• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    From what i've found searching on here, this has been talked about in bits and pieces, but there was never a unified thread dedicated specifically to Mini-14 magazines (or my search kung-fu is weak). That being said, lets talk Mini-14 magazines. What works for you. What doesn't. This is a topic that has always frustrated the hell out of me.

In my experience:

Ruger 20 rnd: Never had a problem.

Precision Mag 20 rnd: Never had a problem.

ProMag 30 rnd: Consistent FTF issues, issues with positive engagement in magwell.

Tapco 30 rnd (old style): Works great until the plastic around the front retention stud hole wear out, then trash.

Tapco 30 rnd (new style with metal clip at front stud hole): Consistent FTF issues.

Whats your experience?

Factory mags = perfect ...
    Promag , I haven't had any issues with these , they seem to work very well ..
    Tapco , gen 1 & gen 2 work perfect for me as well ,,
    If you have any tapco mags that aren't working for you , I'd be willing to take them off your hands , I've got a few bran new ruger factory 20rd mags .

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have a bunch of those ProMag 20's NIB and as far as I can tell (my eyesight isn't the best) they are exactly the same as the Ruger mags. No? Maybe I am missing something.

I have had issues with the feed lips going out of whack with those . And the old USA brand mags the bodies would swell then everything would hang up in the mag after 5-10 rounds fired . the best thing to do was dump the live rounds loads them into a factory mag and then use the aftermarket mags for a target .

Same goes with 10/22 mags :thumbsup:

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    I'm not really concerned about multi-platform compatibility. AR mags are for AR's. Mini-14 mags are for Mini-14's. I don't expect more than that.

My three concerns are:

1. Multiple failure to feeds at the range is embarrassing at a minimum.
    2. If I ever do need to use my Mini in an emergency, I need to know it will go bang every time I pull the trigger.
    3. Price point.

I know the obvious solution is "only use Ruger mags".....but, like, really???

I feel that if I started a company making aftermarket mag's that actually are reliable in Ruger platforms (Mini's, 10/22's, etc), I could probably retire in a year, lol.

Not trying to knock Ruger....I own several and am overall happy with their quality.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I only buy the Ruger mags. I order them from Ruger.com. Being in crappy Maryland I get the 20 rounders, delivered to my door. Never had one issue with them, certainly cannot say the same for the ProMags (does not seem the correct name for such a poor quality product). I cannot leave the Promags loaded or have more than 20 rounds in the 30 round capacity mags. I too, wish Magpul built Mini mags but wonder if the latch up required would work with their plastic mags. Save yourself a headache and just buy the Ruger brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom