that require successful completion of a "movers" stage. The well rounded competitive rifleman should at least have some exposure to it anyway, ideally prior to shooting matches. A recent event we participated in required hitting movers at a walking pace from distances between 300 and 600 yards.

We will screw or staple a cardboard cutout target to a 1x2 @ 10' long, which will serve as a handle. The person serving as target carrier will be safely sheltered in the pit area, and use the 1x2 to raise the target above the berm, where it will be visible to the shooters. He will be able to both see and feel bullet impacts and can use spotting disks to mark the hits for the shooter.

This is the thread to discuss this event and who will attend, but there is more discussion on the basic mechanics over here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=11471

rummy

Jan 11, 2008
    sounds like a lot of fun. anything that goes beyond the typical, two-handed, weaver-stance of doom - or in this case, the typical uber-tac-ar being shot off a bench - is good to go in my book.

billprudden

Nov 24, 2008
    Hello all -

Details:

Saturday March 28th Reade Range in Altoona, PA.

Noon start time, figure to be done by 6pm.

16 shooters only. $20 a shooter – $10 for materials, $10 as a donation to the range.

The plan is to have 4 pairs of shooters / spotters (flipping roles) firing at once (eight humans on the firing line) and 4 "walkers" in the pits each carrying a stick with a narrow cardboard silhouette. The shooting pairs will start at the 300 yard line and get data as quickly as possible, then move back in 100 yard increments until the exercise becomes one of diminishing returns. Hits will be indicated by the walkers and misses will be called by the shooters / spotters. When the shooters / spotters have gotten data from 300 to the stop point those participants will go into the pits and the walkers will become shooters / spotters...

It is my intention that, via walkee-talkees, each of the four teams can radio their walker when they are done with slow walk and ready for fast walk at each hundred yard line. I am hoping that intimate communication and small numbers can allow this exercise and indeed, whole day, to be as efficient as possible.

The goals of this day are to 1) get real data for slow and fast walk movers from 300 to perhaps 800 yards and 2) reinforce the fundamentals that allow us to hit movers in the first place, including trigger control, use of the reticle, and shooter / spotter dialogue. We do not anticipate any sort of moving chaos, multiple speed, or time pressure fun and games on this day.

If you would like to reserve a spot please email me at billprudden at hotmail dot com. Don't worry about money; we'll handle that the day of the shoot. But, if you reserve a spot and then something comes up before the event, please let me know.

See you there!

Bill

billprudden

Nov 24, 2008
    Minimum numbers fired would be something like a pair of rounds at slow and fast moving walkers at 5 distances = 20 rounds, but somehow I suspect it will take more than that...

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    FWIW, as far out as this thing is scheduled, there are only a couple openings not spoken for at this time.

Anyone interested in joining us for this workshop needs to e-mail Bill NOW to reserve a spot on the roster. :deadhorse:

Marc, Bill has you and Dylan down.
    Sam, Bill has you on the list too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom