• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If you're new to boating and not sure what you want or need I suggest you look at joining a boating club. There are many on the bay that offer different size boats to rent/use. Figure out what type of boating you prefer (fishing, cruising, skiing, etc.) and then buy a boat that fills the need. Some clubs even offer classes on the skills you will need to be a competent boater. It takes a lot more knowledge than just being able to steer the boat.

If you were born after 1972 in MD you will need a boater education safety certification, if you do any boating in DC you will need a certification regardless of when you were born. Here is a link the MD online course: https://www.boat-ed.com/maryland/?g...jH3vuJXgGjSeWTh4ITtUUUTjE0WWFDy6PkaAvJD8P8HAQ

This sounds like good advice. I'd imagine that realizing you bought the wrong boat could get really expensive really quickly...or maybe ruin the hobby for you altogether.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    This sounds like good advice. I'd imagine that realizing you bought the wrong boat could get really expensive really quickly...or maybe ruin the hobby for you altogether.

Boaters upsize and downsize boats all the time. A good reason not to buy new.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I will 3rd the recommendation for a Carolina Skiff along with lessons etc. The bay can get nasty pretty quickly. You could leave for a river when the bay is nice and calm. Get into a river and fish for a while. You turn to go home and it is a turbulent mess. BTDT. I had a 21' Chris Craft center console and I never want to make that trip again...and I thank the lord that I had some experience.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Go BIG... or go home...:D

Attachments

• 062908_14013.jpg
      062908_14013.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 281

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well, depends on where you will boat.
    You can:
    Tow
    Slip
    Boatel (boat motel)

How many in your family and what are the ages. If they are old enough to help, that makes a big difference.
    Cruising around the bay will get old quick.
    Some rivers stay pretty calm, but once you get onto the Chesapeake bay, it gets REALLY ROUGH really quick. I've seen people go across the bay in 19' open bowriders early only to get stuck cause its 3' nasty chop on the way back.
    I used to boat on the south river and Rhode river but I know things can be calmer around Baltimore (some places).
    Where its rough, you need a deep V hull boat or your gonna get wet (or worse).
    Definitely take the course. There is a boat club up off Rt 100 to the east I recall (if its still there). One time membership then monthly fee (you pay year round) but you don't have to pay maintenance or all the headaches.
    I never had any luck fishing in the rivers of the bay.
    I had a 28' cuddy cabin for 8 years (1 year on the bay, 7 in Ocean City)
    I have a Pontoon and 2 Jet Skis in Ocean City now.
    Boats need to be used, If they sit, they age faster. they also take way more maintenance than a car, you don't simply get in turn the key and drive.

READ some boating forum newbie posts. (thehulltruth.com)
    If possible find a friend to go boating with. By gosh by golly, give the guy gas money too! Find out how much gas he uses before you embarrass yourself and give him $10 and find out he spent $150 taking you out in his twin 300 Center Console.

LONGSHOT

May 7, 2011
    ABERDEEN,HARFORD
    best two days of a boat owner,the day he buys it and the day he sells it ! hole in water you throw money in. if you live on the water and can use the boat several times a week,other wise you may get to use it 10 times a season,if that's the case rent a boat!

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Never approach a dock faster than you're willing to hit it. :innocent0

x2. Caroline skiffs are nice, although they can roll when swamped, which could be easy to do. depending on conditions and being a skiff. I have seen bay/tributary's go from dead flat to 6ft+ in less than 2 hours, and that wasn't even from a storm. What every you do, know your limitations and the limitations of your boat.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I thought this thread was about motorboating....sorry I'm disappointed.
    So...me too...but there's still time...

Back to his intention.

If you buy a boat with some forethought, you can save yourself some later frustration, hassle and maybe keep safe.

Folks have recommended Carolina skiff. You're focused on aluminum and Jon boat from the sound of it. Aluminum is light and forgiving...it is not naturally buoyant. Something to consider should things go awry on the h2o. Another consideration (beyond how it looks) is hull form. Educate yourself a wee bit on the subject. Learn a bit about draft and freeboard and the relationship between beam and oal. Stability is important. While you're at it, you might want to understand what is a chine and why it is important. This won't take long but will provide much in return relative to your knowledge, confidence and ability to enjoy boating and know your boat. Also, where outboards are concerned, understand the importance of your fuel and know what cheap gas does to the internals of an outboard. Never buy cheap gas. Never leave the gas in the tank for longer than a month or so.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it... OTOH, you may want to continue your knowledge quest even beyond your purchase.

Buy smart. Boat safe.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Lots of good advice here. I will check out the boating course available online. Small fishing boat on a trailer could be a start.

Raven-lab

Feb 15, 2013
    Catonsville
    Knowing where you will be doing most of your boating can help you decide on the size, a flat bottom can beat you up pretty good vs. a V hull. I had a 21' Searay 16 yrs ago (kept in a slip) and did most of my boating in the Middle River area. It was great for that area, weekends it can get pretty rough and you would not want to go out into the bay, just need to keep an eye on the weather.

Knowing that I would not always have someone to go out with on a trailered boat, so my focus was this time around was a high and dry. The boss wanted creature comforts so I ended up with a 27ft this year which gives me a bigger range better stability and a bigger hole to shovel $$ into.

Having a trailerable boat allows you to explore most of the bay - and not burn a lot of boat gas. Fishing / crabbing is easy from many of the ramps that are around.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I've been boating on the bay for several years and I love it. Take you time figuring out where and how you want to use your boat. Do your research, go to boats shows and go for it. Life is not a dress rehearsal!

NickG

Feb 2, 2016
    Can't beat a 16' aluminum v hull with 15 hp motor. Crabbing, fishing, putting around, you can do it all, on a budget. It won't do anything great, but it will do lots of things acceptably. Own that for a year, then see what you really want.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    SeaRay 180 with 135hp. Sucks in the bay if it's not absolutely perfect weather. I've had boats all my life and I can tell the bay is not all fun and games. Look at 24 foot minimum. Get enough power to get off the bay fast. The weather changes in the blink of an eye.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    SeaRay 180 with 135hp. Sucks in the bay if it's not absolutely perfect weather. I've had boats all my life and I can tell the bay is not all fun and games. Look at 24 foot minimum. Get enough power to get off the bay fast. The weather changes in the blink of an eye.

Lol....that's my exact boat. And yes, I've missed a lot of decent days on the water because it was just a little too windy. However, I have had many great ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom