• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    Hey guys
    I am stationed in MD with the Army, but my state of record is MA. I have a few rifles that I want to bring down with me next time I go home. They are legal in MA and obviously I went through the proper legal channels to obtain them there, but can I bring them into MD with me without any issue? Just a couple shotguns and an AK47. The AK is specifically what I'm wondering about. Ive heard that when you are stationed in a state its like your a resident of that state so can I sell my AK down here? What about pistols can I bring them down here with me without any issue? Ive tried to read laws but there is some complicated language there and I figure that you guys will be familiar with them in plain language. Thanks Guys

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In short, yes you can bring them down. I presume you are living off post, hence the questions?

If you want to sell the AK in MD, it is a regulated firearm and you will need to either go through a dealer or do it at an MSP barracks. Handguns in Maryland are fine as long as they are on the approved list.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    The only problem you will face is in MD you can only transport a handgun for certain things, like going to the range, to a shoot, taking it to the gun dealer - stuff like that. You just can't ride around with it in the car all the time. That only applies to handguns. In theory you can ride around all the time with the AK although that wouldn't be the smartest thing in the world.

You trip to MA to MD with your handguns is an interstate trip, so federal law preempts MD law as long as you transport it properly (unloaded, etc). Assuming you go through NJ you face more peril there than you do in MD.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    All the above is as of today. Oct 1 2013 the situation changes.

The only thing that changes is selling the AK in state, if the OP wants to do that, I would suggest going back home and doing it.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I would keep them out of sight when you bring them to MD. Don't advertise the fact that you are carrying rifles into your new apartment.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Hey guys
    I am stationed in MD with the Army, but my state of record is MA. I have a few rifles that I want to bring down with me next time I go home. They are legal in MA and obviously I went through the proper legal channels to obtain them there, but can I bring them into MD with me without any issue? Just a couple shotguns and an AK47. The AK is specifically what I'm wondering about. Ive heard that when you are stationed in a state its like your a resident of that state so can I sell my AK down here? What about pistols can I bring them down here with me without any issue? Ive tried to read laws but there is some complicated language there and I figure that you guys will be familiar with them in plain language. Thanks Guys

Right now you should be fine. You can bring them in the state as long as you follow the Federal guidelines for interstate travel. Guns purchased after 10/1/2013 will be an issue so if you buy something like an AK after 10/1/2013 in your home state you wont be allowed to bring it into Maryland.

Selling Prior to 10/1 inside the state wont be much of an issue but the buyer of the AK47 will have to go though a Maryland Background check. Most FFL will sell the gun on consignment and wont be an issue. You can still do a private sale with someone inside Maryland but both the buyer and sell need to go to an MSP barracks and fill out a transfer forms. 7 Days later you can complete the sale without an issue. After 10/1 you can only sell it outside the state of Maryland so you will have to go though an FFL.

Note as long as the AK47 is bought before 10/1/2013 you will not have a problem bring in (even after 10/1) or keeping it in the state of MD but any bought after 10/1/2013 can't be brought into the state.

If your orders are for a base in VA or DC then you are considered out of state even if the address were you are living is inside MD.

Thanks
    Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom