• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    I am not even sure if its called mono gas ring, its a single, but continuous gas ring, almost like a key ring that loops around 3 times. This is quite different from the traditional 3 rings.....

A sale associate of Precision Firearms mentioned this design avoid the misalignment of the traditional 3 rings system... Wondering if there is any pro and con about this mono gas ring.

Need your thoughts.

Thanks!!

image1_zps1c389cc9.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    MacFarland gas-ring setup, supposedly better suited for F/A and suppressor duty.

Have a few bcg's with that setup (came that way from maker), haven't noticed any difference from a standard 3-ring setup.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It is supposed to prevent gas leakage, because there are no slots that can line up to allow the gas to flow through. It is good for FA, suppressed, bump fire, high rate of semi auto fire, and just to not have to worry about playing with your gas rings during the cleaning cycle.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    It is supposed to prevent gas leakage, because there are no slots that can line up to allow the gas to flow through. It is good for FA, suppressed, bump fire, high rate of semi auto fire, and just to not have to worry about playing with your gas rings during the cleaning cycle.

Except that the normal gas rings do not have a gap when the bolt is installed. I could be wrong but the whole gas ring gaps being staggered is a myth.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Except that the normal gas rings do not have a gap when the bolt is installed. I could be wrong but the whole gas ring gaps being staggered is a myth.

I have read the same and while I've never tried it, I've seen more than one article state that an AR will function with only ONE gas ring working.

I've wondered why ARs were ever even designed to use these rings. Piston-operated gas systems don't need any kind of sealing ring, and the AR doesn't use any special type of seal where the gas tube enters the gas key. So why couldn't Stoner have just designed the bolt & carrier without the need for sealing rings?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have read the same and while I've never tried it, I've seen more than one article state that an AR will function with only ONE gas ring working.

I've wondered why ARs were ever even designed to use these rings. Piston-operated gas systems don't need any kind of sealing ring, and the AR doesn't use any special type of seal where the gas tube enters the gas key. So why couldn't Stoner have just designed the bolt & carrier without the need for sealing rings?

the bolt is the last area acted upon in the system so you need the most gas velocity to cycle, no rings and gases just leak around the bolt.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I'd like to see what clandestine has to say about it but it sounds like it would be a good investment for my ar with a bump fire stock

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

You are correct. Staggering is not needed and an AR will run on one gas ring.

Without the rings it will bleed more fouling into the action. The rings not only seal the expansion chamber until the vent ports bleed gas and allow unlocking, but also clean fouling as they operate. The AR system will get carbon buildup in the bolt assembly but it self limits in the critical areas.

Standard piston guns can vent gas without concern for where it goes, the D.I.AR15 is essentially an internal gas piston thus requires controlled venting.

I'd like to see what clandestine has to say about it but it sounds like it would be a good investment for my ar with a bump fire stock

One piece rings are hype and junk IMO. Just another gadget to part people from their money. Just use standard Gas Rings. There is no weakness in the design.

In my experience these rings are often applied because something in the build is wrong. If your gunsmith says your gun needs these to run then find a new smith. These one piece rings also wear faster than standard split rings because they can't expand and constrict as easy.

The McFarland gas rings are part of the MK18 package but I guess they get better ones than the ones I deal with.

Last edited:

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    One piece rings are hype and junk IMO. Just another gadget to part people from their money. Just use standard Gas Rings. There is no weakness in the design.

In my experience these rings are often applied because something in the build is wrong. If your gunsmith says your gun needs these to run then find a new smith. These one piece rings also wear faster than standard split rings because they can't expand and constrict as easy.

I am fairly decent at doing my own smithing with my dremel (...I kid....I kid...:innocent0). honestly I haven't yet had a need of a gunsmith but if I do I will be looking you up chad.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I am fairly decent at doing my own smithing with my dremel (...I kid....I kid...:innocent0). honestly I haven't yet had a need of a gunsmith but if I do I will be looking you up chad.

He is good at what he does and he knows his stuff. He even said he would shoot a 40 to try to troubleshoot somebody's gun. I know how much pain that caused him to say that. Especially after the Hi-Point 40 cal episode at The Gun Shop last year. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom