More Montgomery County residents are facing food insecurity than at the height of the pandemic

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I don’t deny that their is need, but when one gauges “success” by how many people show up for free stuff there are issues.

Obviously no one has to resort to crime to eat around here…

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    They look emaciated.

I've worked my share of food pantries and still do but plenty of the customers drive a nicer car than I do and have their nails done and expensive hairdos.

0923_FEATURES_foodinsecurity1-sm-copy-e1695302556254.jpg

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    They look emaciated.

I've worked my share of food pantries and still do but plenty of the customers drive a nicer car than I do and have their nails done and expensive hairdos.
    They have several near me. I saw a guy in a brand new Lincoln with temp tags in line for free food. Really wanted to say something to him about priorities or leaving for those in need. The amount of expensive cars in line are ridiculous.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yea, just look at all those hungry people and their iPhones. It’s called priorities. You know…food, shelter, clothing. But yea, I’ve seen people drive up to food/clothing drive handouts in their Mercedes SUV or Lexus. Wonder how many have SNAP cards and get their crabs and shrimp weekly? Knew on girl whose priority was her weekly shrimp feed at the expense of paying her bills.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They look emaciated.

0923_FEATURES_foodinsecurity1-sm-copy-e1695302556254.jpg
    My former employer had the HVAC contract for that location

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I've helped distribute food at Churchill High School as well as Wooton High School and noticed the nice cars, nice nails, nice hairstyles, newer iPhones, and designer purses.

I guess food is a lower priority than having all of the above... Rare to see a thin person in line so they must all not exactly be missing too many meals!

I guess it's possible they all lost their jobs or really are in tough times, etc.. but the lady helping me distribute the boxes pointed out how expensive the clothing and purses several of the women had on were as well as the clearly professionally applied gel nails with remarkably long nails and bright bright colors - none of that is cheap and at least with the nails - they need constant professional upkeep to keep them looking like they did.

Guess they will just increase my taxes to help pay a living wage to people that maybe work zero hours per week... :rolleyes:

F5IQZTqbwAAhQtG.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I don’t deny that their is need, but when one gauges “success” by how many people show up for free stuff there are issues.
    Several years ago I started a thread to give away a $50 grocery gift card for an MDS member in need near Thanksgiving. Other members jumped in and started making donations. We eventually raised enough that we sent out almost a thousand dollars in gift cards to something like 15 members. Great group effort. I had the only list of the recipients and never told anyone else who was on the list. I destroyed that list shortly after I mailed the last of the gift cards. When I opened the thread, I told everyone that I didn't want to know WHY they needed help, simply saying they did was enough.

About two weeks later, one of the members who said they could use the help was posting pictures of their new guns. It was a deal too good to walk away from and they had snapped it up. I never called them on it, but it definitely impacted my enthusiasm for organizing another drive like that. Maybe the guy had a temporary downturn and a quick rebound. Maybe it was a divorce. I don't know, but it bothered me a lot.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Several years ago I started a thread to give away a $50 grocery gift card for an MDS member in need near Thanksgiving. Other members jumped in and started making donations. We eventually raised enough that we sent out almost a thousand dollars in gift cards to something like 15 members. Great group effort. I had the only list of the recipients and never told anyone else who was on the list. I destroyed that list shortly after I mailed the last of the gift cards. When I opened the thread, I told everyone that I didn't want to know WHY they needed help, simply saying they did was enough.

About two weeks later, one of the members who said they could use the help was posting pictures of their new guns. It was a deal too good to walk away from and they had snapped it up. I never called them on it, but it definitely impacted my enthusiasm for organizing another drive like that. Maybe the guy had a temporary downturn and a quick rebound. Maybe it was a divorce. I don't know, but it bothered me a lot.

I used to assume that everyone here was operating on a higher level than average, and that their word meant something.

I've learned that this is not always the case. Too bad. People come in many flavors, coatings and fillings.

Still, most of my interactions here have been positive, and I plan on sticking to my personal code of behavior.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    They look emaciated.

I've worked my share of food pantries and still do but plenty of the customers drive a nicer car than I do and have their nails done and expensive hair

God, if you’re 5 foot 3 and you’re 300 pounds, taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds ...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Obviously no one has to resort to crime to eat around here…
    AOC just called you a racist.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

This reminds me of a fishing forum I used to frequent. The owner ran it on his own, paid for the maintenance costs, didn't take ads. After a while he asked for donations for the upkeep and I and some others sent him money. One guy, in lieu of money, wrote a diatribe back about how he wishes he could contribute but he has little money to spare, has kids, etc, etc. This is a guy who was on the forum like 24X7. Fast forward a week or two and he is posting pictures of his steak and lobster dinner.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

This reminds me of a fishing forum I used to frequent. The owner ran it on his own, paid for the maintenance costs, didn't take ads. After a while he asked for donations for the upkeep and I and some others sent him money. One guy, in lieu of money, wrote a diatribe back about how he wishes he could contribute but he has little money to spare, has kids, etc, etc. This is a guy who was on the forum like 24X7. Fast forward a week or two and he is posting pictures of his steak and lobster dinner.
    People suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom