• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 8, 2013
    I'm active duty .mil and I PCS'd to MD last summer. *I am not a resident of MD and I will not become a resident of MD.

I brought with me hand guns and soon to be banned rifles. *They are not registered since it was not a requirement when I moved here.

I can't figure this out from reading the bill or what I've followed on the board here.

I already live in MD and my firearms are already here. *They are not required to be registered. *The bill says nothing about registering firearms that are already here legally but not registered with the state. *

I read it as I don't have to register them since they are already here legally.

Thoughts? *It looks like a loophole to me, though it will only apply to a very small number of people who move/moved here before 1OCT and brought hand guns and ARs/AKs/etc. with them.

Thanks
    AH

ETA: Any idea why it added all the * in the text?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You do not have to register anything, today, tomorrow or after October 1.

It's that simple.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Keep your AK driver license (and address) so you can buy stuff at home. Orders and .mil ID for here. Don't register shit. IANAL.

Since I have changed my ID for a blue one, it's time for me to escape while I still can...

Jan 8, 2013
    Keep your AK driver license (and address) so you can buy stuff at home. Orders and .mil ID for here. Don't register shit. IANAL.

Since I have changed my ID for a blue one, it's time for me to escape while I still can...

No worries there...never giving it up or my house there. Going back for good as soon as I can :D

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Yeah, as long as you buy back home, you don't have to worry about MD registration here.

If you buy here, you treat it as if you're a resident of this state, so you'll have to go through the whole crap.

Reaux

Apr 22, 2013
    Hagerstown , Maryland
    yes i am currently in the military and live here as a resident but as for you seance you are allowed to keep a separate home of address you are fine with what you buy at home and what you currently have you also can buy guns in the state if you so choose just need to bring your orders showing that you PCS here and you can get it just have to follow any regulations that the state u purchase the weapon follows.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Yeah, as long as you buy back home, you don't have to worry about MD registration here.

If you buy here, you treat it as if you're a resident of this state, so you'll have to go through the whole crap.

Not the "whole crap", if he buys a handgun before Oct.1 and he's military, so see bold below...(taken from the MSI flyer http://bluehats.org/share/SafetyActFAQ.pdf )

To purchase, rent, or receive a new handgun after
    October 1, 2013, you must have a Handgun
    Qualification License (HQL). To obtain the HQL,
    you must do the following:
    • Fill out the HQL application
    • Obtain Live-Scan digital fingerprints
    • Obtain a background check
    • Take a training course
    • Submit the application to the M.S.P.
    You do not have to take the training course if you
    meet one of the following training exemptions:
    • You legally possess any regulated firearm prior to
    October 1, 2013
    You are active or retired military
    • You are active or retired law enforcement

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Not the "whole crap", if he buys a handgun before Oct.1 and he's military, so see bold below...(taken from the MSI flyer http://bluehats.org/share/SafetyActFAQ.pdf )

To purchase, rent, or receive a new handgun after
    October 1, 2013, you must have a Handgun
    Qualification License (HQL). To obtain the HQL,
    you must do the following:
    • Fill out the HQL application
    • Obtain Live-Scan digital fingerprints
    • Obtain a background check
    • Take a training course
    • Submit the application to the M.S.P.
    You do not have to take the training course if you
    meet one of the following training exemptions:
    • You legally possess any regulated firearm prior to
    October 1, 2013
    You are active or retired military
    • You are active or retired law enforcement

You're right, no need to train, like now, but all that other crap really is all the crap. Training isn't crap.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    I think it would be prudent to also have proof that each firearm was acquired and brought into MD before 1OCT.

If you're paranoid, yes. Burden of proof comes to mind, however. As long as you don't do anything illegal with your guns, I can't imagine you'll have to prove they were bought before 1 October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom