• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    "On another board", the owner had in recent past been in charge of a trailer load of Full auto M16 used in heavy training cycles. He exclusivly used Mobil 1, with no issues ever. Would periodically grab a bottle off shelf without even looking at wt.
    Another member there in addition to his shooting and LE background knows his chemical engineering, shared more engeneering data on every Mobil 1 product than I could pick up. Some long esoteric debates about exact flash points , pour points, etc and trace additives between the piston aircraft flavor and aircooled motorcycle flavor.
    But with my humble 1.5 years being pushed out the door of Engineering school it seems that 90% of Mobil 1 product line would be fine for 99.99% of users 99.99% of time.

"To Me", my particular factor in choosing a direct impingment lube would be capacity to hold ash (aka trash & gunk) in suspension while continueing to lubricate. This is found in Diesiel rated, or cross rated oils. Alas this is the one product NOT in Mobil 1 line up. So for me this calls for Rotella T Synthetic 5W-50. Delo400 Synthetic probably very similar, but Rotella is easier to find consistantly.

All this talk of generous use of motor oil lubing presuposses not for use in desert enviromnent, or sandy conditions.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    "On another board", the owner had in recent past been in charge of a trailer load of Full auto M16 used in heavy training cycles. He exclusivly used Mobil 1, with no issues ever. Would periodically grab a bottle off shelf without even looking at wt.
    Another member there in addition to his shooting and LE background knows his chemical engineering, shared more engeneering data on every Mobil 1 product than I could pick up. Some long esoteric debates about exact flash points , pour points, etc and trace additives between the piston aircraft flavor and aircooled motorcycle flavor.
    But with my humble 1.5 years being pushed out the door of Engineering school it seems that 90% of Mobil 1 product line would be fine for 99.99% of users 99.99% of time.

"To Me", my particular factor in choosing a direct impingment lube would be capacity to hold ash (aka trash & gunk) in suspension while continueing to lubricate. This is found in Diesiel rated, or cross rated oils. Alas this is the one product NOT in Mobil 1 line up. So for me this calls for Rotella T Synthetic 5W-50. Delo400 Synthetic probably very similar, but Rotella is easier to find consistantly.

All this talk of generous use of motor oil lubing presuposses not for use in desert enviromnent, or sandy conditions.

reminds me of this little gem...
    http://www.somdnews.com/stories/04242009/indybus145727_32181.shtml

Scott's Gunsmithing

Industry Partner
    Mar 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    good ol state boys...
    www.militec-1.com/marylandpolice2.pdf

I don't trust militec as a protectant, but it does a nice job of making parts slippery when baked in to them and makes it easier to wipe off the gunk. the easiest place to see this is the feed ramp. try some militec on the feed ramp and then compare cleaning before and after. after militec'ing the feedramp a microfiber cloth completely wipes everything off.

what in particular don't you like about tetra or militec? the carrier grease isn't bad by itself and with the ptfe in it seems to do nice at lasting.

We get in a fair amount of firearms that are treated with Miltec that wont run. Simply changing the lubricant to an alternative fixes the problems. That say ALOT about that product. Also cleaning a Miltec treated firearm is similar to cleaning a 30 year old WD40 treated firearm, lots of gummed up junk inside.

Miltec has no corrosion protection properties and gums up in dirty guns. its terrible stuff. Its really terrible. They also use dead soldiers to market their "amazing product" :sad20:. Its really bad form. It was originally developed as an addative like "slick 50" and they couldnt sell it so they turned to naive gun owners.

FWIW, a good/properly polished feed ramp job negates the need to lube a feed ramp with anything. A properly polished ramp will never allow buildup to stick.

The Tetra grease is ok, but why pay so much for the grease when you cen get 50x the amount of syn. wheel bearing grease that perform on the same level?

I dont condone people spending excessive amounts of money on gun cleaners and lubes unless they do something other more affordable alternatives dont (AKA: Breakfree CLP, Wipe Out Bore Foam, Ballistol, Carbon Killer, Barricade, ect...)

BTW, Chad did a thread about this not too long ago, it was already linked in this thread. Chad has tested about every gun product on the market and he rarely has anything negative to say about any gun products. He will admit when things meet a percieved need and discard expensive products if they dont exceed another more affordable products performance.

In the end its up to the user to decide what they want to use, but we would prefer to give good advice for people to care for and maintain their weapons, so they dont need our services.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    We get in a fair amount of firearms that are treated with Miltec that wont run. Simply changing the lubricant to an alternative fixes the problems. That say ALOT about that product. Also cleaning a Miltec treated firearm is similar to cleaning a 30 year old WD40 treated firearm, lots of gummed up junk inside.

Miltec has no corrosion protection properties and gums up in dirty guns. its terrible stuff. Its really terrible. They also use dead soldiers to market their "amazing product" :sad20:. Its really bad form. It was originally developed as an addative like "slick 50" and they couldnt sell it so they turned to naive gun owners.

FWIW, a good/properly polished feed ramp job negates the need to lube a feed ramp with anything. A properly polished ramp will never allow buildup to stick.

The Tetra grease is ok, but why pay so much for the grease when you cen get 50x the amount of syn. wheel bearing grease that perform on the same level?

I dont condone people spending excessive amounts of money on gun cleaners and lubes unless they do something other more affordable alternatives dont (AKA: Breakfree CLP, Wipe Out Bore Foam, Ballistol, Carbon Killer, Barricade, ect...)

BTW, Chad did a thread about this not too long ago, it was already linked in this thread. Chad has tested about every gun product on the market and he rarely has anything negative to say about any gun products. He will admit when things meet a percieved need and discard expensive products if they dont exceed another more affordable products performance.

In the end its up to the user to decide what they want to use, but we would prefer to give good advice for people to care for and maintain their weapons, so they dont need our services.

cool, thanks for the response :thumbsup:

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    This isn't about ARs, but ISTR reading that one of the recommended procedures before shooting a 1919a4 was to really lube the internals with motor oil until the oil is literally dripping out the bottom.

Sort of like filling the fuel tanks of an SR-71 Blackbird before it takes off.

Bryan

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    I know a IBS Shooter who took home first place in one of the challenges who uses motor head oil. I think the oil they use to hone the Piston Cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom