• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Hi fellas just wanted to share i bought my first 1911 today, and i was debating between taurus which initially i liked a lot, the rock island and the metro arms, after checking them all and discarding the taurus out of the list... and that was just because i found same options in the american classic or the ria for $100 less.

Finally choose the Metro arms over the rock island because of better sights and extended safety and skeletonized hammer, trigger i got it for $514 plus taxes so im not expecting the best 1911 just something to have the feel of it, hopefully it last but for now im very happy, so far feels and looks great.

I will be posting pics as soon as i get it. Just 8 days.... :-)

Btw does anybody have any experience with metroarms american classic 2???

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I have two, along with a Rock Island. The Metro's are a tad better, in my opinion, in fit and finish, though I love my RIA. Both have been flawless, from FP's, HP's, and FMJ RN.

Congrats on the new gun, you chose wisely. :thumbsup:

MH

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    Hmm, I thought RIA and Metro were sourced from the same contract manufacturer in the Philippines?

Although I've been leaning towards the RIA 2011 and oogling over the S.T.I. ish clone they produce, I look forward to the range review.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Best 1911 for the price IMO. GREAT Choice.

+1, I recommended one to a buddy of mine as his first 1911 and he's had no problems.

The ONLY issue I ever saw with one was a pistol sold with an out-of-spec disconnector that was causing hammer follow (to half-cock). The customer caught it, I e-mailed Metro Arms and they apologized and offered to repair it, but the cost of a new Nowlin disconnector (which fixed the problem) was less.

I think the finish on these guns is actually one of the best in the industry. I actually like the laser-engraved billboard and the polished/blued finish is hard to find these days. :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    +1, I recommended one to a buddy of mine as his first 1911 and he's had no problems.

The ONLY issue I ever saw with one was a pistol sold with an out-of-spec disconnector that was causing hammer follow (to half-cock). The customer caught it, I e-mailed Metro Arms and they apologized and offered to repair it, but the cost of a new Nowlin disconnector (which fixed the problem) was less.

I think the finish on these guns is actually one of the best in the industry. I actually like the laser-engraved billboard and the polished/blued finish is hard to find these days. :thumbsup:

AGreed.

I did see one for a problem the other day. The Chambers are cut to match specs and it wouldnt allow the gun to chamber Remington 230 Grain Hollow Points. They didnt seat far enopugh top allow the slide to go into battery, the round actually stuck up .032 past the barrel hood when seated. It was bad ammo. Other Hollow points load just fine.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Winchester 230gr Ball, I've had a few where the cases were OOS, too long, something else people may want to keep in mind. Caught that before someone tried to force it into battery and fire the round.

I'll have to keep Metro on the list if I'm looking for a 1911 in the future.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Hmm, I thought RIA and Metro were sourced from the same contract manufacturer in the Philippines?

Although I've been leaning towards the RIA 2011 and oogling over the S.T.I. ish clone they produce, I look forward to the range review.

Nope, two separate companies, but from what I've been told, they are almost across the street from one another. Don't know how true that is, but I've heard it from many sources, and read it a few times in articles.

MH

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    My two American Classic II's

DSCN0309.jpg

DSCN0312.jpg

MH

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Wow nice guns, I went for the blued one for now, I bought mine in ON TARGET in Severn, is my second purchase there, first was my xdm 4.5 9mm and the guys there have respond to all my questions and took the time to show me every gun I asked to see.

Going back to the American classic I was afraid that for the price was crap but I'm glad you guys state that are good or at least decent guns. I can't wait for next Monday to pick it up!!!

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    Appears they have some STI clones as well. MAC 2011 and 3011. I could go without the gaudy MAC engraving on the slide though.

mac-2011.jpg

mac-3011.jpg

MAC-2011-CHROME.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Those are very nice, sir.
    I'm surprised at the general tolerance continuity, finish, and crisp tooling on a sub $600 factory mass run 1911. Did you have any work done on it?

They appear factory besides the grips and grip screws. A.C.'s are fantastic budget 1911's.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Those are very nice, sir.
    I'm surprised at the general tolerance continuity, finish, and crisp tooling on a sub $600 factory mass run 1911. Did you have any work done on it?

Thank you. :)

No, no work at all, except that I replaced the grips. On the blued one I put Hogue rubber grips, just a bit thinner that I like, but they work well. On the chromed one I have VZ Operators II, and VZ's custom screws. The VZ's fit great, and the grip is not as aggressive on my hand as they may appear. I may have lightly polished the ramps, I do that to most of my pistols. I don't recall if I did to these or not, but I probably did.

MH

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I've been looking for a blued ACII Commander for quite some time. I figure it'd make for a nice place to start for a beater carry gun.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Hmmmm really strange that this thread pops up now....

I just consigned an Am. Classic II for sale at the GUN Connection. Like new, has been a safe queen for some time. With 3 1911s one had to go, to make room for a Revolver.

Check with Gun connection for info...

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom