• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    another garand question

We really need a common thread for garand questions :)

Here is another one:

Is it bad to grab a garand by the front hand guard?

I did this and noticed that it shakes. then i read that some people fit the front front handguard. In non match shooters, does it mater if the rifle is picked up by the front guard?

Last edited:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Its supposed to be a little loose allows for expansion. If you put a thin rubber oring in there it will quiet the rattle but still allow the expansion.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Not sure yet. I can't afford any other specials so it may not be for another month or so. If some people want to do a road trip I'd be up for it. I'm just broke right now.

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    Perfectly normal for the front hand guard to move. When shooting do not rest or grab the front guard as it will effect the accuracy.

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    Next question, or rather a looking for help:

Any one here have the tools to rebarrel, i want to make a tanker. I just purchased a donor rifle. DGR has a good price on criterion barrels and the install and ream/head space price is good, but i would like to do the work. I just don't want to spend a fortune on single purpose tools

Last edited:

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    Next question, or rather a looking for help:

Any one here have the tools to rebarrel, i wantto make a tanker. I just puchased a donor rifle. DGR has a good price on criterion barrels and the install and ream/head space price is good, but i would like to do the work. I just don't want to spend a fortune on single purpose tools

Not to try and discourage your effort but, you are going to need more than a barrel vice etc.

Building a operational Tanker is not an easy job. It requires a new op rod and other parts modified for the shorter length.

I have built countless Garands and do not have the tools to work on the op rod.
    The follower arm and spring need to be shortened etc. If the op rod is not precise the op rod has a tendency to dismount. If the op rod comes loose other damage can occur like damage to the bolt.
    You also need to headspace the bolt while reaming the barrel. Timing and reaming would be done with the barrel installed so there would be no need for the special tools you asked for.

A guy Tim Shufflin is the person you may want to contact for any help.
    http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/

Shuff may be able to do the major work with your parts and then you can assemble the rest. He offers a very quick turn-a-round service.

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    I am considering shuff's Mini G conversion, but i would like to entertain other options. Esp since i like the proportions of the 18" barrel.

So far my shopping list is the following:

Op rod - columbus machine will repair and rebend to tanker for a reasonable price
    Main spring - Fulton
    Follower rod - Fulton
    Barrel - DGR (Criterion)

DGR will install the barrel at a good price, but having spent several summers working at a machine shop, I would really like to try this myself. My feeling is that this is really the heart of the mater and it makes the difference between building and assembling. But not having the tools and gages... it makes economical sense to farm it out to DGR.

Lastly, i will also be performing some critical stock repair at the reciever heel, so i do get to do some material work

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom