Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt 45 Malt Liquor

colt45web.jpeg

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I seem to recall that a .32 was pretty deadly back in the day. I don't think human tissue has toughened that much in the last 100 years or so.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I agree . Shot placement is king, my answer to “what should I carry?” Is always the biggest caliber you can shoot the most accurately.

TD

I was with you until the last sentence .

At first I took " biggest " as euphemism for " most potent " . In that context , full power .357 , full power 10mm, etc, are high on the continuum also .

That said , I have high degree of confidence in 9mm with my loadings of choice .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I still call an audible BS stopping power is not a myth. So you tell me my .500 S&W has no better stopping power than a 9mm. Really?
    9mm in the chest is better than .500 SW in the arm. Just sayin'.
    People need to learn to shoot first before shooting the shit about calibers. Bigger calibers do not make up for lack of training.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    People need to learn to shoot first before shooting the shit about calibers. Bigger calibers do not make up for lack of training.

Absolutely. Two quick center-mass hits with a .38 Special are better than a loud miss with a .357 that you either have to take time pulling down out of recoil or drop when you cover your ears from the blast.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Much of the inspiration to return to 9mm from .40 was cost per round, less recoil, faster times back on target. Translating to more rounds on target, hopefully.

The same reasons they dropped the 10mm in favor of the .40.

The reason that Miami made them go to the 10mm was multiple factors as well. The agents were mostly armed with revolvers with 6 round cap, they wanted more rounds, the 9mm did not have the stopping power they craved.

The late return to 9mm is largely due to the above listed reasons, but tied up with new bullet technology to excuse the change for them.

IANAFBIA

Also, the officers when using 40s wher haveing difficulty controling recoil, which was a cause to switch to 9mm. The only reason the military uses 9mm is because it is a NATO round and available all over. At least their is some consistancy between countrys.
    Yes… which is why I mentioned it in the post you quoted above.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    from, like, the 90's, man! Aren't 21st Century defensive 9mm loadings a whole different situation? :shrug: I thought big LE agencies were going back to 9mm.

I've even heard whisperings that modern .380 packs a punch now.

However...I might take a serious look at a .45acp Sig P365... :innocent0

(or, on the other end of the spectrum, when they make one in .30 carry that probably holds 20 rounds)

The main difference between '90s top quality and todays Latest Greatest ( in typical Duty cals ) is the L & G penetrates better thru windshields . For Felons on Foot , little different .

( Seperate discussion about each mass caliber migration )

I dunno about that , it's still pretty much either/ or .

If you want something of that role , the .45acp Shield is available now !

If really flat trajectory , decent sectional density , and almost as much terminal smack down as 9mm , then .30SC is your Huckleberry .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Understanding that the FBI gets a lot of hate around here... They have the research budget and agencies that can afford to follow their lead. They did indeed go back to 9mm.

And have a high priority of making FBI look all knowing and influential .

Back at the time of previous FBI led mass transitions , two other Fed Agencies had research budgets and expertise . ( USSS and USBP) and came up with different solutions , but FBI has bigger PR Department .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I’d rather put multiple rounds on target quickly than deal with a lot of muzzle flip/recoil. That’s just my thought process. I’ll probably stick with 9mm, unless I have a .45 that goes better with my outfit.

That's thought out and internally rational .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is going to hurt feeling. 9mm is better than .45.

" Better " could have multiple contexts

If one were to state ( what ever 9mm load ) was more terminally effective than "most bestest " .45acp load , that would get the gong .

A statement to the effect of " Modern super duper 9mm is reasonably effective for LE Duty use . plus the 9mm caliber & guns have advantages of their own ,not least of which is less $ spent by your Dept . " , that would be accurate statement .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Put the other way , smaller calibers are a crutch for marginal skill .

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    And have a high priority of making FBI look all knowing and influential .

Back at the time of previous FBI led mass transitions , two other Fed Agencies had research budgets and expertise . ( USSS and USBP) and came up with different solutions , but FBI has bigger PR Department .
    And what does USSS use today? 9mm

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Yes a .500 in the chest beats a 9mm in the chest and agree bigger calibers do not make up for proper training. Accuracy was not the issue saying knock down power is a myth was the issue. Hell a double tap with a 22 to the head works best.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I guess one upside to all of us having to carry .50AE is that we are much less likely to get hemmed up with the whole 10 round mag thing, especially while printing at the local watering hole :rolleye12

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    And like most things gov spends money on, that isn't because it is better, it's because it's 'good enough' and more 'cost effective'.

And because some people couldn't handle the recoil of more powerful rounds.
    Yeah yeah.

All I know is that when FAMS and USSS WERE using .357Sig, many handgun enthusiasts were quick to say, "See?! The people who protect our skies and the Prez use that caliber, so it must be the BEST!"

So I guess back then the gov was a totally responsible entity, whereas suddenly, in the last 6 or so years, it's all about cost-cutting and limp-wristing, right?

lazybones

BANNED!!!
    Mar 25, 2022
    The largest caliber that you can accurately place two rounds while under extreme pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom