• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjdreams

Dave
    Nov 28, 2008
    Rosedale
    What is the best way to remove the Crimp?
    Should I use something like the RCBS Trim Mate Military Crimp Remover or
    Should I use something like the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager?
    What do you recommend and Why?

If it makes a difference the brass in question is Once fired Lake City 223 with the military Crimp and I am planing on using CCI # 41 primers

I'm already setup to load 9mm. I have a RCBS turret press and their case prep center. I just need to get some 223 dies
    Speaking of which any recommendations on 223 dies?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Dillon swage tool. the thing has processed THOUSANDS of rounds of 9mm, .223, .30-06 (literally tens of thousands, as most of the estimated 50k rounds out of the Ramo 1919 were handloads) and is soon to chew on .308 for the MG42. The tool is unbreakable and unbeatable.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I use the same RCBS deburring tool that I use for case necks, two or three turns by hand cuts the crimp ridge right off without taking off much metal. Most of the brass I use is commercial, with only range pickups and some LC XM193 from a couple cases I had having the crimp. For higher volume the Dillon tool is awesome as 4G64 said.

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    I just bought a set of the 223 X-Dies from RCBS. Supposed to eliminate the need for trimming. They look nice, but haven't used them yet.

jorjohn11

Feb 26, 2006
    Anne Arundel County
    I shot some blue box Blackhills, which are reloads, and while I was processing the brass I noticed that they had used a countersink to remove the crimp. In the last couple of weeks I've been reloading about 800 rounds each of 223 and 30-06 greek HXP and I used a countersink chucked up in a drill press. I wear nitrile gloves and grab about 10 at a time. I don't cut them as deep as some of the Blackhills ammo was cut though. I did about 500 rounds an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom