• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    The mini-14, stainless and woody is a great back up .223/5.56 rifle. It is likely not as accurate as most AR type rifles, but it is much less obtrusive. It is also quite reliable, especially the later models with thicker barrels. Most of us already have ARs and the ammo to go with them, this is just another way of utilizing said ammo without looking "extra scary" while retaining similar capabilities. It would be great if it used Ar mags, but as a secondary rifle it does not need 20 mags. Just my 2 cents.

Yep. 6 magazines per rifle/pistol is all you need, for a combat load.

Who would carry 20 magazines for a rifle?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ

Because this is the People's Republic of Maryland and having so many 10+ capacity magazines is a way of figuratively sticking one's thumb in the government's eye. It's a silent protest against arbitrary government and stupid laws.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    The mini-14, stainless and woody is a great back up .223/5.56 rifle. It is likely not as accurate as most AR type rifles, but it is much less obtrusive. It is also quite reliable, especially the later models with thicker barrels. Most of us already have ARs and the ammo to go with them, this is just another way of utilizing said ammo without looking "extra scary" while retaining similar capabilities. It would be great if it used Ar mags, but as a secondary rifle it does not need 20 mags. Just my 2 cents.
    Spoken like a true Statist

th

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    Spoken like a true Statist

th

I did make the distinction as seeing the mini-14 as a back-up rifle to most people's AR. If it's your primary rifle you should have as many magazines as you want/can afford, but since it's a back-up there is not much sense in having the same amount of mags for it. That does not make me a Statist, just prudent with my money. I'll also second what willtill stated - 6 (30rd)mags in a combat load.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I did make the distinction as seeing the mini-14 as a back-up rifle to most people's AR. If it's your primary rifle you should have as many magazines as you want/can afford, but since it's a back-up there is not much sense in having the same amount of mags for it. That does not make me a Statist, just prudent with my money. I'll also second what willtill stated - 6 (30rd)mags in a combat load.
    I see your point.

I just bristle when I see the words "does not need". :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    A backup rifle to an AR-15 is another AR-15. I don't get it. Don't see how a Mini 14 is a backup to an AR.
    Now, if you want both, you can certainly own both and shoot both. Especially if you like wood stocked guns.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A backup rifle to an AR-15 is another AR-15. I don't get it. Don't see how a Mini 14 is a backup to an AR.
    Now, if you want both, you can certainly own both and shoot both. Especially if you like wood stocked guns.

Absotively! Why carry as a backup something that uses proprietary magazines different from your primary? At today's prices two AR or M4 carbines make economic as well as practical sense.

If one wants to keep a Mini-14 as a backup for his primary Mini that's ok as well. Still...the ubiquity of AR magazines in the marketplace as well as replacement parts makes it the better choice.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Maybe this is sacrilege, but I think Boyd’s makes a nice wood stock for an AR-15. Not sure, it might have been specific to Colt.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Local dealer here has a Colt AR15 Penn State Trooper turn in, he wants 800 for it... includes light. Is it a So so, good or great deal??? I'm not really a AR type but it might be time for me to jump.
    Beings the state owned it, it probably was taken well care of.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    When I said “backup rifle,” I meant in a negative political environment or in a situation where you want to appear less “tactical,” but retain the ability to utilize your 5.56 ammo stock. The mini looks like a standard hunting rifle to most non-gun people, so it’s less scary.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Local dealer here has a Colt AR15 Penn State Trooper turn in, he wants 800 for it... includes light. Is it a So so, good or great deal??? I'm not really a AR type but it might be time for me to jump.
    Beings the state owned it, it probably was taken well care of.

What model? AR6721 with a 16" barrel? A 20" HBAR target model? If it's in good shape, $800 is ok for used, would not say that was a great deal. Outside of Maryland, HBAR AR's are not all that popular. You can buy this new AR6721 for $840 plus fees.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/746485623

Beancounter

Jul 8, 2012
    I am sure that there are those among the members here, who have varying opinions on this subject. Why would a person want a Mini-14 over an AR?
    I will answer as I have both.

I like wood. I like wood stocks. I like the M1 type action. They are not the "evil black guns".

They escape notice. They are a lot more expensive.

Not as accurate as an AR at distance. I can't see at distance. Most people will never shoot at distance. My AR will strike at 500 yards. I've never shot at anything at that range.

I have the best of both world: I own both.

I want one of everything and two of some things.

Why own a car that can exceed the national maximum posted speed limit?

Because you can.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    I will answer as I have both.

I like wood. I like wood stocks. I like the M1 type action. They are not the "evil black guns".

They escape notice. They are a lot more expensive.

Not as accurate as an AR at distance. I can't see at distance. Most people will never shoot at distance. My AR will strike at 500 yards. I've never shot at anything at that range.

I have the best of both world: I own both.

I want one of everything and two of some things.

Why own a car that can exceed the national maximum posted speed limit?

Because you can.

:goodpost:

You said it a lot better than I did with multiple posts!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I acquired (out of state/brought in by me) a couple of proprietary 20 round magazines for my new mini-14. Could of picked up some 30 rounder's but I do not have need for those at this time.

Easier for me to operate the Mini-14 from the bench with the 20 round mag inserted; as opposed to a 30 round mag hanging out below it

The two 5 round magazines that came with it I guess could be useful; but for this semi-auto you just burn through 5 rounds too quickly.

So have her scoped, slinged and a reasonable supply of ammo to feed her. She's now one of the family :)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If Ruger would begin selling Minis that use generic AR magazines they might sell a lot more. Having a comparatively expensive and proprietary magazine in today's market limits the sales potential. Once the AR-10 type rifle makers standardized on the P-mag it made selling them easier.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    If Ruger would begin selling Minis that use generic AR magazines they might sell a lot more. Having a comparatively expensive and proprietary magazine in today's market limits the sales potential. Once the AR-10 type rifle makers standardized on the P-mag it made selling them easier.

CDNN has a pretty good sale on them right now. That's where I got them from....

https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html#manufacturer=RUGER®&caliber=223 REM/5.56 NATO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom