• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I currently own a Mossberg 590 Marine (with the marinecoat finish).
    Mine has the 20" barrel and the tube holds 8 rounds of 00 buck with one in the chamber. Total of 9 rounds.

For a number of reasons, the 20' barrel seemed to be the right model to buy at the time, but my needs have changed.
    It was originally bought as a 'boat gun' while making deliveries, but these days it serves as my HD weapon and lives in the bedroom.

I would like to swap out the barrel and tube for a like pair from an 18' Mossy Marine.
    I'd be willing to trade someone even up, my 20" barrel and tube for an 18 (in similar excellent condition).
    Is this a possibility or should I just go buy the 18 and sell the 20? Or... buy the 18" parts and put the 20's up for sale?

Looking for opinions...

As you can see, she has been modified somewhat for home defense and boat duty.
    Knoxx Spec-Ops recoil reducing stock (with Limbsaver pad), a Burris reflex red dot sight on a picatinny rail, a SideSaddle, and a VTAC sling.

mossy_590-01.jpg

dscn0006.jpg

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Just my 2 cents...take it with a grain of salt....In my opnion, both from owning and shooting 18.5 and 20 in barrels, there is not that much difference. If your gun had, say, a 24 or 28 barrel, I would say swap it out or cut it. With going from a 20 to an 18.5, there really is no point (in my opinion). In fact. some shotguns designed for HD have 20 inch barrels.

Again, just my 2 cents.

dswanmd

Feb 23, 2010
    If you end up wanting to sell the 20" let me know, I know of someone looking for one...

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    IMHO, not worth the trouble.

Yea, kinda looking that way.

You know how it is... we're always tinkering with these things.
    Always looking for a way to make it better. :)

I was thinking that 2 less inches and 3 less shells might make it lighter and easier to use in a home environment.
    I was thinking that I really wouldn't need 9 rounds of 00 buck in a HD situation.
    On the boat... maybe, but not in the house.

As always... probably over thinking this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom