• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey guys,

Where would be a good place for some guys to go camping/hiking for some "Man Vs Wild" action?

Not a camp site, but more real world outdoorsman stuff. Where we can build shelters, make fire and all that good man stuff, without breaking any laws etc etc.

Somewhere that we could take rifles/ARs for some target shooting would be awesome.

Although somewhere with peace of mind, that we can leave cars/trucks in safety, while we go off camping for a few days.

Even one of the surrounding States could be an option, but I don't plan on a huge road trip to get there.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Dolly Sods

Dolly Sods is protected.

Camping allowed but leave no trace and definitely no cutting down of trees and vegetation for shelters.

Now as for the rest of Monongahela NF or George Washington then check with US Forest Service.

Maryland has some WMAs that should meet your needs, maybe check with our members out in Deep Creek Lake country.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    ad432c6d-7195-8a17.jpg

Is this what you wanna do? You can tell us we wont judge you.Depending how far you go you might break some laws.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    ARs Are allowed...on the range. Don't get caught with them on your deep woods backcountry camping,man VS. wild, survival trip. I would say do one or the other. Unless your going to a range,shoot and then go hike in and leave your guns in the car. Not a good idea!! There are places in Md. to backcountry camp,Garret State forest, Big savage Mt. and Green ridge to name a few. Most places you'll need a backcountry permit. The Appalachian trail can get crowded and you are not allowed to camp where ever you want. Youtube Dolly sods, I'll be going there in about a week.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    We may swap ARs for beer instead on this trip :D

So can we go "wild" so to speak at Green Ridge.. Making our own fires and shelters etc etc?

I would think we can gather "some" wood, but is chopping branches allowed?

And just to verify my beer comment above LOL, what's the law on camping with alcohol/open container?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Dolly Sods, while a great place to backpack, isn't one of those places you can offroad or just go wandering around with your AR's set up targets and begin blasting. I't s a National Wilderness. I've hiked all the trails on the north end and many on the south and I love the place. Campsites abound and the western edge overlooks Canaan Valley. It's a great place to watch the sunset.

Edit,
    you can gather wood and build fires at DS. if you have a CCW, you can also carry there. I prefer it to Green Ridge although it's a further drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom