• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtodd1586

Sep 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie, Maryland
    I currently only have 2 Mosins in my closet.1 was supposedly an ex sniper. And the other is beat to hell lol I have taken both to the range and can not seem to find the hold over and under from 50yards to 100 to 200. I have read a few different blogs and reviews around it and would like some sound bites from shooters on here. The following is my hold over and under that I have found

Using Milsurp corrosive ammo

@50yards... hold under is 10 or so inches
    @100yards...6-7 inches
    @200...3 inches

Never hit the target past 200 no matter what I do lol

At this point I have purchase a scope to mount on 1 so I can ensure semi accurate hits

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    with milsurp ammo, all of my Russian and the Finn will hit high.
    For a 91/30 you can put some shrink tube on the post and let the shrink tube stick up to make the front post higher. You can also replace the posts with some you get on ebay. Others will use JB weld to build up the front post or glue a bead on it or something. I read someone say that Russians learned to hold low at 100 yards or less.

Kondor

May 23, 2011
    Silver Spring
    All of my mosins always shoot high, not as high as yours but consistently high. Regardless of what surplus ammo I've used, Russian, Czech, Bulgarian, etc. I corked a couple of them, and it helped bring my groups down about an inch at 100 yards. I aim about 4-5 inches low at 100. I do this without the bayonet attached, unless it's the M44, that sucker really does shoot better with the bayonet extended; barrel harmonics and all that jazz.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu63.htm

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    Does it group at all?

If not, make sure both action screws are tight. Before I got a de-humidifier, the cycling between summer and winter would loosen them up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Mosins were set up to be shot with the bayonet ON the rifle. Without it, the point of impact may be way off.

Most stock Mosin triggers will prevent good groups due to the weight and creep.

People have reported better accuracy with full length bedding of the barrel, it seems most use thin cork to fill in the gaps.

Better ammo should shoot better.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    yeah, I think that mine was sighted in with the bayonet on. It shoots right on windage wise now, but I think that's because the last owner tapped the front sight post to the left, since it's kind of bent over that way. As long as I index on the tippy top of the post, though, I usually hit what I'm aiming at with the bayonet disengaged but still on the rifle, since if you take the bayo off the m44s it's near impossible to get them back on without using some creative methods.

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    It groups as well as i could expect from a person who has only been shooting mosins less the a year. Lol.

So, in other words, it may be all you, all the rifle, or some combination thereof. From your comments, it would seem the latter.

Check to make sure that there are no mechanical issues. Loose in the stock, wore out barrel, bad muzzle, loose sights. Putting a scope on something that has a mechanical issue won't help anything.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It could very well be both.

One way to find out, is to have a known good shooter shoot your Mosin. If it shoots well in their hands, it is YOU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom