• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I use them at work but only the slip on kind. Great for searching people and all those 5-11 gloves and hatch gloves are CRAP

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    There's a big quality difference in materials between the craftsman brand and the Mechanix's brand, If your just being tacticool then they will be fine, want a work glove and you will wear them out quickly.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    There's a big quality difference in materials between the craftsman brand and the Mechanix's brand, If your just being tacticool then they will be fine, want a work glove and you will wear them out quickly.

Every time I have used Mechanix gloves for actual work, they have failed. Light shooting? Ok maybe. I have a pair of their "light duty" gloves for shooting my AK (handguard heats up).

I did steamfitting work as a helper for about a month. I was given a pair of Black Stallion gloves, that I wore for three weeks and held up great. Unfortunately I lost them... brought in a pair of Mechanix gloves and they literally fell apart in two days.

Keep that in mind. IMO they're overpriced, but might be worth it if they're on sale. Hell those crappy black leather Army issue gloves are better than Mechanix.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    Every time I have used Mechanix gloves for actual work, they have failed. Light shooting? Ok maybe. I have a pair of their "light duty" gloves for shooting my AK (handguard heats up).

I did steamfitting work as a helper for about a month. I was given a pair of Black Stallion gloves, that I wore for three weeks and held up great. Unfortunately I lost them... brought in a pair of Mechanix gloves and they literally fell apart in two days.

Keep that in mind. IMO they're overpriced, but might be worth it if they're on sale. Hell those crappy black leather Army issue gloves are better than Mechanix.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

I had a totally different experience unless they have gone down hill in more recent years, but when I worked on cars I would use them changing tires, turning rotors etc and they beat all the other brands hands down, My snap-on guy would even sell them over the snap on branded as he got less returns.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I had a totally different experience unless they have gone down hill in more recent years, but when I worked on cars I would use them changing tires, turning rotors etc and they beat all the other brands hands down, My snap-on guy would even sell them over the snap on branded as he got less returns.

May be possible but I have found the materials in Mechanix brand gloves do not have very good scratch/abrasive resistance at all. The last pair I wore out was during working on guns....

I handled a few thousand rifles over a month or so that had picatinny rails and was keeping my fingers from getting abraded. The Mechanix stitching fell apart, the occasional contact with picatinny rails also started to wear holes in the materials. And these were the $30 heavier duty ones.

I liked the Black Stallion gloves I've used much better. Maybe I got a few bad pairs, but I have kind of soured on them for anything but real light work. I think $20-35 gloves (at MSRP) should hold up a bit better. Just my opinion though. :thumbsup:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    My experiences with them have been good working on cars. I mostly posted it so others could take advantage of what I thought was a good deal at over 50% off. Haven't tried them for shooting. I use bicycle gloves sometimes when shooting.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    When I worked at sears in college, if you flipped the tag out on the craftsman pro gloves the the front of the label was the mechanix logo.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I have a couple pair that I have used more for working than shooting, there are different grades of them. I'm not sure which ones they are, but the pair with the leather palms have held up way better than the others.

The cheap ones will crap out on you in short order.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have a couple pair that I have used more for working than shooting, there are different grades of them. I'm not sure which ones they are, but the pair with the leather palms have held up way better than the others.

The cheap ones will crap out on you in short order.

Took me a while to figure out the suede looking material used in the cheap ones was paper

DD55

Sep 22, 2013
    Anne Arundel
    I am going to pick up a pair and try them for shooting. I have used them for work but they didn't last long. That's a good price, thanks for the heads up!

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    They were out of them at Gaithersburg. I got the $24 pair for $6 . I had $6 in rewards I'd not known about

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Have used many brands and types....I'll stick with Nitrile. Nice find op.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom