• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    At the county level, that's true. But your permit specifically says "Not valid where firearms are prohibited by law", which means the state law on unlawful carry kicks in if you're carrying somewhere banned by the county, with a 5 year state-imposed potential penalty.
    And, if you actually have to use that pistol, any carry insurance or legal service membership you’ve been paying for will drop you cold because you were breaking the law while defending yourself. Fun!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At the county level, that's true. But your permit specifically says "Not valid where firearms are prohibited by law", which means the state law on unlawful carry kicks in if you're carrying somewhere banned by the county, with a 5 year state-imposed potential penalty.

Three year Misdemeanor , but same effect of making you Prohibited Person .

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    All redundant when the cop with the beat calls his Sergent and the Sergent calls the LT to figure out WTH to charge you with.

Charge: Being a bad boy in a 35mph zone
    Sentenced to 10 spanks by Ehrlich

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    None of this can survive the higher courts.
    I would disagree. Based on the past litigation, the circuit courts are likely to adopt similar reasoning. While the SCOTUS is likely in a better position to overrule, it may not be as strong of a position as some may think.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Welcome to the Bonus Round!

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    Why isn't the county responsible for informing us? I mean, they pass a bill that goes into effect immediately. Hell, the state has all of our emails. The fact that they can do this w/o informing is just wrong... I hate this county.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I would disagree. Based on the past litigation, the circuit courts are likely to adopt similar reasoning. While the SCOTUS is likely in a better position to overrule, it may not be as strong of a position as some may think.

Not disagreeing…all it would take is for the cases to be slow walked through the system until the Libs get a SCOTUS more to their liking. This is all the more reason for such cases to proceed posthaste.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So we will have to wait on current litigation under Bruen to se what happens, since there have yet to be ANY lower court rulings (that I am aware of) under Bruen.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Do courts take longer in civil right's violation cases when they involve the 2nd Amendment? It sure seems that way. Or maybe that is the same time dilation effect that slows down the last week of school and makes summer vacation fly by when you're a kid. SCOTUS remanded a number of cases that were wrongly decided back in June. C'mon already!

Am I wrong in expecting that as cases are decided in agreement with Bruen that follow on cases will begin to be decided more rapidly as the body of decided cases grows? Or will the first decision in each federal district just take a long time?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do courts take longer in civil right's violation cases when they involve the 2nd Amendment? It sure seems that way. Or maybe that is the same time dilation effect that slows down the last week of school and makes summer vacation fly by when you're a kid. SCOTUS remanded a number of cases that were wrongly decided back in June. C'mon already!

Am I wrong in expecting that as cases are decided in agreement with Bruen that follow on cases will begin to be decided more rapidly as the body of decided cases grows? Or will the first decision in each federal district just take a long time?
    Civil suit take a back seat to criminal cases.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Has anyone been charged under this statute/travisty yet?
    I am wondering the same thing.

Many of us on here are playing it safe which is fine..its your butt to risk but at the same time we're giving police more credit than i think they deserve in the way of enforcing this.

I highly doubt if you're in montgomery mall a cop is gonna do rounds around the damn mall for a dentist office(if he even knows the law exists). I highly doubt if you're grabbing headphones at best buy the cop is gonna check his google maps to see if there is a daycare nearby. I doubt if you're craving roaming roosters a cops gonna map out how close you are to pike n rose park.

Nothing wrong with playing it safe but lets be real. Especially when cops are saying they dunno what the charge will be

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    So we will have to wait on current litigation under Bruen to se what happens, since there have yet to be ANY lower court rulings (that I am aware of) under Bruen.
    You have not been paying attention. There have been numerous rulings in numerous courts, although none of these rulings have been final judgments.

NY's Bruen temper tantrum law lawsuit was initially dismissed for lack of standing. The revised lawsuit had a preliminary injunction (PI) partly granted and partly denied. The 2CA stayed that ruling.

The RI and OR mag ban laws had the TRO and/or PI denied because mags are not arms.

Things seem to be proceeding just like past history.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    You have not been paying attention. There have been numerous rulings in numerous courts, although none of these rulings have been final judgments.

NY's Bruen temper tantrum law lawsuit was initially dismissed for lack of standing. The revised lawsuit had a preliminary injunction (PI) partly granted and partly denied. The 2CA stayed that ruling.

The RI and OR mag ban laws had the TRO and/or PI denied because mags are not arms.

Things seem to be proceeding just like past history.
    As of last Thursday, the Oregon ban had a PI.
    https://www.kgw.com/article/news/po...cked/283-f470484a-aef7-483d-bf4d-628e7f0654d7
    Was a stay issued since then?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    God forbid, but I wonder what happens if some lady with a restraining order winds up dead because of an abusive ex, all because there was no way for her to get out of her cul-de-sac while carrying without violating this law... who has the liability for depriving such a person of her rights and life. The county is going to wind up with blood on its hands, mark my words.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    And, if you actually have to use that pistol, any carry insurance or legal service membership you’ve been paying for will drop you cold because you were breaking the law while defending yourself. Fun!
    Yup.

I'm looking forward to when Elrich has to bend the knee on all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom