• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    I'm mad I missed your Mega Red Max, I was out hunting. How did it fly? Must have been a nice big chute on that thing, good for a video.

It took a little turn at the end of the rail and went off over the tall grass. I think maybe it needed to go on the longer rail. It really moved fast on that F50.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Wow.. Glad that defeated the trees !!
    I saw some nice rockets up in the tree line while searching.

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    Anyone know any good field to do a couple of fairly low power test launches in that is a reasonable distance from pikesville? Balt. Co. says it's a no-no to launch in county parks, and I can't imagine schools would be too keen on it either. I wanted to test a couple of contest flights before Saturday's contest.

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    Had a great time at ECRM this weekend. It was my first time competing in a real NAR contest, managed to snag 4th place in standard precision payload, which was one of the harder events.
    Here's a shot of my venerable old archer going up on an F50 today.

Attachments

• archerwooshsm.jpg
      archerwooshsm.jpg
      97.8 KB · Views: 287
    • archer-n-mesm.jpg
      archer-n-mesm.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 286

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    A bunch of us were into the model rockets back in the late 60s/early 70s. We built, launched (and lost) a lot of them. When my son got interested in the late 80s/early 90s we discovered that the MAFs (Mothers Against Fun) had struck again and sucked most of the fun out of the activity. No longer was any field within bicycle range a launching site. Now we had to go to scheduled events by car to launch. That pretty much killed it for us. I'm not a "joiner" and neither is my son, we like to do stuff when, where and as we like. Just too independent and self-sufficient I guess.

But now I have a grandson, maybe we'll give it another try when he's a little older.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Launched it, and my boy says, "I know why they call it a blender".. Just a fun thing, maybe 75'
    Thing flies straight up and spins at huge rpm..

Last edited:

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    I used to get the Estes kits from the local hardware store when I was in high school (mid 90s). They were a lot of fun. I may look for one soon. Nothing too complicated or any of the crazy custom stuff.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I used to get the Estes kits from the local hardware store when I was in high school (mid 90s). They were a lot of fun. I may look for one soon. Nothing too complicated or any of the crazy custom stuff.

Way different today. They have a ton of ready to fly, built in China. Get yourself one where you glue balsa fins, engine mount etc. , real easy. The paint is the demanding part. Just takes time, not a ton of skill at all.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Way different today. They have a ton of ready to fly, built in China. Get yourself one where you glue balsa fins, engine mount etc. , real easy. The paint is the demanding part. Just takes time, not a ton of skill at all.

That's what I was looking for. I'll need the whole thing: platform, guide rod, everything. I've seen starter kits at Michaels and a random hobby shop. Seems like a good start to getting back into it.

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    Went out to my first mdra launch today. Nice site, fun group, a nice laid back launch. Had a good time and saw some decent size stuff go off. Here's a good shot I got of someone's J powered model go off.

Attachments

• sparkyJ.jpg
      sparkyJ.jpg
      121.2 KB · Views: 174

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Who knew there was a model rocket thread?!?

I don't really do anything with rockets, but I happened to be at the 4-H model rocket contest at the HoCo fair this year. So I thought I'd share a slow motion of them. I was filmed at 60fps then played at 24, then slowed down 25% from there. The first little segment where they all took off was a misfire, from there on I just spliced the launches together. It's just a rough cut and nothing special.. It was just for fun.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom