• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Thought I would write up a short review on my Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 Holster:

I have been looking for a long time for a holster that would compliment my Springfield TRP 1911 45 ACP. While surfing Ebay one evening, I came across a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 in Cordovan which is basically a reddish/brown hue. Of course I had heard of Milt Sparks quality and workmanship, but never owned one, so I jumped at the chance to purchase one.

The VM2 is an Inside the Waistband (IWB) holster of the highest quality and construction. It is designed to fit the full size 1911 and the molding is perfect. The opening is reinforced with a steel wire that allows quick and hassle free one hand re-holstering unlike so many other leather IWB holsters. Quite frankly it rivals my favorite IWB, Crossbreed, which actually has molded kydex. Retention comes from the accurate mold and of course a good quality gun belt. I personally do not like retention devices, such as thumb breaks, for carry weapons. The belt loops are approx. 1" wide with heavy duty snaps and fit my Wilderness Tactical belt just fine.

VM2 is not adjustable for cant and is designed with an FBI forward cant which tends to work quite well for the 1911 design as it brings the "toe" of the grip up higher and does not let it protrude to the rear and "print" on your clothing.

I have had this holster for probably 8 months now and have let it sit in my "box o' holsters" all that time. About 2 weeks ago I dug it out and decided to give it a try as I wear 1911's quite frequently. I have worn it almost everyday since then and can tell you it is no longer in my "box o' holsters" but is now out on my nightstand where I'll be using much more. Even with a 1911, "printing" is almost non-existent even with just a draped t-shirt. Most folks who know me know I don't get too freaked out about printing even in Maryland, but this holster does a very nice job of pulling in the grip next to the body.

This holster is not cheap. To but one directly from Milt Sparks you are looking at $120+ and the kicker is you will be waiting for well over 6 months as they have a huge backorder. Also, they only take so many new orders per month. To buy one already "in stock" from a seller, expect to pay a premium over the list price.

Will this holster replace my Crossbreed? NO. I am still a Crossbreed devotee and have them for my carry guns including my 1911's. In fact, I'll be ordering another for a new Glock I just bought. However, the quality, workmanship and just good feeling you get from a leather holster will certainly earn a spot on my hip for the VM2.

Bryan Fletcher
    Mid-Atlantic Firearms Training

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    miltsparks.jpg

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Yea, it's almost a shame to wear it with a pair of jeans. More at home with a suit.

Bryan

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Cost, I like Kydex for a extrememly smooth draw, totally adjustable for cant and depth, and I like horsehide leather which is an option on the CB. Also, just a bit easier to put on with the steel spring clips rather than the leather straps and buckles.

Again, some of it is all in what you get used to.

Bryan

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    FYI, you may have known this, but horsehide is an option with the VM2, and actually, all are 1/2 horsehide (side to the body).

I will probably try a Crossbreed or the virtually identical competitor (can't remember the name... MTAC or something?) one day. I heard Kydex will wear a pistol faster, but if I get a Glock or M&P, I won't worry about that.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Yes, the VM2 has horse leather. The one downside, if you want to call it that with the CB, is that you really need a good gun belt and cinch it up to provide decent retention. You can also heat the kydex at the point of the trigger guard detent and push it in some more for better retention.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I own three MS VMII'S in cordovan as well. One for my Glocks, one for my 1911's and one for my Smith 10xx pistols. As stated the fit and finish is unbelievable. The price is in line with other custom made leather holsters IMO. I got the optional clips so they can be tucked like the CB

I tend to use them for dressier occasions and if I'm outside, the CBST. I have a Tucker The Answer and a Theis hybrid as well.

I did wait 26 weeks for each one directly from MS. IMO worth every dime. I got mag carriers as well.

Guess I'M a holster ho.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Kydex is much faster then leather. It's also much less comfortable. So best of both worlds is a kydex holster with leather backing a la CB or MTAC.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    IMO, the VM II is more comfortable than my hybrid holsters and I have a ton of both

I'm not quite there yet, but I can see the VM2 being more comfortable than the CB over time. I've just worn more CB's so much that they have conformed to my shape perfectly and I really don't even notice them anymore.

Either way, it's a high quality, well built holster that I'm sure will serve me a lifetime.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I like it. I carry my 1911 in it. It is smaller than the others but still comfortable. I bought it because Tucker will line the holster with soft leather for 15 bucks extra.

The workmanship is first rate and Rob at Tucker is excellent to deal with,

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Swin, I noticed The Answer with the lining has stitching that looks like it might wear on the gun. I was noticing this in some guys photos showing the insides of his holster. Does yours have that, and is it smooth or rough enough to cause wear?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Mine is lined. I see no wear on my Kimber, and it's black finish isn't that rugged IMO. I like it.

Ill try to post some pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom