• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I just picked up a Izhevsk from PJDiesel this past Wed, along with a can of ammo.

Do you prefer loading the Mosin with stripper clips or does not matter?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I personally am loading one round at a time.
    I"m pausing between shots and loading one at a time is not slowing me down.
    I have been shooting usually with a buddy and we yap between shots anyway.
    I did get some stripper clips from an ebay seller that pulled them off of some bulk ammo that was with strippers. Used it one time at the range. Then realized I was heating up the barrel started to slow it down.
    Yes, pre loading stripper clips is faster as you get used to it.
    Even hand loading 5 rounds is not so bad.

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    Since there generally aren't any Germans shooting back at me, I just load them one at a time also.

Now, if you plan on using one in a competition that has a rapid fire component, get some and learn to use them.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I like using the clips. I have original Russian clips, which work. My Finnish Mosin takes clips incredibly smoothly.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    maybe i just got some decent stripper clips or something, but i love loading from clips. I mean i absolutely love it far more than hand loading. I push straight down, and they fall right into place.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    unless the ammo comes on clips, i normally just load one by one. however sometimes ill use the clips just for fun, cause its all part of the experience, normally though i just dont bother loading up the clips.

also i know we have some newer mosin owners, and i know its a common issue people have who are new to mosins. its important that you learn to both load and use a mosin stripper clip correctly, a lot of people have problems simply from incorrect use.

heres a decent video that demonstrates how to do it, in looking for it i saw there are a lot of people showing improper methods. the proper way to load is the finger on the bullet and thumb at the base method.

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    I bought a boat load of clips when I got my Mosin, they are loaded in a ammo can.

I never got around to shooting it. At first it was in such wonder shape I didn't want to.

But now I really don't want to blow through the ammo.

But, hopefully when I have a chance to I am just going to load one at a time, seems easier.

C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    They video helped. The way you handle the first round while pushing on the clip. Also my clips are a bit different. Mine might be stiffer.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I have some cheapies that didn't work for crap no matter how "right" i did it. Then I bought some 1950s surplus that came on clips and while the ammo/user combination wasn't great the clips worked PERFECTLY. Clip quality matters.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    I have some cheapies that didn't work for crap no matter how "right" i did it. Then I bought some 1950s surplus that came on clips and while the ammo/user combination wasn't great the clips worked PERFECTLY. Clip quality matters.

absolutely, there are lots of different clips out there, different countries, different repros, some brass, some steel.

and some clips migh work ok with one ammo, but be a little tough with another ammo even.

your best bet is to test and practice with your clips with each type of ammo you have.

if you do this at home, please do it with your bolt removed to make sure an accident cant happen, you dont need the bolt in the gun to practice loading it.

to unload it just open up the magazine base and let the rounds drop out.

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    Manually load it!

The bullets in the stripper have to be stacked right or else the rim will catch on the cartridge below and not feed into the chamber. For the strippers it helps if you sharpie on an arrow pointing down so you know which direction they are loaded. If it is reversed it won't feed.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Manually load it!

The bullets in the stripper have to be stacked right or else the rim will catch on the cartridge below and not feed into the chamber. For the strippers it helps if you sharpie on an arrow pointing down so you know which direction they are loaded. If it is reversed it won't feed.

dont really need to mark em, when loaded properly the rounds all angle to one side, so its obvious just looking at it how they need to go in.

once you learn how its done and what you're looking at, it really is simple.

but i still do mostly load single just cause i dont bother to load up stripper clips most of the time.

mausers i almost always load off clips though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom