• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    [THAT is Midway's FREE SHIPPING !!!!:lol:=Archeryrob;6252228]I have always loved Midway and Larry Potter, but lately since this fiasco this year I am starting to have a hard time trying to settle for their prices. I bought 30-30 dies from them as I got a product notification and just bought them as I trusted Midway. Like I used to trust Cabelas, even though I knew they were high a lot, but Like cabelas Brands I trusted them. I can't anymore after BPS bought them.

So anyways, I did am impluse buy on the 30-30 dies as they were in and they had the M die too, so I ordered them. As I started looking for 30.06 dies I started noticing prices and that Midway was significantly higher than everyone. I was looking at the Lee Ultimate dies and below is a comparison. I see this with everything on their site any more, Dies, powder, and tools.

All 30% higher than other stores now. $65.99/50.49 = 1.30 difference in price. So Obviously Mid south is making a profit and so is Natchez and Titan at a lower price point. Midway is making a profit at the same cost and selling for 30% higher than the other stores.

Lee 90736 Ultimate 4-Die Set
    Midway $65.99 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011184659?pid=993744
    Mid-south shooter supply $50.49 https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690736/3006-ultimate-rifle-die-set
    Natchez $47.99 https://www.natchezss.com/lee-ultimate-rifle-die-set-30-06-sprg.html
    Titan Reloading $47.99 https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-3006-ultimate-rifle-4-die-set?search=90736

I am waiting for this mold to be back in stock, Lyman 311041
    Midway $96.99 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010218899?pid=128710
    Mid-south $74.33 https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....llet-mould-number-311041-30-caliber-173-grain

I think I am adding Larry and company to the gougers I will not do business with any further.
    [/QUOTE]

All these prices you are quoting are for items not in stock, no backorder. When they do come in at any of these places, it probably won't be at the price you see listed.

Anybody can list any price they want if the item isn't in stock. Hell, Targetsportsusa still has brass case 45acp listed at $11.99/50, but I bet it won't be that price when they get some in. And they haven't had it in stock for over a year.

Do you research BEFORE you buy anything anywhere, not after. Only pay what you are willing to pay AND be happy once you have done so. But be careful writing off solid reputable companies because of times like this. Midway isn't perfect, no company is. But they are one of the best.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    I agree, I've stopped buying anything gun related, it's all way over priced. Once enough of us stop buying it will come down in price. Right now is not the time to buy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Midway, like all others, is going to get whatever the market will bear. They are increasing the profit %.
    If your company works on a 50% gross, then you sell for exactly double your cost...thats a 50% gross margin.
    So if my cost goes up $1, the selling price goes up $2.
    I'm still at a 50% gross.
    I'm sure Midways cost has risen and so the selling values, but I'm also sure they are increasing their profit margin from 50% to maybe 60%.

Midway is still my #1 due to stock and assortment.
    Their no worse than anyone else during these times other than possibly Cheaper Than Gold. Those guys blatantly rip people off.

FYI, I don't know of a single business that runs at 50% profit. If you know of one, let me know, so I can start one.

Cost of product may be 50% of price, but that is NOT 50% profit. There are a LOT of costs. From space, to electricity, to website, to telephone, to packing materials, to payroll for employees, to payroll taxes, etc. etc., ec....

Small businesses run at 10% or so actual profit (money in the pocked).

Large ones run at lower %, but higher dollar amount due volume.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    37 years as an executive in major retailing. I know how to spot things that are only seen by experience. I don't need to pull anything out of my ads, so K.M.A.

And your company ran a 50% profit margin?

Selling what?

Hookers?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    FYI, I don't know of a single business that runs at 50% profit. If you know of one, let me know, so I can start one.

Cost of product may be 50% of price, but that is NOT 50% profit. There are a LOT of costs. From space, to electricity, to website, to telephone, to packing materials, to payroll for employees, to payroll taxes, etc. etc., ec....

Small businesses run at 10% or so actual profit (money in the pocked).

Large ones run at lower %, but higher dollar amount due volume.

He is talking about gross margins. I worked for a company that sold their products at 80% gross margins, why because they could. They were the best in their field and they owned 75% of the market.

Profit is what you want to pay taxes on. Yes, I said "want" to pay taxes on.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    He is talking about gross margins. I worked for a company that sold their products at 80% gross margins, why because they could. They were the best in their field and they owned 75% of the market.

Profit is what you want to pay taxes on. Yes, I said "want" to pay taxes on.

I understand what you are saying.

He said PROFITS.

And 80% gross margins are a bit much, 50% could be marginal to make any profit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What’s wrong with 80% gross margins if the market bears it? The person had a product or service, had 75% of the market. So the value of the company must of had a worthwhile product.

Most companies range closer to 20-40% gross margins depending on the product. Of course there are some a lot higher margins than that, but not many. Restaurants and beverages comes to mind...

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Most companies range closer to 20-40% gross margins depending on the product. Of course there are some a lot higher margins than that, but not many. Restaurants and beverages comes to mind...

Fireworks... at 100% gross margin, they act like they are losing money. :lol2:

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    Thank the gougers and scalpers for the price increase. Midway is not the only online merchant doing that. If I were an online merchant I would raise the prices to what the scalpers are getting also. As a merchant why should I sell at regular retail, watch the scalpers sell it for 3-7 times the value...and not pay taxes, overhead, insurance...etc..

Because it drives off the long term loyal customers who are repeat buyers. That's why, it's not rocket science, only monopolistic companies and markets are wary of gouging.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Because it drives off the long term loyal customers who are repeat buyers. That's why, it's not rocket science, only monopolistic companies and markets are wary of gouging.

That’s not necessarily true driving off loyal customers. The buyers only considering bottom line maybe. If buyers purchase from a scalper, there is no guarantee of authenticity, warranty or anything else. Plus it disturbs the distribution chain. Buy from a merchant at a similar inflated price and one gets the warranty, etc., the profit made gets taxed, takes the incentives away from the scalpers, and keeps ammo on the shelves. To be effective everyone would need to do it to drive the prices down more.

Watch the prices of gasoline. All the companies follow each other up and down. The ammo suppliers, at all levels, learned from the last frenzy and are adjusting their prices. You can see it happening now. Overall supply will dictate further trends.

Texas solo

Mar 5, 2021

He said PROFITS.

50% gross is marginal. Out of that 50%, you have to subtract rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, payroll, etc etc etc.
    What you're left with may be only 10 to 15%. If you have a poor sales month/year, you'll lose money.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    50% gross is marginal. Out of that 50%, you have to subtract rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, payroll, etc etc etc.
    What you're left with may be only 10 to 15%. If you have a poor sales month/year, you'll lose money.

Did you read the thread??????

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

He said PROFITS.

If you are the best and most desired in your industry then 80% gross margins are not out of the ordinary and not "a bit much" in the least. The gross margins support continued development of products and experimenting with new technologies. The profits for the company usually ran about 10%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom