• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    my wife shot a Mossberg 702 plinkster so now she wants one lol so i was wondering if this would be good, or if the scope that comes on it isn't worth the extra money. should i just purchase one seperately, and put on the rifle, or is the one included good enough for plinking? also anything other suggestions as far as a .22 plinking rifle other than the 702? i can get the 702 for $109 w/o the scope or $156 with the scope heres a link to the one i was talking about coming with the scope. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540267/Mossberg+702+PLKR+22LR+18+WSCP+BTM

woodrow76

May 27, 2011
    Cecil-tucky
    I have never handled or shot the 702 Plinkster but another suggestion for a plinker .22LR would be a Ruger 10/22. I have a 10/22 and it's a fun rifle to shoot. Plus there is a lot of aftermarket support for the Ruger, so you or your wife could build/upgrade it to whatever suits you/her. I've seen the Rugers go for about $200-$225. Another .22LR I have is a S&W M&P 15-22, that is very fun to shoot. FYI, they make one in a pink camo pattern. However they are a bit more expensive running around $425+. In the end if your wife likes the 702 Plinkster, I say go for it. You can never have to many .22LRs, according to some of my coworkers, lol.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I had the 802 Plinkster which is the bolt action model and it was a great rifle. Its more of a starter rifle and it easy to outgrow.

is she sure on the semi auto or would she like a bolt rifle. Bolts are great for learning and keeping good shooting habits IMO

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Skip the factory scope. It's probably worth $10, like the one on the Marlin 60 that can be destroyed with bare hands.

The Ruger 10/22 is much nicer, but it's also 2-2.5x the price of the Plinkster depending on which flavor of 10/22. If the Plinkster works for your wife, the cost savings of it versus the 10/22 will pay for a halfway-decent entry-level scope.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    I had the 802 Plinkster which is the bolt action model and it was a great rifle. Its more of a starter rifle and it easy to outgrow.

is she sure on the semi auto or would she like a bolt rifle. Bolts are great for learning and keeping good shooting habits IMO

i could have sworn the 702 she shot was bolt action, maybe it was an 802.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The 702 is a semi auto. The scope which accompanies the with scope option I saw on a googled site wouldn't lend much to the shooting experience as mentioned in an earlier post. Poor parallax correction, too little light, fogging... You would be better served witth a Simmons 22 Mag or similar product to keep in line with your cost effectiveness.

Getting her the rifle she asked for will keep her enthusiastic, she feels comfortable with it and will make it hers. It is not inferior will probably shoot very well. I have a Mossberg 795 that I really like...moreso than the 10/22's I sold years back. Doesn't make the 10/22's poor choice (there is one particular model I will eventually get) just a positive statement on the Mossbergs.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I say let her shoot a 10/22 before you make a purchase. If she likes it and it's in the budget, I'd go for that. I've had nothing but good luck with them. Also, she can dress it up however she would like if she were so inclined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom