Attachments

• sileners legal by state.jpg
      sileners legal by state.jpg
      45.7 KB · Views: 266

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Does anyone know if the suppressor bill passed in Vermont? That would make it 41 states. I've searched the internet, but only found that it passed the state legislature. Is it likely their governor will veto the Vermont bill?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The poster said he was glad MN was following the 2A. At the time, the 2A had nothing to do with silencers.

that was the point.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    What is almost more remarkable is the fact that you are now allowed to use them for hunting.

Have you seen that in writing? As I haven't researched it. One of the main reasons suppressors have been illegal in Mn (we learned growing up there) is the "poaching threat".

I hope you are right however, 'cause there are a whole lot 'o fox and coyotes that need killin there (quietly).

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Have you seen that in writing? As I haven't researched it. One of the main reasons suppressors have been illegal in Mn (we learned growing up there) is the "poaching threat".

I hope you are right however, 'cause there are a whole lot 'o fox and coyotes that need killin there (quietly).

Lol.

The dumbass governor is threatening to veto it as silencers are not mentioned in the second amendment :tdown: He is really looking hard for reasons to get thumped in outstate during the next election. The people against this fear that police won't be able to respond to 'shots fired' calls if all the criminals now get silencers (you know, after getting CLEO approval and NFA background check). These people are so dumb, I sometimes wonder how they brush their teeth without poking their eye out.

I believe the MN governor has a line-item veto. So he can keep voting rights for felons and additional cash for diversion programs for juvenile offenders in the bill yet veto the silencer provision (which passed with bipartisan support, I bet every democrat outside of the 7 county laland and Duluth voted for it).

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    As for whether it includes hunting:

This is from the text of the house bill:

Nothing in this section prohibits the lawful use of a suppressor or the possession of a firearm equipped to have a suppressor attached, as defined in section 609.66, subdivision 1a, paragraph (c), while hunting.

Now, I dont know whether there are DNR regulations in MN on suppressor use or whether the state law prohibition against them kept them out of hunters hands. If the DNR has their own regs, using them for hunting may not be that easy without further action by the legislature.

The bill is pretty good. It requires the CLEOs to complete the certification in a timely manner. It keeps silencers illegal if they are not 'lawfully possessed under federal law' (so a drug-dealer with a coffee can full of rags is still going to get jammed up under state law). It prescribes that having a MN carry permit creates a presumption that one is eligible to receive a firearm and as such the CLEO has to sign off on a suppressor application etc.

It is sad that this has to be written into a law:

(d) A chief law enforcement officer is not required to make any certification under this section known to be untrue, but the officer may not refuse to provide certification based on a generalized objection to private persons or entities making, possessing, or receiving firearms or any certain type of firearm, the possession of which is not prohibited by law.

This creates a cause of action for people in Minneapolis who may have some lesbian communist police chief who just doesn't want them to own any of those deadly silencers that make the shot-spot system moot ;)

I bet who wrote this had some expensive legislative counsel paid for by the NRA and suppressor trade groups.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    Lol.

The dumbass governor is threatening to veto it as silencers are not mentioned in the second amendment :tdown: He is really looking hard for reasons to get thumped in outstate during the next election. The people against this fear that police won't be able to respond to 'shots fired' calls if all the criminals now get silencers (you know, after getting CLEO approval and NFA background check). These people are so dumb, I sometimes wonder how they brush their teeth without poking their eye out.

I believe the MN governor has a line-item veto. So he can keep voting rights for felons and additional cash for diversion programs for juvenile offenders in the bill yet veto the silencer provision (which passed with bipartisan support, I bet every democrat outside of the 7 county laland and Duluth voted for it).

I can just imagine all those criminals lining up at WalMart to get their legal "silencer" 'sayin "it's about damn time!"

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    I see now that suppressors will be legal to hunt with in Mn on 1 Aug 2015!

Definitely will be taking advantage of this as I will be ordering at least one in the next few days!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I see now that suppressors will be legal to hunt with in Mn on 1 Aug 2015!

Definitely will be taking advantage of this as I will be ordering at least one in the next few days!

Did the governor sign it ?

I just checked. The bill was rolled into SF878 the 'omnibus public safety finance and policy bill' and that is listed as

Governor approval 05/22/2015
    Secretary of State, Filed 05/22/2015

Unless he line-itemd out the suppressor portion, it is now the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom