MOCO Principal says students who circulated video (Makes her look bad) on social media will face consequences!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

After video of two students engaging in a physical altercation at Gaithersburg’s Quince Orchard High School went viral on social media last week, the principal pledged “consequences” for the students involved in the fight and for anyone who recorded and shared footage of the altercation online.

“I want to assure you that actions which violate the code of conduct have consequences, not only for ourselves but for our entire school community. Consequences for those who participated, for those who took videos to share on social media, and for those who took the liberty to circulate a video,” Principal Elizabeth Thomas wrote in a Sept. 8 letter to the school community. “We will not tolerate these actions.”

From hate hunters to going after student 1A abusers. The MOCO way!

It was actually nice to see the big kid intervene. :thumbsup:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    What exactly is the code of conduct?
    In what bizarro world does sending someone a video of a fight equate to actually fighting?

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Maybe by staying around and not dispersing/ returning to class, promoting the violence and adding to the workload of those who needed to interceed and break up the fight, the students violated the rules.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Maybe by staying around and not dispersing/ returning to class, promoting the violence and adding to the workload of those who needed to interceed and break up the fight, the students violated the rules.

Especially Principal Thomas who had to stay up all night writing that stupid letter.

Had the kids just kept quiet, none of this would ever have gotten out.

"Student conduct unbecoming to MCPS administration will be dealt with severely!"

Last edited:

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I wonder how they are going to hand out punishment... They aren't allowed to suspend black kids. I watched several videos, don't see any white kids beating the daylights out of anyone.
    This one goes back to the 80's... https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...sparity/ccab4b8d-e792-49d6-8a4d-1617122c4ac6/

I could probably find a bunch more of these equity minded articles, but I think my point is made.

This is a quote from the 1985 article, could be a quote from yesterday...
    Under the school system's suspension policy, students are automatically suspended, usually for one to five days, for fighting, intimidating or insulting teachers, extorting money, carrying weapons, destroying school property and using drugs or alcohol.

Cody said previous studies have shown that most suspensions are warranted, but he added that conditions may exist that cause certain students to act out their frustrations more than others.

"I just don't believe there is that much difference in black student behavior," said Robinson. "There are some very serious things at work here, and my feeling is either they don't know how or they are unwilling to come to grips with them.
    The soft bigotry of low expectations. In this instance, 1985 MCPS Superintendent Cody is saying that black children don't know how to deal with life or aren't willing to "come to grips" with reality. That is no different than President Biden saying that poor kids are just as smart as white kids. The Democrats are telling black children that they just aren't smart enough, mature enough, emotionally responsible enough or otherwise capable of acting responsibly. They are telling these kids that they have no option other than to act out when things don't go their way. Mosby telling them they can have space to destroy comes to mind.

The school system doesn't care about these kids, that is obvious. They also don't care about any of the other kids that are disrupted by this behavior.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS IS WHAT SYSTEMIC RACISM LOOKS LIKE! Police arresting criminals, regardless of their race, isn't systemic racism.

Systemic racism is policies that are put into place to allow a very small minority of the population to destroy a school system for the remainder of the population. The majority of black and Hispanic students, as well as white and Asian students, would likely do substantially better if we didn't allow a very small slice of the student body to run amok and cause issues like this. These criminals that are acting this way after the football game are the same ones fighting in the schools, disrupting class, draining resources, bullying their classmates, coercing other students into deviant style behavior... all while knowing that the school system can't (or won't) do anything for fear of being branded a racist.

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Failing to attend class could be something the observers could be punished for. Maybe even for recording video on school property without permission. But circulating videos and commentary outside of school on social media, not using school resources to do it? That does a face plant straight down into a slab concrete 1A doctrine.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I don't know where MCPS gets off thinking it's the students' responsibility to make sure their school system is represented well. If you're having fights in the school, that sounds like a disciplinary problem, not a 1A problem.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    To play devil's advocate, studies have shown that black kids are subject to punishments at a higher rate than their counterparts who commit the same infractions. That certainly DOES NOT account for the large disparity in the numbers (which in part can be rooted in things like fatherless homes etc.) but it is certainly a counterpoint to the narrative.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    To play devil's advocate, studies have shown that black kids are subject to punishments at a higher rate than their counterparts who commit the same infractions. That certainly DOES NOT account for the large disparity in the numbers (which in part can be rooted in things like fatherless homes etc.) but it is certainly a counterpoint to the narrative.
    Have you ever looked at them on a case by case basis? Every example that I have ever seen is not an apples-to-apples comparison. For example, student 1 and student 2 are fighting at school. Student 1 gets 1 week of detention, student 2 gets suspended for a week. Seems like student 2 got a more harsh punishment for no reason.

Then you look at the individual students and see that this is student 1's first offense. Student 2 has been involved in 3 other fights at school and has been given 1 week of detention per fight already. At the FOURTH fight, they finally suspend him.

It's lazy at best, or intentionally manipulative at worst, to suggest that student 2 is being punished at a "higher rate" than student 1 for the "same offense". In reality, student 2 has received multiple opportunities to improve and has proven time and again that he is incapable of being personally responsible and is disruptive to the school and a danger to other students.

These "studies" are often ridiculous and intentionally pushing a narrative.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Have you ever looked at them on a case by case basis? Every example that I have ever seen is not an apples-to-apples comparison. For example, student 1 and student 2 are fighting at school. Student 1 gets 1 week of detention, student 2 gets suspended for a week. Seems like student 2 got a more harsh punishment for no reason.

Then you look at the individual students and see that this is student 1's first offense. Student 2 has been involved in 3 other fights at school and has been given 1 week of detention per fight already. At the FOURTH fight, they finally suspend him.

It's lazy at best, or intentionally manipulative at worst, to suggest that student 2 is being punished at a "higher rate" than student 1 for the "same offense". In reality, student 2 has received multiple opportunities to improve and has proven time and again that he is incapable of being personally responsible and is disruptive to the school and a danger to other students.

These "studies" are often ridiculous and intentionally pushing a narrative.
    I certainly didn't design the studies and I merely pointed to their existence as a devil's advocate. At a minimum...it should drive respectful discourse like we are doing now :-)

Here is an article on the approach used in one of the studies. Not sure if it addresses the very confounding variable you posed but it is certainly something that can be controlled for (the longitudinal behavioral history of the students being studied)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The student code of conduct is 34 pages. This is the only section that directly calls out the required conduct. The rest is politics and DEI stuff.

Student Conduct
    Students shall be provided with expectations about how they should conduct themselves at school, at schoolsponsored events, and on MCPS buses and other MCPS vehicles. Many teachers directly engage students in the process of developing class codes of conduct, an important opportunity for students to agree on a few clear statements of how they will treat others and, more important from a student’s perspective, how they would like others to treat them. The following list is a starting point for engaging students in the process of setting positive expectations for conduct in an environment of mutual respect and dignity: 1. My words, actions, and attitudes demonstrate respect for myself and others at all times. 2. I demonstrate pride in myself, in my future, and in my school by arriving on time, dressed appropriately, and prepared to focus on my studies. 3. I always seek the most peaceful means of resolving conflict and obtain the assistance of teachers, administrators, or school staff when I am unable to resolve conflicts peacefully on my own. 4. I seek to correct any harm that I have caused to others in the school community. 5. I take pride in promoting a safe and clean learning environment at my school.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The student code of conduct is 34 pages. This is the only section that directly calls out the required conduct. The rest is politics and DEI stuff.
    I don't recall anything like a code of conduct when I was in school, much less 34 pages.

Students were expected to pay attention in class, not disrupt proceedings, and do what the teacher told them to do. Failure to adhere would bring unwelcome attention in varying degrees. Everybody pretty much knew what was acceptable behavior, and usually acted accordingly.

I don't ever recall an act of violence against a teacher, though we did get one to cry, and another one smacked a kid, bouncing his head off the chalk tray. That didn't end well for that teacher. (There was obviously some psywar going on, students vs authority).

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Come on now... school is a place to prepare our youth for the world they will live in. And in that world, the Federal Government jails people for exercising their 1st amendment rights. So better they learn to shut their mouths, obey, and not commit thought crimes now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom