• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    come on now????

We put 299,935 miles on a 90 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 I6 engine. Running Mobil 1.

The rear main seal started leaking, so I would run until the oil pressure light would come on, and pull over and dump in a couple of quarts. Since it was dripping so much, I stopped changing it, just changed the filter once a year.

Ran close to 100K in that mode.

The engine still ran well, started well, good power and gas mileage.

And the tranny went around 350K with Mobil 1. And according to the local Jeep service manager, that tranny (no filter) seldom made it to 125K miles.

you mean you did not do a full blueprint rebuild after every trip to the grocery store? :innocent0

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    One is for opening up tight bores and the other is supposed to be the best CLP available. :innocent0

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Eezox is what a lot of the shooting pros use for gun lube and cleaning. Because in competition you end up shooting in all types of weather, Eezox was the best anti-rust there was for a good while. I still use it and I am very lazy when it comes to cleaning, yet my guns never fail in a match even if I have gone 1k-2k rounds since the last time my cleaning gear got near my firearms. Eezox deposits a lube that blends into the metal and a carrier that can be wiped off and still lube the metal parts.
    As for STP it was and still is just a viscosity improver, meaning it makes 20w oil perform like 50w oil, which is all well and good but making the oil heavier and thicker slows down the moving parts. Thing is engines run best on the lightest oil that can do the job without breaking down (and make the most power) which is why factory recommended oils are significantly lighter in weight than in the old days.
    In a firearm as long as it goes bang everytime you pull the trigger and feeds the next round, whatever you are using is working.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    That is one of the nicer kits I have seen. Glad you got a good one.

The Jag is neat because it allows the rod to spin like a Dewey rod so it can follow the rifling.

Of the Grease is dark grey, that is the stuff I believe has graphite in it. If that is accurate just be careful on what guns you use it on

I figure it wold be a good lube for bolts. Messy but slick as snot.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Never used FireClean, wasn’t that the repackaged veggie oil? I tend to stay with what I know works. If sampling indicates a better mouse trap is available, I’ll use it. I mean how good is good for the task?

Oil not oil. Every oil formulating entity will tell you that. Valvoline is one of those entities. Lubricants (liquid) are oil/lubes of the correct grade with additives added to meet the requirements of the mechanism it is intended to be used in. I won’t get into a debate about additives and what they do. Many of us here understand that. Despite EPA regulations, I do know there are good, modern engine oils out there which are not up to task in some engines. So the oil is oil and gun lubes are repackaged motor oils isn’t true across the board.

Periodic maintenance and inspection can spot normal and abnormal wear. Some wear will be what initially occurs then is so slow and minor it isn’t worth measuring everytime the gun is cleaned and/or inspected. When problems begin to crop up then measurements will be made to justify adjustment or replacement. That is the premise I believe most of the members here are using to continue to use what they use. That’s cool, its their guns. But most of us won’t jump because so and so or whoever says something. With some of those credible evidence is submitted. We consider all the facts, make choices and move on.

My point is, oil is long chain hydrocarbons of a given range of number of carbon atoms. Oil.

The additives do various things for various uses. In most cases, they will not cause any harm in other applications. But their are exceptions.

But the challenge is still out there come up with ANY data about how gun oils are formulated differently than motor oils. And why.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Miss Piggy approves. Just like Kermit tells her to douche with vinegar and water because he likes sweet and sour pork.

Uh, do I still get some shrapnel from you? :)
    Yes

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom