• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -My bound book doesn't have much sourced from Gun Broker these days. But occasionally... I recently ran across a listing: ERMA German pre war 22 training rifle. I expected to see a DSM34, the most common ERMA training rifle. But I was perplexed by what I saw. While it was similar in appearance to a DSM the buttstock was significantly different along with the trigger guard and sling loops.
    -Time to pull out Bob Simpsons Training Rifles of Third Reich Germany for an education. Sure enough, it was found towards the back of the book under "Other Models". What I was looking at was the Modell G.98/34, a precursor to the DSM34. This was one of the earliest training rifles designed specifically to specs called out by the Nazi government for a military training rifle. While the designation G.98/34 doesn't appear anywhere on the rifle it shows up it ERMA period catalogs.
    -Prototypes were built in early 1933 with production starting in early '34. Very few were built with SNs approaching a high number of 1200. This example is in the high 600s. Bob Simpson has only 10 examples listed with many of them issued to the SA.
    -As it turned out I was the only one to bid on the listing and got it for a very modest price. The owner shipped it to me in a nice, sturdy transit case which was a relief. Condition is good with most of the bluing worn thin. While not a safe queen these are so crazy rare that to get one at all was a victory. Bob Simpson has one up on his site for sale with a SA mark that's duffle cut and missing the stacking rod but in overall better condition than mine with an asking price of $2995. So yeah, I'm happy having cut a check for a fraction of that.

Attachments

• IMGP0169.JPG
      IMGP0169.JPG
      286.2 KB · Views: 43
    • IMGP0175.JPG
      IMGP0175.JPG
      100.3 KB · Views: 43
    • IMGP0177.JPG
      IMGP0177.JPG
      303.2 KB · Views: 44
    • IMGP0179.JPG
      IMGP0179.JPG
      89.9 KB · Views: 41
    • IMGP0180.JPG
      IMGP0180.JPG
      103.2 KB · Views: 41
    • IMGP0181.JPG
      IMGP0181.JPG
      123.2 KB · Views: 42
    • IMGP0182.JPG
      IMGP0182.JPG
      148.7 KB · Views: 41
    Jul 1, 2012
    "Knowledge is power" LOL. Finish may be a little thin but it looks very nice and presentable and most importantly, complete.
    The rear sling attachment on the trigger guard seems weird, does the pin/buckle also allow it to be mounted to the attachment behind the TG?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    "Knowledge is power" LOL. Finish may be a little thin but it looks very nice and presentable and most importantly, complete.
    The rear sling attachment on the trigger guard seems weird, does the pin/buckle also allow it to be mounted to the attachment behind the TG?
    Yup. The same setup as the GEW98. Not aware of any other German .22 training rifle with this older sling configuration (other than the rare GEW98 that was converted to .22).

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice! Looks slightly like a mini Mauser.
    That was the intent. These were used all over Germany to train young boys as well as recruits. The idea being to use a rifle that operated and handled much like the full power centerfire K98k.
    You really see it in the KKW series training rifle. Looks very much like a K98k. This was the ultimate in a German .22 training rifle. It also laid the foundation for the French MAS 45 training rifle which was initially built by Mauser.
    1701192159754.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom