• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    So I took a friend to the range today. He brought along his 1938 Moison Nagant (sp) rifle to sight in.

The ammo he used was Silver Wolf.

The rifle looked great, but not a single round fired (we tried 3). Without my reading glasses I had a hard time finding a firing pin mark on the 'fired' rounds.

My initial thoughts were cosmoline in the firing pin channel or possibly a broken a firing pin. He's never fired the rifle before - this was his first time to the range since getting it.

Does anyone know how to break down the bolt to check the firing pin & channel?

How about any local shops that can have some experience with these rifles? (Howard County area)

Thanks!

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    There should be a tool that came with the rifle that looks kinda like a bottle opener.

Go to youtube and search Mosin Nagant Firing Pin and you'll see how to disassemble the bolt and use that tool to set the proper firing pin depth.

Simple fix that should only take a few minutes.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Guys thanks! BTW any suggestions on where to look for spare parts for the rifle should he need them?

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Usually the East European and Russian made Nagants come with the firing pin protrusion guage that you can use. I do not know if your French made Nagant comes with this tool.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Guys thanks again, you've all been a big help and one chuckle (Ok I'll learn how to properly spell "Mosin").

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    If he hasn't thoroughly cleaned the rifle yet, he should probably start there.

The rifle is clean - but he has never taken down the bolt. We're both former soldiers so we know the value of a clean weapon. ;)

TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    Very important to check firing pin protrusion before firing, could be dangerous if there is too much protrusion.

Also I suggest breaking down the bolt to fully get cosmo out, I ended up breaking it down and boiling it in water, got all the cosmo out, bolt was much smoother.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom