• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I have a question, I'm new to MD, I moved here from out of state where I purchased a pistol from the out of state gun shop years ago. Do I have to register this pistol in MD? I went through the normal 4473 paperwork drill when I originally bought the pistol in my old state.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have a question, I'm new to MD, I moved here from out of state where I purchased a pistol from the out of state gun shop years ago. Do I have to register this pistol in MD? I went through the normal 4473 paperwork drill when I originally bought the pistol in my old state.

No.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    As long as it was originally purchased legally you are good

the MD law states registration is VOLUNTARY...meaning DON'T DO IT

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Hell no. Registration is voluntary. MD doesn't really regulate the ownership so much (in general), mostly just transfers. If you already own it, you're good-to-go.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    This is on the up and up, bought it at a normal gun shop. I just wanted to make sure because I hear strange things about MD gun laws. Thanks!

Like they said, you're good to go.
    MD law regarding handguns is actually somewhat straight forward. It's the regulated vs unregulated long guns, magazine capacity, and transportation laws that are muddy.

I have another question, now that I am a MD resident can I buy an AR-15 from a gun dealer in VA? I would have to fill out the normal 4473 and go through the federal legal process to purchase the gun. Would this have to get registerd with MD? It's only a semi, but on the MD assult weapons list.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I have another question, now that I am a MD resident can I buy an AR-15 from a gun dealer in VA? I would have to fill out the normal 4473 and go through the federal legal process to purchase the gun. Would this have to get registerd with MD? It's only a semi, but on the MD assult weapons list.

Since it's a regulated weapon, you'd have to have it shipped to a Maryland FFL to process the transaction.

I believe you could get the HBAR variant though, since it is not regulated.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    You'd be better to just buy the AR here in MD. It would save you the hassle and fees of the transfer to a MD FFL. And in MD, regulated things like ARs require you to fill out a small book as opposed to a simple 4473.

Where abouts in the state are you? We can recommend good shops.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    That makes sense, ship it from the VA FFL to the MD FFL since it is on the MD list of assult weapons. Thanks!

It is probably easier for you to contact an Industry Partner here and purchase it.

The Virginia FFL is probably going to charge you to ship it to the MD FFL which prob will neglect savings you might get.

Also, if your at a gun show, the FFL might not feel like holding it to ship it back.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Are you here on military orders?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have a question, I'm new to MD, I moved here from out of state where I purchased a pistol from the out of state gun shop years ago. Do I have to register this pistol in MD? I went through the normal 4473 paperwork drill when I originally bought the pistol in my old state.

If you had done this in NJ, NY, or CA... and then posted about it... You'd likely already be headed to jail. :lol2:

I was wondering, there were some good deals at the VA gun show over the weekend. Your advice about just buying the AR-15 in MD sounds like the best way to go here. Just pay a little more in MD, but the paperwork in the long run will be easier and my main concern is staying legal here. Thanks!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    If you had done this in NJ, NY, or CA... and then posted about it... You'd likely already be headed to jail. :lol2:

Don't forget IL, since you need a FOID to own a firearm.

CA gives a new resident a certain amount of time to register a handgun but depending on what mag capacity, the mags could be illegal the second the owner carried them over the state line.

To the OP, the only possible issue you might have is if your handgun is not on the MD approved handgun list and you decide to sell it here. My previous text only applies if the handgun was made on or after 1/1/1985.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hello and welcome to MDS

Please consider joining Maryland Shall Issue, the only grassroots organization fighting for your 2A rights in MD.

www.marylandshallissue.org

Attachments

• MSI_Banner.jpg
      MSI_Banner.jpg
      15.9 KB · Views: 97

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12