• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If you could have only one, which is best?

• AR 15

Votes: 229 80.1%
    • Mini 14

Votes: 57 19.9%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    so i've noticed :rolleyes:

im curious about the AK thing though...what is it, in your eyes, that makes the AK any better than a Mini?

Well this was a thread about comparing the Mini the AR and if only allowed one which would you select and WHY..

If the OP doesn't mind the Hijack I'll answer.

1) Availability of Parts, again you can buy any part (including flats) for the AK for repair or construction you desire.

2) Availablitly and cost of magazines.

3) Durability and Reliability. The AK is king of the smei-autos in this department. It was built as a military rifle, and many of the available parts came from military rifles.

4) Side mounted scope rail still beats the 'built in Ruger ring mounts'.

5) Field stripping is far easier with the AK than the Mini.

There are some subjective things about the AK that I prefer like the historical aspect, and I find the safety to be more in line with modern safety practices of keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until you're ready to fire.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    *Sniffs the air* Hmm, you smell that boys, smells like Gun snobbery in here.

...dude must have a bigger billfold than I 'cause I'm not about to drop over 500rds of .223 per year. Nope. 50 rds per visit to the range and that's it (of course back in my days, the USN only allowed for approx 60 rds per year in the budgetary trng allotment!)

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Well this was a thread about comparing the Mini the AR and if only allowed one which would you select and WHY..

If the OP doesn't mind the Hijack I'll answer.

1) Availability of Parts, again you can buy any part (including flats) for the AK for repair or construction you desire.

2) Availablitly and cost of magazines.

3) Durability and Reliability. The AK is king of the smei-autos in this department. It was built as a military rifle, and many of the available parts came from military rifles.

4) Side mounted scope rail still beats the 'built in Ruger ring mounts'.

5) Field stripping is far easier with the AK than the Mini.

There are some subjective things about the AK that I prefer like the historical aspect, and I find the safety to be more in line with modern safety practices of keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until you're ready to fire.

interesting.

back on topic, gents.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Where's a good place to get a mini-14?

"Lou 45" has some nice used ones. I just bought a new Ruger mini 14 Ranch Rifle, from Bass Pro. They honored the Walmart selling price of $617.

I guess now I can officially start my own comparison. I've had several M-16's jam on me, to include one broken extractor spring. We'll see how well the mini holds up!

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    "Lou 45" has some nice used ones. I just bought a new Ruger mini 14 Ranch Rifle, from Bass Pro. They honored the Walmart selling price of $617.

I guess now I can officially start my own comparison. I've had several M-16's jam on me, to include one broken extractor spring. We'll see how well the mini holds up!

Did you go for the stainless or blued model? Mine is stainless/synthetic and I've shot it in outdoor ranges during freezing rain and snow storms in SW VA and never had so much as a hiccup. Best damned investment I ever made & set up as it is, cost half what my AR-type will once I pick up an optic. I don't understand the grief their rings/integral bases sometimes get as mine have held zero for almost twenty years and all I used was plumbers' Teflon tape on the bolt threads.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion

I went to Wallyworld today and got a new Mini-14 Ranch Rifle for $607.00. During this economy, I'm shocked something actually went Down in price.

As far as which rifle I'd own if I could just own one? If this Mini-14 is as good and reliable as my Ruger 10-22, I'd have to go with the Mini!

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I just traded my mini 14 for an AR. I def vote AR

I went the other way. I owned a Colt AR, but decided to sell it. Yesterday I opted to replace the AR with the Mini-14.

Regardless of which rifle we all think is the best built, most accurate, or the rifle with the least amount of jams? One thing is for sure.

They are fun to SHOOT!:party29:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have tried to find another carbine or rifle that beats an AR.

AK= Sights suck and mag changes are harder/ slower, accuracy is hohumm.
    Mini-14= Same as above
    Galil= Accuracy is so- so, and the sucker is heavy
    AUG= I like it, but the trigger sucks, accuracy is mediocre, mag changes are also slow.
    FS2000= Trigger sucks, it feels like you are pointing a fat Tuna downrange, accuracy sucks.
    PS90= Ok trigger, awesome ergonomics, 5.7 is a teacup chihuahua shooter round.Accuracy is hohumm.
    M1A= Awesome accuracy, heavy and cumbersome, overpowered round, the best open sights ever put on a battle rifle. Lugging one around is a workout in itself.
    FAL= Good accuracy, heavy and cumbersome, overpowered round, sights suck
    G3= Recoil is punishing, trigger sucks
    HK93= Mags are expensive, recoil sucks, muzzle flip , I hate the non- paddle mag release

AR15= affordable, modular, user serviceable, quick mag changes, awesome controls/ ergonomics, accurate, easy to shoot, great sights, reliable , easily customized.

This is probably why it is so prolific.. It is, what it is. Eugene Stoner is a friggin genious.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    I have tried to find another carbine or rifle that beats an AR.

AK= Sights suck and mag changes are harder/ slower, accuracy is hohumm.
    Mini-14= Same as above
    Galil= Accuracy is so- so, and the sucker is heavy
    AUG= I like it, but the trigger sucks, accuracy is mediocre, mag changes are also slow.
    FS2000= Trigger sucks, it feels like you are pointing a fat Tuna downrange, accuracy sucks.
    PS90= Ok trigger, awesome ergonomics, 5.7 is a teacup chihuahua shooter round.Accuracy is hohumm.
    M1A= Awesome accuracy, heavy and cumbersome, overpowered round, the best open sights ever put on a battle rifle. Lugging one around is a workout in itself.
    FAL= Good accuracy, heavy and cumbersome, overpowered round, sights suck
    G3= Recoil is punishing, trigger sucks
    HK93= Mags are expensive, recoil sucks, muzzle flip , I hate the non- paddle mag release

AR15= affordable, modular, user serviceable, quick mag changes, awesome controls/ ergonomics, accurate, easy to shoot, great sights, reliable , easily customized.

This is probably why it is so prolific.. It is, what it is. Eugene Stoner is a friggin genious.

You forgot: AR-15, I can buy 2 or 3 minis for the same price. They jamb like nobody's business, and are a bear to clean.

How is one peep sight any better than another, and if you can't hit it with a mini, then you need more practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom