• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    So i finally got a mosin I got a pretty decent price on it however it appears to be a chinese 53 carbine and the stock has a crack in the butt of it. Is it ok to fire in this condition? The person i got it from said he fired it that way but i figured i would ask. Also if anyone has a nice carbine stock handy i would be glad to take it off your hands :D
    I paid $70 for it and 300+ rounds of ammo.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    So i finally got a mosin I got a pretty decent price on it however it appears to be a chinese 53 carbine and the stock has a crack in the butt of it. Is it ok to fire in this condition? The person i got it from said he fired it that way but i figured i would ask. Also if anyone has a nice carbine stock handy i would be glad to take it off your hands :D
    I paid $70 for it and 300+ rounds of ammo.

When, in 1998? :D

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Are all the mosin stocks the same rifle/carbine they look like it. The only different between the two i see is the handguards. I would love an uncracked stock!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It will break off eventually if you don't fix it now. Best repair is to drill at the front of the crack and glue a dowel in the hole. From there fill the crack with a ton of super glue and clamp it and let sit for a few days. It wont crack there again.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    It will break off eventually if you don't fix it now. Best repair is to drill at the front of the crack and glue a dowel in the hole. From there fill the crack with a ton of super glue and clamp it and let sit for a few days. It wont crack there again.
    Thanks for the tip chad! I am looking for a new stock now. I just pre-ordered one of the archangel conversion stocks for it. That should be sweet!

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    That's the nice thing about Mosins, parts, or entire guns, are cheap enough.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    i may order a promag stock and just call it a day.
    You mean that one with the 10rd detachable mag?

Thinking about getting one of those (it floats the barrel too if you want it to). Interested in your impression if you swing for it first.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I got an M44 stock for my T53 and refinished it so I'd have a better lasting range toy. I didn't have a crack and should have not bothered but it was my first Mosin.
    got the stock for $60 from Numerich. It had a 2nd recoil lug in the back where the T53 did not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom