W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Good!

Knock down the fences to the gated communities, just like what happened to the McCloskeys!
    Yea... they don't exist in Silver Spring. Those communities are in Bethesda and Potomac, and they aren't building subsidized housing there. They each have one community, to say they have it, and they keep tight restrictions on most people there...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Silver Spring had already started circling the drain a year or two ago. Pushing for low-income housing will certainly accelerate the process.

MoCo pushes Silver Spring merchants to accept regulation or face fines to deal with crime:

Under Elrich’s plan, businesses would be targeted for mandatory safety regulations based on crime data, and the requirements could include business-provided 24-hour video monitoring with high-definition digital cameras of entrances, exits and areas where cash registers are located.

In addition, there could be requirements for sufficient outdoor lighting and regulations governing the tint on window glass so the interior can be viewed from the outside.

“Affected businesses that refuse to comply will receive a daily fine … and I fully intend, if you do not follow the rules, that we will shut them down,” Elrich said.

Police chief Jones said the downtown area is currently under increased police patrols. He added that surveillance camera coverage has been expanded and automated license plate readers have been deployed. Jones said that some late-night businesses are obtaining hand-held metal detectors to keep out guns.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    WTF good do surveillance cameras and videos do if the perps are not fully prosecuted if/when they are apprehended. Everything blue turns to shit.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Long time ago TastyKake had a motto "all the good things wrapped up in one".

Democrats, all the bad things wrapped up in one.
    KandyKakes approve

My race is run, and I'm fixing to karma of most of which is worth having

I'm hoping to make the beast with two backs with the nubile from the gym @smkranz but I don't cotton to cheat on my wife (he gave his word. He gave his to a railroad. It's his WORD).

That ain't what counts, it's who you give it to

Once again, to quote Sir John Gielgud in 'Caligula', I've lived too long, and I hate my life

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Hasn’t this already been around? In MoCo all new housing developments must allow for about 15% of the homes to be set aside for low income families.

Fine by me, cuz idk how anyone can afford to live in MoCo.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Yea... they don't exist in Silver Spring. Those communities are in Bethesda and Potomac, and they aren't building subsidized housing there. They each have one community, to say they have it, and they keep tight restrictions on most people there...
    Only east west highway away. :)

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    The correct word ( as one who grew up almost exclusively on the peanut butter variety), is Tandy Takes.

6bb58839aa3065e62a21cdcb2505171b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Gated communities in Silver Spring? :shrug:

I just want Silver Spring to be nicer and safer.

Moore and his corrupt cronies want ghettos and dependency.

I no longer am employed there; it can go the way of Bodymore far as I am concerned…

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hasn’t this already been around? In MoCo all new housing developments must allow for about 15% of the homes to be set aside for low income families.

Fine by me, cuz idk how anyone can afford to live in MoCo.

*****Yup. I live in a pretty new community in MoCo that was finished in late 2020 ish and we have the 15% MPDU thing going on.

Remarkable just *how* inexpensive those homes are relative to what non MPDU folks paid - as little as 1/4th the asking price of the more expensive homes in our hood. It seems like the folks living there were *very* carefully vetted so as to not perhaps upset the folks subsidizing their new digs. I don't think they are allowed to sell their homes for 10 years as part of the plan, and the rest of the community also pays for much of their HOA fees as well as the $800 a year we pay for the hookup to city water and sewage, etc.. for the next 25 years... Pretty sweet deal for them, but there are only a few of them here.

The homes are less than 1/2 the size of the regular homes, and have very few amenities and only a 1 car garage, no deck, no fireplace, no terraces, no voice activated lights or smart home features, and only one zone heating/cooling, and very basic appliances. Super nice neighborhood in a great school district with very low crime so there are some real perks there for sure versus living where I grew up in Langley Park - which was a cesspool of crime, gangbangers, drugs dealers, ruffians, and uhhh working class folks like my parents who came to this country not even able to speak English all that well and could only afford the equivalent of a roach motel apartment home off University Boulevard by Riggs road....

The family a couple of doors down from me in the MPDU home is a single mom with a couple of little kids, seemingly no adult male around and she works as a paralegal I think, and the other family in my section has a head of family who is a taxi cab driver from Morocco and has a couple of daughters who work at the community center nearby working with adult day care, old people, etc...

The folks I know in my section living in the MPDU homes are thankfully quiet, and we have had no problems with them. Nice people, hard working. I have rentals in other parts of MoCo where the MPDU's have been nothing but an unmitigated disaster with people just trashing the neighborhood and making life absolutely miserable for the folks largely subsidizing the MPDU homes. People complain, nothing is done - people with resources just move away and slowly the neighborhood goes to crap. Happened in Germantown, Silver Spring, Wheaton, and parts of Columbia.

We get the government we deserve, and sometimes we end up getting it really good and hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom