• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Anyone make it to the MDRA Sod Farm launch this weekend?

Just curious if anyone made it to the Sod Farm Launch this weekend. Overboost? It seemed like a perfect pair of days for rockets...light breeze and fair skies. I ended up doing a ton of work on Saturday to get ready for our renovation: moving stuff from the deck, and all the power equipment stored underneath; cutting down a few small trees and leveling the area for a new shed; and lifting pavers from the old patio to use as corner supports for the shed.

Since I got so much accomplished yesterday, I gave myself the morning and afternoon off to shoot in AAF&G's Rimfire Action match today. Again, a really nice day considering we're still in August. Shot terrible, but better than not shooting at all! Now I'm back at it, getting the workshop ready for the construction.

JoeR

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I took the kids out there and we had some friends join us with their kids. It was really cool that there were quite a few kids out there and they all seem to have a great time. There were plenty of free rockets for them to launch.

The weather was beautiful and there was a big enough breeze that most kept it under 3000 feet. I would bet that today they were going all out. Met another MDS member there as well.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    det1nEW.jpg

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Estes Model Rockets!

Used to launch them all the time in my parents' back yard. (Directly under the southern flight path to Andrews!) :shocked3:

Back in the mid-'80s, one of my old friends invited me over for 'races'.

A bunch of the 'old guys' took 1/32 car models and raced them, using model rockets for power.

20 lb Trilene stretched between two anchors, with padding at the finish line.
    Small "eye loops" were used to hold the car to the ground and the monofilament.

I built a car using balsa wood and model airplane landing gear (wheels) and used straight pins and small brass tubing for axles.

Also had a '65 GTO. Both were fast!

Gotta check the basement, to see if any of that stuff is still around. :D

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    How am I just finding this thread?? I've flown with NARHAMS since I was a kid in the early 80's. I've been out of it for the last decade or so, and am just getting back into it. I flew at the contest at goddard in July, then did the day/night launch in Sept in Mt Airy. They are supposed to do a launch at the Ag Center in Westminster this Sat weather permitting. I used to fly all the way up through G, but never had the funds to get certified and start in high power.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Check out the book/movie "Rock Boys".

Then, Google "R-candy"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's "Rocket Boys", also published under the anagram " October Sky", and was made into a movie with the latter title. I have an autographed copy. :D

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I build and fly all sorts of rockets, from low- to high-power. I'm certified at Level II, so can legally launch rockets up to L class motors. If you're interested, you should come out to the monthly launches held by the Maryland-Delaware Rocketry Association (MDRA). Their website is http://mdrocketry.org/.

The club holds a launch every month on the Eastern Shore. During the growing season, the launch site is Central Sod farm just north of the 50/301 split. In the winter, launches are held at a huge farm near Price, MD...about 20 miles north of the split off of Rt-405. At the big field the FAA waiver is 17,000 feet and there have been rockets to get up there!!! The biggest "model rocket" I ever seen was a 1/10th scale Saturn V -- all 36.5 feet of it! The rocket weighed just under a ton at liftoff and reached just shy of 5,000 feet!

One of the aspects I most like about the club is that it's very kid-friendly. They really know how to "pay it forward" with youngsters. In fact, they have a "bucket of rockets" for kids to have something to fly, and will hand them engines and show how to prep the rocket for launch. It's wonderful to watch as a kid hears his/her name announced on the PA system and then sees his rocket take off.

JoeR

My sons (5 and 3) have just become fascinated with model rockets. I showed them a youtube video and they are now obsessed with them, especially the 3 year old. I am buying some rockets to build with them for Christmas and hope to shoot them off shortly there after where we live. I think I will bring them to one of these events to let them see a bunch go off and spend the day with them. Thanks for sharing this.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Went to MDRA launch today at Higgs Farm. Couple Christmas trees did some cartwheels. Someone had a 150 pound monster getting ready for late afternoon, sorry I missed that, had to leave before it went. Some really nice launches, and unfortunately some big ones never got spotted again after breaking through a scattered low ceiling. I had two with chutes that deployed but didn't open. My boy warned me to unpack then repack chutes, they been sitting weeks. My excuse was they were 4" tubes, how could they not open.. :facepalm:

Last edited:

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    ...I had two with chutes that deployed but didn't open. My boy warned me to unpack then repack chutes, they been sitting weeks. My excuse was they were 4" tubes, how could they not open.. :facepalm:

Even with mid-size, I always re-pack, and if not nylon, dust with powder.
    I've actually got white primer boogers this evening from sanding.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Went to MDRA launch today at Higgs Farm. Couple Christmas trees did some cartwheels. Someone had a 150 pound monster getting ready for late afternoon, sorry I missed that, had to leave before it went. Some really nice launches, and unfortunately some big ones never got spotted again after breaking through a scattered low ceiling. I had two with chutes that deployed but didn't open. My boy warned me to unpack then repack chutes, they been sitting weeks. My excuse was they were 4" tubes, how could they not open.. :facepalm:

Sorry about your rocket, Schipperke. BTDT. It sounds like I made the wrong choice when I decided to go to the Timonium show today. The weather forecast said the wind was going to get up to 20 kts around noon. I assumed that it wouldn't be good rocket weather. I love seeing the Christmas tree launches...just tons of fun to watch the cartwheels.

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom