• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eadgbe194

Jan 31, 2010
    I've been wanting to buy a shotgun and am looking at the Mossberg 500 field/deer combo at Dick's. It comes with a 24" ported rifled barrel with a 2.5x scope mounted, and a 28" vent rib barrel. They are asking $349 which seems fair to me but I thought I'd ask the opinion of some experts.

This will be my first shotgun and it will be used for me to try out just about all the different things that I think I might want to do with a shotgun, like trap, skeet, deer hunting, turkey hunting, bird and rabbit hunting, etc. If I decide I will be doing lots of one thing then I will buy a more task specific gun later.

So what is everyone's take on this gun at this price?

eadgbe194

Jan 31, 2010
    yeah I can, but I probably won't. The shotgun will be kept in a safe in the basement and not readily accessible for home defense purposes. I have a pistol safe in the bedroom, but it isn't big enough for a shotgun so I don't plan on it ever becoming a home defense weapon.

eadgbe194

Jan 31, 2010
    thanks for the input everyone, I guess it's not as good of a deal as I thought. Maybe it will go on sale soon.

WSM, what walmart sells them? I was just in the glen burnie walmart and they didn't have any guns, and I don't know of any other walmarts that carry guns.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Aberdeen MD sells guns still.

If you are in the GB area, Scott's Gunsmithing had a nice Mossy 500 for $225. Looked to have either a 26" or 28" VR bbl. Nice condition....action was nice and smooth. Nice wood furniture....Would have bought it on the spot if I had the money.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    thanks for the input everyone, I guess it's not as good of a deal as I thought. Maybe it will go on sale soon.

WSM, what walmart sells them? I was just in the glen burnie walmart and they didn't have any guns, and I don't know of any other walmarts that carry guns.

any of the wally worlds in the Balt Metro area that i know of have gotten rid of their gun collections so-to-speak

i would think the ones in the more rural areas may still have them

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    it's not a bad gun guy... you can bird or deer w/ it and shorter barrel's are out there to for HD ( shotgun much better for HD btw than a pistol) it won't break the break ..... I think I've put 3000 shells through mine and never had a problem ...slug barrel is not the most acurate I'v eever shot but you can kill deer our to a 100 yrds w/ it no problem

bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    The wal-mart in California, MD near the Pax River base still sells shotguns and rifles. Haven't looked in a while but last time I was there, the rack had around 20, mostly shotguns and .22's.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just looked in Walmart
    Mavericks are going for $187
    31010big.gif

Mossberg 500s (single barrel) $227

Mossberg 500s with both (slug and smoothbore) barrels $287

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics