• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    I'm interested in the H&K Mk23, but just learned that the one I can get as a civilian isn't exactly the same as what the military gets. It appears the differences are small, but I have do have questions.

Wikipedia—that infallible source of all that is true on the Internet—has this to say:

According to the Operators Manual, there are few differences between the civilian Mark 23 and the government MK23. These differences are the slide engraving ("Mark 23" or "MARK 23" instead of "MK23 USSOCOM") and a barrel conforming to SAAMI headspace specifications.

The slide engraving has no practical significance, but I do not understand the other difference mentioned. What does it mean to have SAAMI headspace specs? What, if any, is the practical significance of this difference—meaning does it change any aspect of the way the gun shoots, and is so, how?

Additional questions: Is the Mark 23 legal to buy and own in MD, is it on that MSP list of approved handguns I've read about elsewhere on this site? Is it legal for a civilian to buy/own the government version of the Mk23, or is it possible to buy the slide and barrel to convert the civilian version into the government version?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I'm pretty sure USSOCOM has stopped using the Mk23 in favor of other side arms such as the USP compact. While the Mk23 is pretty kewl looking and very accurate, it is also ridiculously large and very unwieldy with the suppressor attached.

I still want one. :-)

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I do have one and do enjoy it very much. My understanding is the SOCOM barrel was made to withstand thousands of rounds of +P ammo (20k or so). I've run +P ammo, 185 & 230gr without any issues. Although it is large and unweildly, remember it was built as an offensive handgun. If you can find one for 1800-1900, I wouldn't hesitate on grabbing it. And believe it or not, my wife enjoyed shooting it so much, she ended up buying a USP Tactical. I did as well but only because I wanted one anyway. I hope this helped.

AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    I do have one and do enjoy it very much. My understanding is the SOCOM barrel was made to withstand thousands of rounds of +P ammo (20k or so). I've run +P ammo, 185 & 230gr without any issues. Although it is large and unweildly, remember it was built as an offensive handgun. If you can find one for 1800-1900, I wouldn't hesitate on grabbing it. And believe it or not, my wife enjoyed shooting it so much, she ended up buying a USP Tactical. I did as well but only because I wanted one anyway. I hope this helped.

http://crosscreekguns.com/MK23.html $1839 shipped. I've seen used ones on gunsamerica.com for more than that.

So you're saying that the government version's barrel is designed with more powerful ammo in mind, but in your experience the civilian version can handle the same ammo just fine...am I understanding you correctly?

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    http://crosscreekguns.com/MK23.html $1839 shipped. I've seen used ones on gunsamerica.com for more than that.

So you're saying that the government version's barrel is designed with more powerful ammo in mind, but in your experience the civilian version can handle the same ammo just fine...am I understanding you correctly?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. But I'm not the expert. To be sure, I would suggest calling them. But yes, I have fired the +P without any issues. My understanding was that SOCOM wanted to use the higher pressure ammo almost exclusively so the SAMMI spec barrel was made for that. I would suppose that us civilian shooters wouldn't be expected to use it that hard. But other than what you mentioned, it is pretty much the same thing. I do know that SOCOM recently adopted the HK 45 Compact Tactical as the MK24. If I wasn't in the process of moving, I would be searching for one of those as well. But I seriously think you would not be disappointed in the Mark23 if you actually know what you're buying. Again, I hope that I was able to help.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have one as well . It is big but I have big hands so it sits fine for me , all it is is a range toy but its a damned fun range toy and very accurate . As far as I know the only difference is the markings and the limited run they did of tan ones which I have . Mags are expensive around $65 if I recall .

Attachments

• hk mk23.JPG
      hk mk23.JPG
      139.1 KB · Views: 3,041
    • hk1.jpg
      hk1.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 3,280

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have one as well . It is big but I have big hands so it sits fine for me , all it is is a range toy but its a damned fun range toy and very accurate . As far as I know the only difference is the markings and the limited run they did of tan ones which I have . Mags are expensive around $65 if I recall .

Wow... I came REALLY close to buying one just like it from Bart's Sporting Goods.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Rj, where did you find the tan? I couldn't find one to save my life. That's freakin nice. You are correct that they are very accurate and also that mags are somewhat expensive. I picked up a spare mag last year at the york gun show for $60. Again, very impressive Rj.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Rj, where did you find the tan? I couldn't find one to save my life. That's freakin nice. You are correct that they are very accurate and also that mags are somewhat expensive. I picked up a spare mag last year at the york gun show for $60. Again, very impressive Rj.

I found it at On Target a few years back , it was in on consignment unfired so I got to break it in :D . I have yet to see another tan one around for sale but they didn't make many of them . I look on Gun Broker now and then have not seen any there either .

And Thank You .

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Rj, you are very welcome. I do know there was a limited run and have done the same thing checking gb. I think you have one hell of a piece. AZ, I certainly wouldn't hesitate if you can find one in the price range I mentioned earlier. Especially if it is one of those limited edition ones like Rj has. But in all honesty, my personal opinion is that the differences you found are really minor for what we as civilian shooters will use it for. Sorry if that came off as ignorant. Didn't mean it to be. Regardless of the differences, the civilian version is a very nice piece of plastic and steel. One last thing I can remember is that I had read that HK was supposed to have discontinued production a year or two ago. I could be wrong as I found that on an internet thread sometime back. Who knows, maybe it's a publicity stunt to drive up prices. After tax and fees, I was at $2k and that was '09.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I almost got one of these WITH the KAC suppressor... but the cost was high... way too high... :innocent0

This is one of those things that once I have everything I really want on my current list... I may get down the road. In Army ROTC I did a report on the Mk23 (we had to pick ANY TOPIC relating to the Army...) and I got the only 100% in the class. It is truly the "Offensive Handgun Weapon System" designed specifically for SOCOM. I can only be satisfied if I get the full kit though... including the KAC suppressor and LAM...

Then I need to start calling my best friend Otacon lol.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I own a Mark 23 as well as USP Tactical. The Mark 23 is a super cool pistol, very accurate, and a real conversation piece. Due to the size, the USP is much more comfortable to shoot. Do like I did and buy both, then ad suppressors.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have a slight admiration for Hk's as well. The USP 45 Expert is my favorite, it's hard to tell from the picture but it is also a large hand gun; came really close to buying an Elite.

9412d1ad.jpg

AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    I own a Mark 23 as well as USP Tactical. The Mark 23 is a super cool pistol, very accurate, and a real conversation piece. Due to the size, the USP is much more comfortable to shoot. Do like I did and buy both, then ad suppressors.

How does one get a suppressor? I mean what is the purchasing process?

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    The plot thickens..... :evilgrin3

Anyone have the LAM?

Yeah right. Haven't seen one since earlier this year on calguns. This should be interesting. The weapon is cool on its own, but the fun starts with the accessories. Da:sad20:mn gun!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You must want one of these for nostalgia. I was talking to my ST5 buddy about them. He says they have them just because, but they don't use them. After all, look at this f ing thing. Totally unpractical. Funny the folks who fell for these things.

Attachments

• Matt.jpg
      Matt.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 1,526

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads