• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Damn I wish I could do this now. Still need to get a .308 and hone my skills a little before I would feel comfortable even going. It is on my list of things to do someday though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't home amything . You will have to unlearm it. Go and get educated a little then work on improving from there. If you don't want to go I'm a big group set up a class with a couple of friends.
    Just she friendly advice

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Don't home amything . You will have to unlearm it. Go and get educated a little then work on improving from there. If you don't want to go I'm a big group set up a class with a couple of friends.
    Just she friendly advice
    :drunk:
    Yeah....I think...I mean, if I understand what you said, then...yes.

This is good advice. Trying to practice before taking a class just further ingrains anything your are doing that is not helping you. It will make it that much more difficult to learn the best way. It's a class, not an exam.

The same things goes for zeroing your rifle before attending. This is NOT important, for several reasons:

a) We may adjust your shooting position, which will alter your rifle fit, which may alter your point of impact.

b) We will almost surely have to correctly level your scope and possibly move it to provide correct eye relief. If you leveled your scope with anything but a machinist's level, it would be correct only by luck. Levels like torpedo levels, carpenter's levels and anything/everything made by Wheeler/Caldwell are a waste of time in the context of 'precision'.

c) Whether you are zeroed or not, we will begin by shooting at 100 yards to verify zero and to evaluate shooting habits.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    :drunk:
    Yeah....I think...I mean, if I understand what you said, then...yes.

This is good advice. Trying to practice before taking a class just further ingrains anything your are doing that is not helping you. It will make it that much more difficult to learn the best way. It's a class, not an exam.

The same things goes for zeroing your rifle before attending. This is NOT important, for several reasons:

a) We may adjust your shooting position, which will alter your rifle fit, which may alter your point of impact.

b) We will almost surely have to correctly level your scope and possibly move it to provide correct eye relief. If you leveled your scope with anything but a machinist's level, it would be correct only by luck. Levels like torpedo levels, carpenter's levels and anything/everything made by Wheeler/Caldwell are a waste of time in the context of 'precision'.

c) Whether you are zeroed or not, we will begin by shooting at 100 yards to verify zero and to evaluate shooting habits.

This is the stuff that makes me excited to attend!!!! I hope I realized that everything I'm doing is wrong and helps shrink my groups at distance! Come on May!!!!!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm sure it just hasn't been updated but the original post shows an opening in the third class, is it is or is it ain't?

No, someone else, who signed up a while ago, wanted it.

If you want to sign up, you go into the 5th class. Then, you may ask for other openings, but the earlier someone signed up, the higher their priority for chances.

You can work out a trade with anyone. But that is all on YOU. Just have BOTH people involved PM when you work it out.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I expressed interest and was booked into the 2nd group. I was unaware of that until just now. Obviously payment was not sent by the deadline. Is spot available for someone else to take? I cannot make that date...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Magnetic1 would like the spot in the 2nd class. He's a good friend of mine and I talked him into buying a RPR when I found mine so he's jumping in w both feet;)

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Just messaged Pinecone ... Hopefully I can finally get in... Was close last time :)

Thanks JT!

Hope someone can still take the spot. I'd love to go myself but was unaware of the dates and that I was signed up in the 2nd group. Hopefully I can get down to a class this summer

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I need an optic for sure..
    Any recommendations in the $ 1 k range or would that just be a waste.

Also need a mount for the Springfield m1a..which has me confused..I am a pure Newbe .

Sorry for off topic...but if I can get my equipment and other issues in place in time..I really want to try long range..

Lexington

Feb 29, 2016
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Brooklyn, google "M14 scope mounts". I suggest Sadlak, but there are many options. I was big into the M14 platform for several years, collecting USGI parts and acquiring several M1A/M14 rifles. I don't use a scope on them, however, so have no advice there.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    JT are you cancelling totally, or wanting to swap to another class?

Due to personal obligations I'm cancelling. Some things came up and I just do not have time currently. Thanks for setting this up and hopefully I can get into another class at a later date when time permits

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I need an optic for sure..
    Any recommendations in the $ 1 k range or would that just be a waste.

Also need a mount for the Springfield m1a..which has me confused..I am a pure Newbe .

Sorry for off topic...but if I can get my equipment and other issues in place in time..I really want to try long range..

See if Ed will have a loaner rifle available. Unless it's an LBR M25 with built in scope base, putting together a scoped M1A before hand, that is not a proven combination, could be a frustrating process. Scoped M1A's are notorious for running out of adjustments a lot closer then people realize.

Good luck

Jerry

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member