Mosin hex Tula Sniper for 650: Good deal or no?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake Zergling

Nov 25, 2009
    Annapolis
    I'm saving up (almost there) for this Hexagonal Receiver,pre-war,Tula Mosin sniper,it's all matching and they want 650 for it, anybody think this is a a bad deal?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Way to much money, better come with the scope and "actually" be a sniper for that with an awesome bore (anyone ever find a Mosin muzzle gauge?)

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Mosin snipers with all matching numbers and good condition cost a lot more now. I have already seen this pieces selling as high as $1500. I have seen a few at this price lately at the Nations gun Show in Dulles.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    What do you expect out of the rifle? If you're doing it for collectibility or investment-you're wasting your time (99.5% sure of it being fake).

As I mentioned in the other thread, a genuine PE sniper is easily between $3K-$5K.....maybe more.
    If you want a shooter, and don't want the same old PU sniper-this would be about right for a re-snipered top mount PE 91/30.

-Tula hex ex-sniper - $150ish
    -Accumount scope and mount set up - $330 shipped
    -Gunsmithing costs to drill and install mount set up plus inlet stock to fit mount - approx $200.

Doing it yourself will save the gunsmithing price, but unless you're quite sure you can handle drilling into the receiver, I would let a pro do it. Quick way to ruin the rifle.

As you can see, the price is not "way" high as others suggest. Just more expensive than a regular Mosin and a little higher than the Century made fake "snipers". Century is even butchering regular Mosins (not ex-snipers) to make those $400-$450 PU snipers....:sad20:

Figure out what you want it for and decide if the cost is right for you. Just remember-this will NOT be a real sniper. It will be just a reproduction and will negate the small premium an untouched ex-sniper commands over a standard 91/30.
    Good luck with your choice and let us know if you buy it. Mosins are fun!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I probably should have been clear, I actually dont believe this is to much if you can document its actually a sniper built that way and left that way. But if it is what most of them on the market below are (as you described) I think it is a bit salty, but again Mosins arnt my market (have an M44 but thats about it).

Listen to H2U its sound advice, never trust gun dealers or show people (with a few very notable exceptions).

What do you expect out of the rifle? If you're doing it for collectibility or investment-you're wasting your time (99.5% sure of it being fake).

As I mentioned in the other thread, a genuine PE sniper is easily between $3K-$5K.....maybe more.
    If you want a shooter, and don't want the same old PU sniper-this would be about right for a re-snipered top mount PE 91/30.

-Tula hex ex-sniper - $150ish
    -Accumount scope and mount set up - $330 shipped
    -Gunsmithing costs to drill and install mount set up plus inlet stock to fit mount - approx $200.

Doing it yourself will save the gunsmithing price, but unless you're quite sure you can handle drilling into the receiver, I would let a pro do it. Quick way to ruin the rifle.

As you can see, the price is not "way" high as others suggest. Just more expensive than a regular Mosin and a little higher than the Century made fake "snipers". Century is even butchering regular Mosins (not ex-snipers) to make those $400-$450 PU snipers....:sad20:

Figure out what you want it for and decide if the cost is right for you. Just remember-this will NOT be a real sniper. It will be just a reproduction and will negate the small premium an untouched ex-sniper commands over a standard 91/30.
    Good luck with your choice and let us know if you buy it. Mosins are fun!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Sorry guys. Didn't really mean to direct any comments at anyone in particular. I just tire of most people assuming all Mosins should cost $100 because the market has been flooded with them for the last couple of years.
    Couple that with the tons of fake snipers that have been popping up everywhere since "Enemy at the Gate" and the general gun public think all Mosins cost $100 and snipers cost $400-$500....and that's it.
    I have a couple of Mosins and most of them are worth more than the standard Ukraine depot rufurbs the importers have been selling lately.
    On another gunboard, several collectors got together and compiled a list of Mosin variations that are worth over a thousand dollars. There were a couple of dozen....
    Just something to keep in mind: Most of the Mosin variations aren't the ultra cheap 91/30's we've been lucky to have available to us as intros into the surplus rifle arena and economical blasters.

h2u signing off from the iPhone at work (on such a beautiful day:sad20:)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I'm gonna go for it, but it's not going to be a mantle piece, this will be used.

Good for you! I like sniper rifles. I got lucky and found a pretty rare variation of ex-sniper at Keepshooting while digging through the crates. I'm in the process of re-snipering it. By the time all is said and done-I'll have almost $2K in it.....:o
    Please post pictures and range report when you can. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask the forum. That's a big part of why we're here :thumbsup:

Also make sure you can check out the re-sniper work as well as you can. Make sure the sight sits parallel over the barrel with no canting. Sometimes the gunsmithing can be a little suspect.

Jake Zergling

Nov 25, 2009
    Annapolis
    Good for you! I like sniper rifles. I got lucky and found a pretty rare variation of ex-sniper at Keepshooting while digging through the crates. I'm in the process of re-snipering it. By the time all is said and done-I'll have almost $2K in it.....:o
    Please post pictures and range report when you can. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask the forum. That's a big part of why we're here :thumbsup:

Also make sure you can check out the re-sniper work as well as you can. Make sure the sight sits parallel over the barrel with no canting. Sometimes the gunsmithing can be a little suspect.
    I got about $490 I feel so close....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom