• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    More mosin questions
    I just am just finishing up cleaning up my new to me Mosin and have some questions about the tool kits that came with it.

1)I got two ammo pouches, I take it they are made for stripper clips, if so how many rounds does each pouch hold if not then how do you put ammo in them?

2) The little silver bottle. what is it used for? It looks like I have some thick oil in both sides. and it has stamping that looks like an H and an M, what is the meaning for them?

3) the triangle tool It looks like it has a screwdriver and a few notches cut in it for a wrench What is this all used for?

4) I take it the rest is the rest of the cleaning rod. I have what looks like a cleaning jig what looks like a muzzle guide and I have a cylinder that is hollow and has a hole in the side. and I have a bar. I found you can use the bar to remove the cleaning rod and use it to pull it up and down. What is the cylinder thing used for?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    1) without the stripper clip.. twenty (whole packet)..with clip.. can fit.. but kinda hard to pack it in there and take em out.

2) bottle.. oil or cleaning liquid

3) screw driver and two notches for firing pin gauge.

4) the one with whle on the side.. its for cleaning barrel.. you insert piece of cloth or patch through it.

dont know what the cylinder thing you talking about.. take a pic.

edit.. the cylinder thing is the guide if you clean it from the muzzle side.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/rifles/49524-question-mosin-nagant-cleaning-kit-parts.html
    http://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/information/cleaning_kit/index.html

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    Most of this will be redundant to what lx1x said:

More mosin questions
    I just am just finishing up cleaning up my new to me Mosin and have some questions about the tool kits that came with it.

1)I got two ammo pouches, I take it they are made for stripper clips, if so how many rounds does each pouch hold if not then how do you put ammo in them?
    15 on strippers (3 clips, one of which is upside down) or a pack of 20 like lx1x said.
    2) The little silver bottle. what is it used for? It looks like I have some thick oil in both sides. and it has stamping that looks like an H and an M, what is the meaning for them?
    Oil bottle, one for something to neutralize the corrosive salts in the old surplus ammo, one for lube oil. Can't remember which is which, though.
    3) the triangle tool It looks like it has a screwdriver and a few notches cut in it for a wrench What is this all used for?
    The notches are a simple go/no go gauge for your firing pin's exposed length when you take apart/put together your bolt for cleaning. That length is important because too short and you get light primer strikes, too long and you can punch clean through the powder and have a blast of powder to the face. Don't let this scare you, though. The big round teardrop hole is for getting your bayonet on/off without killing your hands. (note, only applies to fully removable 91/30 type bayos and not folding M44 bayos)
    4) I take it the rest is the rest of the cleaning rod. I have what looks like a cleaning jig what looks like a muzzle guide and I have a cylinder that is hollow and has a hole in the side. and I have a bar. I found you can use the bar to remove the cleaning rod and use it to pull it up and down. What is the cylinder thing used for?

Yes, that's right. The cylinder thing with the hole in the side slides up first, and the bar with the flat bit goes through the hole on the side to form a handle. The muzzle protector then goes on next, followed by the cleaning jag. Note that the go/no go notch on the teardrop tool fits the notch on the cleaning jag.

Better yet, here's a picture:
    MosinNagant-CleaningRodAssembly.jpg

I would also highly reccomend visiting 7.62x54r.net as it is a wealth of information there.

Oh yeah, :needpics:

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    The H on the bottle is actually more like an N, and stands for "Neft," which is Russian for "Oil." Think: Naphtha. They didn't use Naphtha, but the words have the same root. The other letter - M or W, or whatever, stands for "Shchalok," which means "Alkali." It was for a mixture of cleaning soda and water, and was used to wash out the potassium chloride salts left behind by their potassium chlorate primers. What you have sludged in the bottle is probably cosmoline. If you want to remove it, boil it several times in a pot of water and don't tell your wife you did it. Welcome to the addiction.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    The H on the bottle is actually more like an N, and stands for "Neft," which is Russian for "Oil." Think: Naphtha. They didn't use Naphtha, but the words have the same root. The other letter - M or W, or whatever, stands for "Shchalok," which means "Alkali." It was for a mixture of cleaning soda and water, and was used to wash out the potassium chloride salts left behind by their potassium chlorate primers. What you have sludged in the bottle is probably cosmoline. If you want to remove it, boil it several times in a pot of water and don't tell your wife you did it. Welcome to the addiction.

And make sure you skim the cosmo off of the water before you dump it. It will cause a large mess otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom