• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MG in MD

Feb 11, 2016
    Linthicum
    Thank you guys for coming out! I enjoyed meeting and working with ya'll and putting faces to the names to the handles!!

I'd also like to extend a very hearty 'Thank you!' to Marc357 and BillPrudden for working with me on these events, I couldn't do it without you guys. :bowdown:

BTW, is anyone missing a stainless steel Allen drive setscrew? It is about a #8 x 3/8"+/- and the finish is 'silver'. We flipped open one of the ground cloths and started shooting and found it under a rifle after a few shots. After going over the rifle and bipod hardware, we could not find it missing from anything we had on the line this morning, so it must have come from one of you guys. Let me know and I'll drop it in the mail.
    a) By decreasing the scope height over bore, we reduce the convergence angle (amount of elevation necessary to align line of sight with line of bore). Decreasing convergence angle serves to decrease the divergence angle on the other side of your zero range by a corresponding amount. Net result: you will need MORE elevation adjustment, not less.

b) The magnitude of change due to moving the scope up or down 3/4" is approximately 0.6354249 moa at 1,200 yards.

So I'm not sure if this means a smaller scope height is a good thing or not.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    So I'm not sure if this means a smaller scope height is a good thing or not.
    Usually, a higher scope height is counterproductive to solid gun handling, because most rifle stocks are already too low at the comb and raising the scope any more than necessary exacerbates this issue. This is one reason I find it hard to be excited about 56-60mm rifle scopes.

The very minor change in downrange trajectory is more a matter of knowing how to compensate than any sort of ballistic advantage. Your ballistics program needs this info to correctly calculate downrange bullet path.

Further, the small trajectory difference is too buried in the noise to be considered an advantage. It is below many shooter's average group size, but more important, it is below the velocity deviation we will usually experience with all but the most carefully developed handloads.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'd like to thank this most recent group for coming out and for your very kind words. It is great to meet the people we've been chatting with here on line and to see some old friends.

Thanks VERY MUCH to Bill Prudden again as well. Without the very generous assistance of folks like this, we couldn't do this with these numbers and for this cost. Thank you!
    ....(thanks to Bill for reintroducing this word to my vocab).
    Excellent. We strive to present a well rounded class. Confucius said: "The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name." and we try to ****ing keep that going ;)

How late did you guys run on Sunday? I didn't realize my weekend was Father's Day, and I'm trying to see what's in store.
    We shot till 4 and got out of there around 4:45. Sunday is a full day. The second half of Sunday is when you really get to test what you have learned.
    We usually go to 4:30-5pm. While it is true that we really start to see the results of your hard work during the second afternoon, if anyone needs to break out a little early for personal matters, it is not a problem.

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    My son is going to attend the 6th class with me. I sent a message to Pinecone to count me as 2 people.

Lexington

Feb 29, 2016
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Fun weekend everyone, it was nice meeting you guys. Learned a lot and that I did every thing wrong, literally. Thanks again Ed for everything, you are a HUGE wealth of knowledge and a ****ing magician with a solid bipod/rear bag setup. I would literally **** (thanks to Bill for reintroducing this word to my vocab) with the bag for 5 mins and not get it right, Ed jumps in and 15 seconds it's solid.

I need to practice with the new knowledge and maybe make a visit later in the year.

I've taken this class once before with Ed, and being taught a solid bipod/rear bag setup was the single biggest factor to my improvement. And it remains that way for me to this day.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    If someone I class 6 would like to swap for my class 5 spot drop me a PM.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Class 4 (yes FOUR) coming up quick, can't wait! I will be bringing 2 10x10 easy-ups to help keep the weather off of us.

Last edited:

SevenT6Vet

May 5, 2015
    Richmond, Va
    Class 4 is imminent! Anyone know what time we need to show up at the range?

+1 I can't wait! I'm going to bring an EZup as well, along with 80 other items that I may or may not use: tarps, sand bags, Caldwell lead sled, 2 spotting scopes, triple redundancy in rifles/scope/ammo, chronograph, graphing calculator, graph paper, log book, off, SPF70, snacks/water, TP, clothes, etc....what am I missing? :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    CHANGE

Opening in Class 5 on June 25/26.

Someone switched from Class 5 to Class 6, so have that slot open. Act fast. Guaranteed dates.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, several people in Class 4 have NOT sent deposits. We have also had someone step up with replacements.

SO, if you have not sent your deposit to Ed, or contacted Ed to make arrangements to get him the deposit, by MONDAY JUNE 15, you WILL be dropped from the course.

Your deposit was SUPPOSED to be to Ed by May 15. So you are a month late.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    If anyone from class 6 is looking to switch to class 5, please let me know. I can still make 5 if necessary, but would like a little more time to prep if possible.

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    CHANGE

Opening in Class 5 on June 25/26.

Someone switched from Class 5 to Class 6, so have that slot open. Act fast. Guaranteed dates.

I currently do not have a long-range rifle, but am looking to get into this type of shooting. My knowledge of shooting at longer distances is what I have read on here, blogs, and other websites (not much).

Would it be possible to fill the open spot in class 5? I would have to borrow/rent a rifle. I probably have everything else that is needed to attend the class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom