• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I feel like the answer is YES!!! But should I get a Mosin Nagat for a project rifle. Cheap, tons of stuff for them and I'll shed no tears if I am cutting or drilling it and destroy it. I really like the promag archangel stock. Actually I like some of the regular "hunting style" stocks, but being able to use detachable mags is a huge turn on for the promag stock.

My mod list seems to be a promag archangel stock, timney trigger, 2-6x32mm Simmons prohunter pistol scope (possibly dove tail rings right on the barrel dove tail with rear sight removed) and lastly cut the barrel down to something between 20-24". Probably start with a modest cut to 24" and I can always cut it shorter.

Probably 80% would be a range queen, but I'd want to use it hunting occasionally.

Thoughts? I probably won't get one till late this year and it'll probably be a year long collection of bits and pieces.

Any thoughts on surplus ammo? Just how corrosive is the stuff? Like clean out immediately kind of corrosive? What about reloading something like PPU rounds? Steel case ammo in it?

I am buying a .308 from my wife's uncle (a bit of a beater, but still good shooting Sako) as my first big boy rifle in a couple of weeks. 7.62x54r seems a little redundant, but it sounds like fun and not too expensive to build a Nagat as a project gun.

Or are nagats going to be a problem child? Focus monetary resources elsewhere on other guns I desire, like a .30-30 Marlin/Henry, M1 garand, .22wmr, a .223, etc?

I realize ya'll can't read my inner thoughts and desires, but if you were in my shoes and all you had was a 12ga, .22lr, ML, and about to have a .308 bolt action, would you consider a Nagat for a project rifle or wait a couple of years and focus my money on other firearms first.

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    I feel like the answer is YES!!! But should I get a Mosin Nagat for a project rifle. My mod list ... and lastly cut the barrel down to something between 20-24". Probably start with a modest cut to 24" and I can always cut it shorter.

Why not start out with a Mosin–Nagant M44 Carbine?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'd wait. It's a waste of money and it won't be better than the bolt action Sako you said you're getting.

Corrosive is corrosive. Clean as normal and be dilligent to remove or loosen the carbon fouling in the bore. Then, clean with water to wash out the potassium chloride salts. Nothing will "neutralize" the salts, but water does dissolve it.

Put that money towards an M1 or another gun you want. It's well worth it to get an M1 from the CMP. The cost of a Mosin plus these parts would put you most of the way to a Field Grade M1.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The guys over in the C&R section would just love to help you along on your journey. :D

"I'll shed no tears if I am cutting or drilling it and destroy it." :lol2:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'd wait. It's a waste of money and it won't be better than the bolt action Sako you said you're getting.

Corrosive is corrosive. Clean as normal and be dilligent to remove or loosen the carbon fouling in the bore. Then, clean with water to wash out the potassium chloride salts. Nothing will "neutralize" the salts, but water does dissolve it.

Put that money towards an M1 or another gun you want. It's well worth it to get an M1 from the CMP. The cost of a Mosin plus these parts would put you most of the way to a Field Grade M1.

Windex can neutralize the salts, due to the ammonia.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    By "project rifle" what do you mean? If you intend to build gunsmith ing skill, it's probably cheaper to just buy a completely trashed rifle or rifle parts and work on your filing/stock work/engraving/barrel work/ whatever with those junk parts. If you're looking for a cheap rifle that shoots well, there are many modern rifles for cheap you could get like a howa/ruger american/ savage...etc that'll out shoot most any mosin. If you want to build up a rifle, you can build an AR for pretty dirt cheap with palmetto state armory build kits on a stripped lower.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Kind of looking for something to mess with. Also looking for a scout rifle setup. Something out of the ordinary also appeals to me. The possibility of dirt cheap ammo for the range sounds nice too. 91 over m44 is more the assumption that the M44 would probably be $40-80 more and I don't have any real concerns about cutting down the barrel.

Seems like most believe is get more out of putting the money towards something else on my list of wants and save a Mosin project for some other year.

Might be a Marlin .30-30 or .22wmr next.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    There isn't anymore dirt cheap ammo, there isn't any surplus 54r period because of the war in Ukraine. Forget it and buy a Remington 700 in 308

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM38.htm
    m38 is another short barreled option. You don't need to worry about the side-folding bayo and they're pretty cheap. Here's mine.
    mymosin2.jpg

stripperclipmosin.jpg

Of course, You can get a pretty solid modern equivalent for not a ton of money(especially when compared to getting a new stock, trigger, mount...etc for the mosin)
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/78093
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_59_110/products_id/94940
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_59_110/products_id/91070

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lazarus,
    Do you hunt now? From a blind or a treestand?
    I ask because the idea of hunting with a mosin sound intriguing but a long a$$ rifle in a blind is a pain.
    In the C&R forum, we'd discourage hacking the Mosin, but this is the Rifle forum so we won't do that here :)

If your looking for "something to do", have you thought about an AR build or a muzzleloader kit?

If you want to occupy time, you can get a mosin, then accurize it following some articles on Smith-Sights.com.

Sometimes you can get a mosin that has no stock and that's a better candidate for a hack job.

My experience is that if you scout scope it, you may end up being dissapointed if you don't follow the smith sights accurizing cause the long barrel harmonics really string when it heats up. My M44 strings less than any of my 91/30 cause the m44 short barrel is stiffer.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There isn't anymore dirt cheap ammo, there isn't any surplus 54r period because of the war in Ukraine. Forget it and buy a Remington 700 in 308

I'll have the Sako in .308 in a week or so. If I was going to get a 700 I'd probably look at it in .243 or .300 mag. Actually I am eyeing up the Mossberg patriot in .243 or .270. Seems pretty spiffy for a nice price.

A really want a .223 and .30-30 lever action first though once I have a .308.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazarus,
    I ask because the idea of hunting with a mosin sound intriguing but a long a$$ rifle in a blind is a pain.
    In the C&R forum, we'd discourage hacking the Mosin, but this is the Rifle forum so we won't do that here :)

If your looking for "something to do", have you thought about an AR build or a muzzleloader kit?

If you want to occupy time, you can get a mosin, then accurize it following some articles on Smith-Sights.com.

Sometimes you can get a mosin that has no stock and that's a better candidate for a hack job.

My experience is that if you scout scope it, you may end up being dissapointed if you don't follow the smith sights accurizing cause the long barrel harmonics really string when it heats up. My M44 strings less than any of my 91/30 cause the m44 short barrel is stiffer.

No matter what I'd cut the barrel down to no more than 24". My 870 with 28" barrel is already a damn handful and it is just shy of 50" in length. I really wish I had gotten the one with a 26" barrel. Those 2" less inches would make a huge difference portability deer hunting. I only do ground hunting right now. About 50/50 still hunting and setting up in a spot (no blind other than the occasional field expedient).

My goal would be an overall package no more than 44" in length to make it manageable in the field. Wondering if that would help with accuracy as the barrel heated. Though for field use, I'd really only need to worry about the accuracy of the first 2-5 rounds.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, and though I'd rather keep the package at no more than 8lbs for hunting, I don't mind (yet) a heavier package. I've used my neighbor's garand a couple of times deer hunting now and it tips the scales at a bit over 10lbs with sling and a full magazine. Yeah it is heavy, but not terrible. It is also a pleasure to shoot between gas operated combined with all that weight. Feels like half the recoil of my 870 with a 3" slug, even though those .30-06 rounds have a good 20% more muzzle energy.

I want an M1 so bad (ideally in .308, with detachable magazines and shave .5-1lb off the weight). Why MD? Why can't the M1a be legal?!?

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Some of the reasons why Mosins are popular because it's an affordable rifle and the ammo used to be cheap and widely available. That was the reason I did my customized varmint style Mosin.

Now is not that attractive since the used cheap ammo are gone, at least for now. But if that's what you are into, good for you and I love my Mosin. I bring mine to every range trip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 211

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    Lazarus,

:D

Accurizing%20the%20Mosin%20Nagant%20test%20target.jpg

My eyes are terrible. This is why I only shot at 60 yards.

Regards,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom