• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    This is like cramming for finals, huh?;)

I handled a few handguns today and have eliminated semi automatics. It's just too hard to pull the slide and I know I'll wind up never using one.

That having been said, I tried some S&W .38 specials and really liked a few. However, what I REALLY loved was the Ruger SP101 .357 magnum. I found a used one at a local gun shop (Barts) and I think its likely that I'll buy it. My brother has one that is very similar and hopefully I'll be firing that tomorrow at his gun club.

Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it. He's gonna seriously haze me. He's my BABY brother. He didn't get to mess with his big sister when he was a kid so he'll make up for it now.

Anyone want to rate this gun? I'm ready. I can take it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    ruger generally isn't considered top of the line, but a very good value in firearms. i have ruger 10-22 rifle and their .22 pistol and a .22 mag bolt rifle and they're all very good.

.357 mag is good choice as you can shoot .38 special for practice and won't get beat up quite as much (plus cheaper).

revolvers don't have the capacity of semi-auto's, and reloading isn't nearly as efficient, but their operation is a lot simpler, just pull the trigger, and they're less prone to malfunctions.

not sure what size barrels the sp101 comes in, but longer barrels will reduce recoil (muzzle flip) a little and give you a longer sight radius for better accuracy. they'll also put the blast a little further away from you.

good luck.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    The SP101 is an excellent choice for a revolver. It has a beefier frame to handle the hotter +P loads and you can shoot .38 Specials all day long for practice. My personal preference is for the 6-inch barrel but if you will be looking for a personal defense weapon, the longer barrel might be a hindrance and the 4-inch a better fit. It will shoot as well as you do and will last long enough for your kids to give to their kids. Enjoy and safe shooting!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you like it, they're fantastic little workhorses. My ex-wife wasn't much of a shooter, but she handled an Sp-101 pretty well when loaded with hot .38+p rounds.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    A very solid gun. Ruger revolvers won't usually win beauty contests, but they're generally overbuilt and very rugged. The recoil when shooting .357 out a relatively small revolver like the SP101 is...stout. It's not overwhelming, just much more pronounced than with .38 special. You might want to try aftermarket grips on the gun, say like the rubber grip made by Hogue. They tend to soak up some of the recoil. They will interfere with a speedloader, if you had planned on using them.

Ruger556

Jan 10, 2012
    Central Maryland
    Go for it...Rugers are well made and are dependable. I carried one for my job and had 100% confidence. I would recommend using .38 cal ammo and a lesson or two for obvious reasons. Be safe and enjoy.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    dulles gun show this weekend!! plus i believe gus from accurate pawn will be there and will do maryland transfers.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Ruger's are great reliable guns. Like Boondock said, they might not win a beauty contest, but the are extremely reliable. My first handgun was a Ruger and I love it and will never get rid of it.

Also, they can usually be found for cheaper than Smith and Wessons's.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    As my name implies I love a good wheel gun. I have several Rugers some that are older than me and function like a watch and hold up to use like a tank. My first handgun was a Ruger security six and I still love it to this day. In fact it just seems to get smoother and better to shoot the more rounds I put through it. Good luck and overall be safe and have fun!

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    As my name implies I love a good wheel gun. I have several Rugers some that are older than me and function like a watch and hold up to use like a tank. My first handgun was a Ruger security six and I still love it to this day. In fact it just seems to get smoother and better to shoot the more rounds I put through it. Good luck and overall be safe and have fun!

The Ruger security six is exactly what I shot yesterday. It was well balanced for me and I was the most accurate with it. I tried to buy it off of my brother, but he'd rather just lend it to me. Seems you guys never sell your revolvers.;)

So, I shall go back to Bart's and purchase the Ruger SP 101 today. I'm content with that. I've been searching all of the auctions, but I also prefer supporting the local merchants whenever possible. They are the ones who take the time to answer questions and understand exactly what I'm trying to convey.

I'm pretty stoked!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    The Ruger security six is exactly what I shot yesterday. It was well balanced for me and I was the most accurate with it. I tried to buy it off of my brother, but he'd rather just lend it to me. Seems you guys never sell your revolvers.;)

So, I shall go back to Bart's and purchase the Ruger SP 101 today. I'm content with that. I've been searching all of the auctions, but I also prefer supporting the local merchants whenever possible. They are the ones who take the time to answer questions and understand exactly what I'm trying to convey.

I'm pretty stoked!

I have a large frame Smith and Wesson .357. My 11 year old daughter can shoot both .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads in it with no problem whatsoever. Excellent choice in the Ruger! Enjoy it!

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    It's not a virgin pistol. It's a used gun. However, I will happily provide her photos when she arrives. Probably around Thursday of next week. The gun I originally wanted had been sold (hammerless) but I did select another Ruger SP101 .357 magnum with a hammer. Didn't make any difference to me whatsoever. Actually, the gun today had an easier pull than the one I went to get and even easier than my brother's Luger revolver.

Question: Since this is a used gun and didn't come with a case or manual, where can I get the flags to put in the barrel when I'm at the firing range? I was under the impression that they came with the gun, but was told otherwise. I haven't seen them anywhere. Charles at Barts suggested just using a long yellow zip tie. Will that work? I don't want to mess up at the range. I do believe in etiquette wherever I go. I want to go prepared. I'm a good student, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom