Merryland's "Lawmakers"are trying to tax Guns & Ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tarponbeach

MDS Supporter
    Jun 28, 2023
    Towson, Maryland
    State lawmakers in search of money for Maryland’s network of trauma hospitals may connect cause and effect — taxing firearms dealers on the guns, firearm accessories and bullets they sell.

Maryland is one of a handful of states with pending legislation that would draw funds from gun industry revenue, mirroring an 11% excise tax on firearms and ammunition California passed last year.

Unfortunately, what the Rocket Scientists in Annapolis don't understand, is that most of the injuries caused by gun violence are due to Ghost Guns, and unregistered guns.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    State lawmakers in search of money for Maryland’s network of trauma hospitals may connect cause and effect — taxing firearms dealers on the guns, firearm accessories and bullets they sell.

Maryland is one of a handful of states with pending legislation that would draw funds from gun industry revenue, mirroring an 11% excise tax on firearms and ammunition California passed last year.

Unfortunately, what the Rocket Scientists in Annapolis don't understand, is that most of the injuries caused by gun violence are due to Ghost Guns, and unregistered guns.
    Comprehensive Community Safety Funding Act (SB 784)

Covered in this thread as well:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It's like that, see?

Thank you. OP please don’t buy into the ghost gun or unregistered gun BS because that’s exactly what it is. BULLSH*T.
    There are millions of guns in US that have no serial number that are owned LEGALLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is already being discussed here: https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/ammo-gun-tax-proposal.281260/

Why do we need a duplicate thread?

I call BS unless you can provide a cite from a reliable source that isn't run by a gun grabbing group.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Serial numbers, registered means very little because that information is of no use once stolen, except who it was stolen from.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    SCOTUS rulings say you can't single out a right and subject it to a special tax. For example a Poll Tax or a tax on Printers Ink.

rcreynolds

Nov 4, 2015
    This is just the left finding a new way to pee in the shooting communities cornflakes. If they really wanted to make a difference then they'd raise liquor taxes (alcohol fuels 30% of gun violence) and actually do something about drugs. I'm not surprised by Wes Moore, just disappointed. I think he's a typical leftie mimicking California and possesses little original thoughts of his own.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Utterly false assumptions.

A- There is no such thing as 'gun violence.'

B- In 90% + of deaths and injuries from Gun Shot Wounds in MD, the firearm used is NOT recovered / found/ discovered at the crime scene.

Rifles and shotguns are UNREGISTERED, along with millions of handguns bought before the 77R process was digitized. Handguns bought outside of MD were never 'registered' at the point of sale.

C- "Registration" never solves a murder, rape, or robbery.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This is just the left finding a new way to pee in the shooting communities cornflakes. If they really wanted to make a difference then they'd raise liquor taxes (alcohol fuels 30% of gun violence) and actually do something about drugs. I'm not surprised by Wes Moore, just disappointed. I think he's a typical leftie mimicking California and possesses little original thoughts of his own.
    My opinion of him is even lower. He's an empty suit who doesn't believe much of what he says. He says things just because, not because he believes them.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    My opinion of him is even lower. He's an empty suit who doesn't believe much of what he says. He says things just because, not because he believes them.
    B-but, he's black! And handsome! And he wear's a suit well! And he's black!

I.e., everything the Ds want in a leader. They're ginning up Governor Newsom, too. He's not black, but he's got good hair. Almost equivalent.

rcreynolds

Nov 4, 2015
    B-but, he's black! And handsome! And he wear's a suit well! And he's black!

I.e., everything the Ds want in a leader. They're ginning up Governor Newsom, too. He's not black, but he's got good hair. Almost equivalent.
    Gavin Newscum said 2A is a death pact and the NRA is a trash organization. He thinks the same of NRA members. Newsom is in the liquor selling business (owns a winery) and like MD, the Cal liquor tax is less than his tax on guns. Gavin Newsom sells a product that fuels gun violence. This makes him complicit.

They're not trying. They're going to. Guaranteed. And it's completely punitive. They have to know that people will simply go out of state to purchase their long guns and ammunition and order their handguns from an out-of-state dealer and have them delivered to an FFL.

Ultimately it will reduce their revenue not increase it and the only people that it will really hurt are the local gun stores. Maybe that's what their goal is to close down as many gun shops as possible.

If you're just in need of a box or two of ammunition it probably wouldn't be worth it to go across the border to buy them elsewhere unless you lived close to the state line but 11% on a $600 handgun or an $800 rifle is a substantial amount of money. I just assume go into Southern Pennsylvania or Northern Virginia or even West Virginia and buy my long gun there or even better in Delaware where there's no sales tax.

Unless they're going to try to collect that 11% on top of the transfer fee You can have your pistols shipped in from anywhere and avoid the tax.

They understand it just fine. This is completely punitive. Just a bunch of anti-gun Nazis who stay up late at night trying to figure out how to fu*k Maryland gun owners over once again. They're going to find out the hard way that the revenue is actually going to drop when people leave the state to go make the purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom