• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I was reading through several of the threads about medical training so I figured Id do a google search and check out some of the volunteer fire departments and found this:

http://www.mfri.org/

I thought it was interesting and would pass it on. They provide the training for fire departments in MD and the training is free if you are a member of one of the departments. I know a lot of areas are volunteer fire depts and maybe this is an option for those that want to get basic medical responder training?

Didn't dive to deep but thought it was interesting.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Yep. If you join a volunteer fire co you can get any of this training completely free, with relatively little time dedicated to volunteering.

IMO, EMT and EMR class covers A LOT of bullsh*t you don't need to know if you just want info for good first aid. IMO they also don't teach the same level of trauma medicine as some "tactical" courses might.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Yep. If you join a volunteer fire co you can get any of this training completely free, with relatively little time dedicated to volunteering.

IMO, EMT and EMR class covers A LOT of bullsh*t you don't need to know if you just want info for good first aid. IMO they also don't teach the same level of trauma medicine as some "tactical" courses might.

Do they go over GSW, lacerations , etc

Ever even looked into med training so I am interested to hear your thoughts.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Do they go over GSW, lacerations , etc

Ever even looked into med training so I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Yes and no.

When I took EMT-Basic they went over all of that stuff. They told you how to stop bleeding with direct pressure and a tourniquet. Funny thing, they actually never showed our class how to tie a tourniquet! I had to learn that on my own. I'm sure most classes do though.

Still, they don't emphasize things the way some of the tac classes do. They don't make you know that direct pressure takes HARD pressure to stop severe bleeding. They don't hammer tourniquets into your head like the tac classes do. So yeah they teach it, but IMO they don't do it well.

IMO some of the companies that do tactical instruction around here probably teach a better "Tactical Medicine" (or whatever they market it as) class that would benefit you better if you're looking for first aid against serious injuries. Who needs to know 130+ hours (which is EMT-Basic) of how to write a report, give oxygen, and spinal immobilize people (which, in my opinion, is a totally useless procedure) for that?

Any medical training is good, but there are A LOT of EMT's that lack skills in trauma. However, if you supplement that training with extra research on your own then you should be good with that stuff.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yes and no.

When I took EMT-Basic they went over all of that stuff. They told you how to stop bleeding with direct pressure and a tourniquet. Funny thing, they actually never showed our class how to tie a tourniquet! I had to learn that on my own. I'm sure most classes do though.

now THAT's dumb, maybe an oversight? If in doubt.... a student SHOULD have asked.

mbz300sdl_GF

Nov 13, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I've been a EMT for 13 years now and I started as a volunteer and yes my ambulance company sent me to class it was two days a week for about six months it was a 131 hours of training when I took the program and people on here are right a lot of the skills u need u learn on the street not in the classroom but the class it self does teach you the basics

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I was reading through several of the threads about medical training so I figured Id do a google search and check out some of the volunteer fire departments and found this:

http://www.mfri.org/

I thought it was interesting and would pass it on. They provide the training for fire departments in MD and the training is free if you are a member of one of the departments. I know a lot of areas are volunteer fire depts and maybe this is an option for those that want to get basic medical responder training?

Didn't dive to deep but thought it was interesting.

Good find thanks.

There are a lot of free/cheap good resources to learn emergency care; but nothing is better than actually practicing the techniques to really master them. Best done in the presence of a qualified instructor to ensure safety and proper technique.

Learn to apply a tourniquet, this is one of the most critical skills to master.

Anyone ever see this, any good?
    http://www.to.calchiefs.org/dvd-trauma-dvd.html

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    I became an EMT back in 76, back when the red cross was on the blue triangle patch instead of the star of life. Course goes into some things you don't need, but need depends on how much you run on an ambulance. I really think thru the years I have seen almost anything you could.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Question: Is it true that most, if not all, Tactical courses will eliminate you from the roster unless you're an EMT in the first place?

I've wanted to volunteer for the longest time and as the kids get older, my time is freeing up.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I was a volunteer EMT& IV-Tech back in the 80's for about five years with a fire company. It is a great experience. In addition to the training I worked on at least a couple of hundred people with things ranging from bad stomach aches to fatal car accidents and learned a lot about field medicine. They're good skills to have your whole life no matter where you are.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Question: Is it true that most, if not all, Tactical courses will eliminate you from the roster unless you're an EMT in the first place?

I've wanted to volunteer for the longest time and as the kids get older, my time is freeing up.

It depends on the course. There are a lot of courses out there designed for the medically untrained in a "tactical" format. Some might advertise it as "Trauma Medicine for The Concealed Carry Operator"or anything of that nature. These classes are similar to military CLS in one regard, teaching the untrained how to treat severe trauma such as gunshot wounds,etc., using the latest "tactical" gear as well as improvising. I know Suarez International does a class like that taught by a trauma doctor. I can't say if it's good or not since I never attended, but that's just an example of the types of training out there. A few other places have even more in depth TCCC classes. I think CCJA, an IP on this site, does some things like that from time to time.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I was a volunteer EMT& IV-Tech back in the 80's for about five years with a fire company. It is a great experience. In addition to the training I worked on at least a couple of hundred people with things ranging from bad stomach aches to fatal car accidents and learned a lot about field medicine. They're good skills to have your whole life no matter where you are.

True. I should clarify, I highly encourage people to volunteer if they want. BUT if you just want to take EMT as a means of first aid and don't wish to actually provide care as a volunteer, there are better options.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I have been a firefighter for 25 years, both career and volunteer. I got my EMT cert in 1992. I am now a paramedic. Also, I now assist as a part time adjunct instructor for a paramedic class.

With that being said, I can confirm all classes, both EMT and paramedic teach the knowledge required for dealing with medical/traumatic emergencies. EXPERIENCE is the final part that is required to truly understand the skills. The students we get in medic class who have worked/volunteered as EMTs have a much better understanding of what is going on. That being said, becoming a volunteer (even if your end goal is to make a career) and getting EMT through MFRI is great exposure to emergency medicine. The class is a great base, but in order for you to learn how to apply the knowledge requires field experience.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    See if the training you'll be getting is on a state level or national cert....Having read some of the post here .. I have a feeling I'm the oldest replying...

Career: 28 yrs

Vol: 43 yrs

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    You could always do what I did; 13 years of AD as Army medic, AF Nurse, AF PA, then 19 yrs. as Reservist--training was free, experience was real-world and I got to travel to exotic parts of the world like Honduras, Nicaragua, Senegal, Kuwait and Baghdad!

The military is always looking for new bodies......

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The amount if experience you get will depend in the number of hours you work or volunteer, the time of day and week, and most importantly, where you ride.

An EMT who rides weekends on a busy PG County medic unit will have a significantly different experience than a weeknight volunteer with an upper Montgomery County BLS unit.

Another option for EMTs who want practical experience is to seek a job as Technician at a urgent care clinic, ER or trauma center.

Practical experience can change you. Anyone who has spent even part of the summer at the 93rd Street Medical Clinic in OC, usually becomes religious about condoms and sun screen.

Riding an inner city medic unit will cure you of the urge to rush into a scene that hasn't been cleared by police.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Bottom line is are you looking to become an EMT and use those skills as a volunteer, or are you just looking for free training to get medical knowledge?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I did the AAR in the "training" section on Dark Angel Medical's class, which I highly recommend and seems to be what several people on here are seeking.

Suarez International also does some "Trauma Medicine for the Concealed Carry Operator" classes, which I have heard good things about (I believe they incorporate live fire and force on force in those classes....Gasman can confirm). I believe some other trainers like Redback One, Paul Howe, etc., incorporate med training in their classes.

Funny thing is that, one guy in the Dark Angel class is an EMT in either Montgomery County or maybe Northern VA, and he said they don't even have tourniquets in their trucks! Nuts! I own more than he does, and I am not in a line of work anywhere CLOSE to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom