• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitadelTraining

Firearms Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Jun 29, 2023
    Waldorf, MD
    Seems to me, your first step would be to get your HQL in order to purchase a regulated firearm (handgun) when you turn 21 in a couple months. Unless you are exempt, MD requires that you take a 4hr course, which would cover many of your safety and firearm basics and get you well on your way to familiarization and help you to decide what firearm might be right for your first purchase.

I am a firearms instructor and provide this training, but unless you are in Southern Maryland often, there are bound to be others closer to Rockville for you to use. In any event, I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you might have and to help you navigate the sometimes-confusing Maryland laws and hurdles that you must jump to exercise your 2A rights. Feel free to reach out here or via email service@citadeltraining.net.

If you were to do the 16-hour Wear & Carry Course, you could get the HQL for free after your permit was issued. Your post made it seem that you wanted to get familiar with your firearm before going that route, but I wanted to make sure that was known.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Dan,
    Welcome! I started out when I was about your age. I started with a Ruger 10/22 and then a 12 ga shotgun. I had a ton of fun with those two guns shooting paper and clays. The 10/22 was a lot of fun to modify. Once I turned 21, I bought a Smith & Wesson 686, as it is similar to what I started out with as a kid. Then I got into reloading. Then into AR-15s. Then into long range shooting. Be careful! Maybe you better quit now while you have a chance.

Happy to help. I'm a member at Damascus IWLA and Mayberry, a couple private ranges. Happy to meet up and let you try out a couple guns you might be interested in.

Katsoup

Avtomat Kalashnikova
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2023
    Maryland
    Welcome!
    I visit Southern MD a lot for shooting/practice. Reach out whenever!

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Between the thread title and his comments , it's unclear if he's primarily in MoCo or SoMd ?

Shanny

Jul 14, 2022
    Maryland
    Thank you for the reply! Good luck with the build! What are you building I always wanna learn more.
    well I finished it yesterday, tore my fingers to shreds, it was like putting a steel 3d puzzle together, I have an LWRCI DI and customized it to my female preferences

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom