• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I'm having trouble finding a minimum caliber in the law for HQL and wear and carry courses. I thought it was stated someplace, am I fun of poo?

Assistance from the MDS research team please.

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I remember it being knocked around at least a 9mm or 38 cal. But can't find it in the law anyplace. I'm kinda hoping there ain't no minimum nd a 22 can be used esp. For the HQL .
    TD

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    The qualification for the wear and carry is a minimum caliber of 9mm in semi and .38 for revolver. HQL has no minimum

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm having trouble finding a minimum caliber in the law for HQL and wear and carry courses. I thought it was stated someplace, am I fun of poo?

Assistance from the MDS research team please.

I don't believe the research team chimed in on how fun he actually is.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    The caliber requirement was not included in the current version of the law. There was a requirement for 9mm and .38 but not any longer.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The caliber requirement was not included in the current version of the law. There was a requirement for 9mm and .38 but not any longer.

I've heard more than once first hand that the law makers did discuss the possibility of requiring a student to shoot a firearm; but in the end the agreement was to intentionally leave it out. It was put in the COMAR by the MDSP.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    I've heard more than once first hand that the law makers did discuss the possibility of requiring a student to shoot a firearm; but in the end the agreement was to intentionally leave it out. It was put in the COMAR by the MDSP.
    you are totally correct on the HQL statute and regulations. The carry permit standards did dictate a caliber requirement at one point. I had to borrow a 9mm the first time I shot the carry permit course of fire. I was strictly .45 back then.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    So if a .22 can be used, could a target pistol lime a High Standard Citation be used? I don't see anything in the requirements for a concealable handgun, just that you have to show a 70% proficiency with a handgun.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    By the MD definition of a firearm, it theoretically wouldn't even need to be a true firearm per se. Even a SIMS gun would technically be considered a 'firearm'.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    By the MD definition of a firearm, it theoretically wouldn't even need to be a true firearm per se. Even a SIMS gun would technically be considered a 'firearm'.
    Technically no.

It all depends on instructor also. I personally would not teach a w&c class using Sims.

If they are going to wear and carry, they need to be proficient on a firearm they will carry IRL.

YMMV.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So if a .22 can be used, could a target pistol lime a High Standard Citation be used? I don't see anything in the requirements for a concealable handgun, just that you have to show a 70% proficiency with a handgun.
    We just had a student ran a "target" pistol. Sort story, more trouble to deal with. (Keeps jamming, improper holster fit etc.)

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Technically no.

It all depends on instructor also. I personally would not teach a w&c class using Sims.

If they are going to wear and carry, they need to be proficient on a firearm that will carry IRL.

YMMV.

I agree with you, you need to be proficient with what you carry, and what you carry should be a defensive caliber.

while you can defend yourself with a 22lr.... why would you.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For some people, an actual firing range is an issue - as in there isn't one to use.

That's where the SIMS comes in handy. It can be setup and fired in so many places and due to the lack of noise, no one's the wiser.

It's only use is to satisfy the live-fire portion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom