moved to md from ny do i transfer guns i owned there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rfdallas

Feb 18, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    i moved to MD from NY. i was wondering if i needed to do any paper work transfers? i have a Conceal Carry from NY (i know its not good here) with all the handguns i owned there 1911, kel-tec p11, beretta 21a s&w .38 special. i also have a Mini 14 from there also. what paper work do i need if any. i also bought a handgun while i lived in MD from a dealer and 3 rifles all from gun store here. they were done correct. i want to do it all legal.

inconel710

Feb 24, 2008
    As far as I was able to determine when I moved here, nothing is required. If one of your guns is not on the "approved" list, you will not be able to transfer it to another MD resident while you live here. That's the only restriction I'm aware of. Wait for for Novus to chime in. He studies this legal BS.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    For those guns, no paperwork, no registration, no MD license or permit to own, no notification whatsoever.
    Enjoy, our MD gun laws are a bitch, but compared to NY, with the exception of concealed carry, we will feel like heaven.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    as long as it is not an "assault pistol" as defined by this list, you are OK:

1.AA Arms AP-9 semi-automatics
    2.Bushmaster semi-automatic pistol;
    3.Claridge HI-TEC, semi-automatic pistol;
    4.D Max Industries semi-automatic pistol;
    5.Encom MK-IV, MP-9, MP-45 semi-automatic pistols;
    6.Heckler and Koch semi-automatic pistol SP-89;
    7.Holmes MP-83 semi-automatic pistol;
    8.Ingram MAC 10/11 semi-automatic pistol and any variation including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
    9.Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 in any centerfire variation;
    10.P.A.W.S. type semi-automatic pistol;
    11.Skorpion semi-automatic pistol;
    12.Spectre double action semi-automatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
    13.UZI semi-automatic pistol;
    14.Weaver Arms semi-automatic Nighthawk pistol; and
    15.Wilkinson semi-automatic "Linda" pistol.

Some handguns that you own that aren't on the "approved" handgun roster may not be able to be sold in MD should you choose to do so at a later date, but as far as bringing them here, you're OK.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    As far as I was able to determine when I moved here, nothing is required. If one of your guns is not on the "approved" list, you will not be able to transfer it to another MD resident while you live here. That's the only restriction I'm aware of. Wait for for Novus to chime in. He studies this legal BS.

From what I understand it does not apply to all transfers. It applies to manufacture for sale, offer for sale and sale, but it says nothing about gifts. So as I read it, if it is not on the handgun roster, you can still gift it to someone going through the MD transfer process.

I am not a lawyer.

rfdallas

Feb 18, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    this forum is great. what i don't know someone else will. and everyone here has for the most part the same interest. guns and shooting, collecting and sharing knowledge. thanks

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    thank you very much. i feel better knowing that i am legal. the rifle i have is a mini 14. no folding stock.
    Even if it had a folding stock, even if it had a 30 round mag, even if it was a short barreled rifle, even if it was full auto with a grenade launcher attached, it would still be legal in MD. The only time you would have to notify the state is for the NFA items for moving here maybe (not sure) and for full auto you need to register every year with the state.

We have something called an "assault weapons" list, but they are not banned firearms, they are just treated the same as reguated handguns (age restriction and different purchasing/transfer procedure than unregulated long guns).
    The only items banned in MD are the so called "assault pistols" and even then it is not by feature, it is only a small list of handguns most of which have not been made in ten or fifteen years. The so called "assault pistols" can also be legal in MD though if they are converted to NFA devices and federally registered.
    NOne of the guns you listed are on the so called "assaault pistols" list.

By the way, MD gun laws can be a hassle when purchasing, so if you get a C&R FFL as well as a MD designated collectors status (two separate things), it makes things much, much easier.

rfdallas

Feb 18, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    i already mailed in my MD designated collectors. and have tried about 10 times on the atf website that i got from here to apply for my C&R FFL and noting. i even PMed you to see if you had a copy of one you could email me.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    i already mailed in my MD designated collectors. and have tried about 10 times on the atf website that i got from here to apply for my C&R FFL and noting. i even PMed you to see if you had a copy of one you could email me.
    Oh damn, that's right. :o

Sorry, I have gotten a lot of PMs lately.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    For those guns, no paperwork, no registration, no MD license or permit to own, no notification whatsoever.
    Enjoy, our MD gun laws are a bitch, but compared to NY, with the exception of concealed carry, we will feel like heaven.

Dude... NY is NOTHING compared to New Jersey, and MD actually has it VERY good compared to either of the two.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Dude... NY is NOTHING compared to New Jersey, and MD actually has it VERY good compared to either of the two.

Oh yeah, I've heard horror stories from NJ as well, but at least in NJ you can still buy and own so called "assault firearms" and large magazines which is impossible in NY.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Oh yeah, I've heard horror stories from NJ as well, but at least in NJ you can still buy and own so called "assault firearms" and large magazines which is impossible in NY.

Nope... Assualt firearms are generally illegal, and can only be sold / kept by registered owners that use them for compeition. (You have to reapply every year...)

Furthermore, magazines can not be larger than 10 rounds.

They are talking about having to have an Arsenal license if own more than 5 firearms, requring smart technology firearms and a ban on any handgun that doesn't use it the MOMENT even ONE manufacturer makes one.

(Never mind that Smith tried that and found they went full auto...)

NJ is insane...

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

NJ is 15 rounds for rifles. So basically you are stuck with 10 round mags unless they still allow a person outside the state to rivet a block into a 20 round mag to reduce capacity.

Let's not forget NJ's rules on hollow point ammo for handguns.

rfdallas

Feb 18, 2009
    Frederick, MD

in NY you can even hold a handgun in a store uless you have a carry license. i had to take a psychological test and pass before they will give you one. i am from the city. worked in queens and lived in L.I.

rfdallas

Feb 18, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    One sister is in Queens and a cousin is in Brooklyn. Had family that lived on L.I. before they retired and moved elsewhere.

i am glad i am out of ny. it takes forever just to get out of there. the gun laws are very leanyant compared to were i am from. this is heaven for me.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Nope... Assualt firearms are generally illegal, and can only be sold / kept by registered owners that use them for compeition. (You have to reapply every year...)

According to the NRA State Laws page, you can buy and own the so called "assault firearms" with a "machine gun license", and the magazine limit is fifteen rounds unless you have a machine gun license or an "assault firearm" registered before 1991 without a machine gun license.

They are talking about having to have an Arsenal license if own more than 5 firearms, requring smart technology firearms and a ban on any handgun that doesn't use it the MOMENT even ONE manufacturer makes one.

(Never mind that Smith tried that and found they went full auto...)

NJ is insane...
    No doubt, it could be way worse at any time there and it would not surprise me one bit.
    We are lucky that this year in MD the only anti gun bills there really were that had any chance were the restraining order bills. Other than that we have not heard much of a peep from the antis....maybe they gave up and all moved to NJ. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom